Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think the point people are making is that Montreal Worlds, even factored for the exchange rate, is more expensive than comparable events in relatively recent Worlds in North America and want to know why. (If Worlds were held in a Eurozone or Nordic country or Switzerland, the exchange rate would have taken an even bigger bite, the time zone difference would be at least twice as much from most of mainland NA, and housing wouldn't be uniformly cheaper.) For some people, it's a question of whether it is worth it, like the cost-benefit analysis I did for a knitting cruise to Alaska and decided it wasn't, and for others, it's a matter of not being able to afford it. Comparing it to any other concert/ticket is meaningless, if the total cost is prohibitive, especially when travel is factored in.

I agree with those who believe that both the size of the venue and ticket prices were chosen because so many fans from Japan, and increasingly from China, will travel and pay the prices. Montreal is also convenient from Europe, and the Euro, Swiss Franc, and Nordic currencies are strong against the Canadian dollar, so probably a wash or near to it.

I think another factor is that if it were in a smaller venue again like fake London in a city that had not much else going for it from a vacation point-of-view and so fewer choices to stay within walking or reliable and robust transit, there would have been hell to pay for Skate Canada, even with lower prices, unless, like the Vancouver Olympics, tickets were sold to Canadian residents first and tickets for other countries were limited and allotted to central agencies.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I went to Boston Worlds and it was nowhere as expensive as Montreal is.
As someone who also went to Boston Worlds, I completely disagree. I get that you're exaggerating to make your point, but that's really all you have, exaggeration.

KaitlynB123

Banned Member
They need to hold Worlds in Oakland again.
Alyssa Liu wouldn't have to stay in a hotel.
I hear there is an outlet mall nearby Oakland Coliseum.
Another FSUer told me that you could take a train to the Coliseum too. She also told me that I could stay at her home for free if Worlds was ever in the San Francisco area.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
IDK how you can claim I'm exaggerating since I'm the one who footed the bill for Boston, unless you're hacking into my CC statements.
Yes, let's support arguments with vagaries and using the mysterious "unknown" to support our argument instead when bluster fails. :rolleyes:

I understand how people are saying Montreal is expensive, but to go on to say that it's "nowhere as expensive" as Boston is ridiculous. Here's my breakdown of my cost for Boston Worlds and a comparison with a comparable seat for Montreal Worlds:

Boston Worlds​
$1295 USD for an All Event Ticket that did NOT include the Gala.​
$1389 USD adjusted for inflation.​
Montreal Worlds​
$1675 CAD - This is roughly $1250 USD. This includes the Gala.​
Montreal Worlds - Better Seat than I had in Boston.​
$2100 CAD - This is roughly $1560 USD. This includes the Gala.​

Let's add the cost of the Gala to the Boston price. We'd be well over $1400, which sits roughly between the two Montreal price points.

So, again, I don't see how Boston Worlds was "nowhere near as expensive" as Montreal is as you keep insisting. I see it as roughly the same.

pat c

Worlds in VAn 2001 - $615.00 hotel $780
Worlds in Clg 2006- tix $984 hotel was $520 (actually an apt like airbnb)

Both tix were like first balcony not lower level. Considering this is how many years later........Boston was a sweet deal for the same tix first or second balcony I think were $360.00. Bottom line, it is what it is. If you want to go to worlds, plan accordingly. I thought at the time that Boston was really an aberration. Does that stop me from going to another worlds? No. I'll be there.

AnnM

I paid approximately $800 for an all event ticket in Boston, lower bowl, off center but not at an end. A comparable seat in Montreal is going to be approximately $1250 USD.

Maybe $450 is a negligible amount to some people in comparing price points. For others, it's prohibitive. Of course inflation, locale, etc. matters, but I've been traveling to events with the same group of friends for over 17 years and we were all taken aback to some degree at the pricing for Montreal.

clairecloutier

I already said this earlier in the thread, but my 2016 Boston all-event ticket for an end seat, some 12-20 rows up, was about $700 US. A comparable seat in Montreal is $1000 US after the conversion. A 30 percent price increase.

I have heard from many people, on FSU, Twitter, and elsewhere, that they were surprised by the high prices in Montreal.

Everyone has their threshold of what they can afford or justify paying for a skating event.

Princessroja

Yes, I had one of the most inexpensive tickets (most?) available for Boston, and it was $250 new. I think it even included the gala, although I didn't go. Montreal's cheapest tickets thus far are 3x that. I'm genuinely glad that so many people have several thousand dollars to throw at going to an event I dearly hoped to go to, but I don't. I can't triple my costs for the ticket alone. Boston was the best week of my life, better than my honeymoon even. If I could justify the cost, I would go. But I can't.

Now, if they eventually open up the upper bowl tickets, then that's a different story altogether. I really hope they do that! Those tickets would sell like hotcakes so it really would be in their favor.

peibeck

Simply looking
There are 8 events. Each event is several hours long (longer than most concerts). How much would 8 Beyonce front row tickets cost?

No offense to you, I still do not understand the logic of these INSANE prices. (Beyonce or no Beyonce. :lol: )

There are 8 events at Skate Canada, yes, less skaters, but all 8 events (and I assume the exhibition), top ticket: $325.
For Worlds the price is almost EIGHT TIMES as much. And guess what.... the event is not eight times as long.

I have already made too many arrangements and pre-paid my hotel to get an exceptional rate, but I'm still weighing out my options on what tier of ticket price I'll be able to swing. Starting off an event with a bitter taste in one's mouth, is not likely to make spectators enjoy it more. YMMV.

Japanfan

Starting off an event with a bitter taste in one's mouth, is not likely to make spectators enjoy it more. YMMV.

But in that case, why go at all?

I can't afford to go - couldn't even if the prices were a bit cheaper, given that I'd have to pay airfare from Vancouver and hotel, and take time off work as a self-employed person who has no vacation time paid by an employer.

But if I were going to shell out $$ to go, I'd start the event off in a happy, holiday mood.

peibeck

Simply looking
But in that case, why go at all?

Because there are skaters I want to see and support. I don't know how many more big events I will get to attend, and by next March I will probably be less grumpy in anticipation of rooting all the skaters on. But I know now, I will never plan on attending another North American Worlds if this is going to be the norm.

KatieC

I don't know the exact numbers, but I recall checking out the tickets for Worlds in London Ontario a few years back, and they topped a thousand dollars. My friend and I decided to go to Skate Canada instead, and loved it. My backside was grateful :). I guess I figured the prices wouldn't be drastically different this time around. Worlds in Canada is expensive, but Skate Canada last fall was not, so I got the Montreal experience without the snow :)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I emailed yesterday to see if I could get a heads up on when the presale would be, since it's kind of a nuisance to keep all of next week free not knowing which day I'll need to be purchasing tickets.

The response was prompt and courteous:

Unfortunately, there is no specific date set yet for the pre-sale. Please keep an eye on your email a few days ahead of the onsale date of May 31st.

jkl

I emailed yesterday to see if I could get a heads up on when the presale would be, since it's kind of a nuisance to keep all of next week free not knowing which day I'll need to be purchasing tickets.

Unfortunately, there is no specific date set yet for the pre-sale. Please keep an eye on your email a few days ahead of the onsale date of May 31st.

I got the same response. I need to let my credit card company know that I will be making an International purchase over a $1000. I was told that TicketMaster is planning to let us make installment payments.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
As much as I love attending world's and nationals, I cannot justify spending $7000-$10,000 for a single vacation. Airfare, hotels, food, transportation, tickets and other entertainment dollars do equal that much for me. I've done the math several times over. I did it for Boston, I've done it for Nationals. It's not the event tickets themselves that breaks the bank, it's the associated travel/living expenses.

If I'm going to spend that much money it needs to be a travel experience for both my husband and me. And skating is my passion not his.

GP events are more my vacation dollars output style these days. Where costs run $1200-2200, depending on airfare and hotel prices.

I absolutely need to factor in airfare, hotels, food and transportation costs into any skating travel plans prior to making ticket purchase.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
As much as I love attending world's and nationals, I cannot justify spending $7000-$10,000 for a single vacation. Airfare, hotels, food, transportation, tickets and other entertainment dollars do equal that much for me. I've done the math several times over. I did it for Boston, I've done it for Nationals. It's not the event tickets themselves that breaks the bank, it's the associated travel/living expenses.

If I'm going to spend that much money it needs to be a travel experience for both my husband and me. And skating is my passion not his.

GP events are more my vacation dollars output style these days. Where costs run $1200-2200, depending on airfare and hotel prices.

I absolutely need to factor in airfare, hotels, food and transportation costs into any skating travel plans prior to making ticket purchase.

Is the $7000 - $10,000 you're calculating for Worlds for one person attending or two? That sounds high even when considering transportation, lodging, etc. I think the most I've spent on a skating event was $3500 for Worlds in London, and that's only because the hotel price gouged us.

jkl

If I had to spend $10,000 to go to Worlds I would be watching NBC Sports Gold on my iPad from the comfort of my recliner. I will be using Delta Skymiles and Hilton Honors points to make this trip affordable. This is all assuming I get tickets:)

peibeck

Simply looking

Well that response is helpful... said no one.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I got the same response. I need to let my credit card company know that I will be making an International purchase over a $1000. I was told that TicketMaster is planning to let us make installment payments.

I called Visa to let them know I'd be making a big big international purchase next week (something I never would have thought to do, so thank you jkl).

The very nice young woman I spoke to said she'd make a note to that effect, but I would have to tell Visa which day I'd be making the purchase for the note to be official. Which of course I can't do because Skate Canada wouldn't tell me when the presale is. :wall:

Reactions: jkl

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
FYI - The montreal2020.com website has been updated with a more detailed FAQ section and a new seat map in the ticket section. This new map seems to include areas that were whited out on the previous version. I'm really hoping to snag seats behind the judges. Also, it says that the deadline to get on the mailing list for ticket info is tomorrow (May 24th).

jkl

I just got an email from Skate Canada that tickets will go on sale next week but not through TicketMaster. They referred me to the montreal2020 website but I didn’t see anything new there.
Actually I got the email twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information