Michelle Kwan Throws Her Hat into the Political Rink

attyfan

Campaign people make their money afterwards when they go to for-profit political firms. Campaigns themselves only pay their ad and polling people well.

IIRC, Michelle is reported to have made several million dollars during her career, so I doubt that she is worried about where her next meal will come from if she is not well paid. In such a case, I think it is quite commendable of her to work on behalf of causes and candidates that she believes in.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Coco Surrogates in the political sense are media commentators such as elected representatives or pundits, whose job is to speak out publicly in support of the candidate and his/her campaign. So I'd guess that Michelle's job is to get people to agree to be surrogates on particular issues or events, and then help get them on TV, radio, newspapers, social media, etc. to spread the word.

PDilemma

Love your genetic theory. ;)

Regarding the issue of Biden's behavior towards women, I think I saw in his announcement speech he referenced all men being created equal. A commentator said, "read the room, Joe!"

Oh, FFS, he was quoting Thomas Jefferson in the context of talking about an incident at the University of Virginia which Jefferson founded. And quoting the Declaration of Independence, no less. Are we now required to rewrite our founding documents?

You want a misogynist? How about the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue who seems to consider women nothing but accessories and sexual objects? How about Bernie Sanders constantly wagging his fingers at women, tolerating harassment on his campaign staff, or winking at the "Bernie Bros" sexist rhetoric in 2016?

As for Michelle, I did see a lot of nasty comments about her working on this campaign in response to the People magazine article. Of course, People conveniently emphasized her skating career and made no mention of her applicable degrees or work experience leaving uninformed readers to think Biden hired a random Olympian because she's famous.

aftershocks

Banned Member
wicked cute pic!

I can't wait til she runs for something herself. :rollin:

Yah! I opened this thread thinking that's what it would be about, especially due to the way the thread title is phrased. MK running for some kind of political office herself. :swoon:

Indeed, the conversation here seems definitely more suited to PI.

I wish that the parties would find some term other than "surrogate" for this job. It sounds like Michelle is arranging for people to have Joe Biden's babies :lol:

:eek: :rofl: The English language is always changing, adapting, and reinventing itself ... semantics, semantics is more than just a notion, or a fixed thingy. :p

I hope she helps get the sack of shit idiot out of power. Make America Nice Again.

Or maybe MAHA......Make America Human Again

Pete Bute-Edge-Edge or BUST!

just sayin

:watch:

Im becoming an ole fart and even I want to see young blood in White House.

(And some damn good Christmas decorations with him and Chasten)

:lol: This thread is so hi-larious. :watch: Lots of Americans are quite eager for the voting to begin already! But alas, the endless campaigning we must endure and pay attention to first. :COP:

Meanwhile, :cheer2: :cheer: :encore: :cool: :kickass:
Go get 'em Kween! I'm for Biden plus whoever youngblood (Gillenbrand; Butta-keg/ Buttigieg; Abrams; Gillum; Beto; or maybe even AOC for vp) on the 2020 Democrat ticket! Let's go!

Last edited:

Jaana

PDilemma:
As for Michelle, I did see a lot of nasty comments about her working on this campaign in response to the People magazine article. Of course, People conveniently emphasized her skating career and made no mention of her applicable degrees or work experience leaving uninformed readers to think Biden hired a random Olympian because she's famous.

I doubt that anyone is hired because of being a random Olympian..., a totally different matter is an Olympic medalist (in Kwan´s case a two-time Olympic medalist) plus of course all her other merits in and outside skating.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I doubt that anyone is hired because of being a random Olympian..., a totally different matter is an Olympic medalist (in Kwan´s case a two-time Olympic medalist) plus of course all her other merits in and outside skating.

'Random Olympian' is an insult that positions Michelle - the well-known Olympian - as superior to the lesser known athlete..

Very few people will ever compete at an Olympic Games in any sport, and making it to the Olympics is a huge accomplishment and honour for an athlete. Even if it is Tae Kwan Do or the high jump or weightlifting.

Getting a medal is of course also fantastic, but most Olympicans don't win medals.

Last edited:

cmk

I really thought Tara would be a good commentator but she lets the guy with the poodle haircut (aka Weir) drag her down. I would give Kwan and Boitano a chance to commentate ( I don't think they could do worse).

I wanted to vote our mayor out ( gives no credit for city income tax paid to the city you work in so you get double taxed when you don't work in town). Unfortunately, he's running unopposed. Democrats need to nominate someone decent because Trump has to go.

Sylvia

TBD
Glad you did.

ETA:
What does a surrogates director do?
Snippet from the 4/26/19 People article:

The Olympic medalist, 38, will serve as the former vice president’s surrogate director, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

According to the Post, the role involves creating relationships with political officials and celebrities and arranging for them to speak at various campaign events and to the media.

Urban Queen

Banned Member
I wouldn't judge her political abilities by her skating.
This is an excellent point.

I am loath to say more on such a polarizing topic, but I have always enjoyed watching Michelle's skating and will continue to do so regardless of her major party political affiliation.

Carolla5501

I really thought Tara would be a good commentator but she lets the guy with the poodle haircut (aka Weir) drag her down. I would give Kwan and Boitano a chance to commentate ( I don't think they could do worse).

I wanted to vote our mayor out ( gives no credit for city income tax paid to the city you work in so you get double taxed when you don't work in town). Unfortunately, he's running unopposed. Democrats need to nominate someone decent because Trump has to go.

IT's actually hard to imagine someone who could do worse at commentating then the sideshow twins, but Trump does come to mind.

Urban Queen

Banned Member
IT's actually hard to imagine someone who could do worse at commentating then the sideshow twins, but Trump does come to mind.
Is the Sideshow Twins a reference to characters from The Simpsons? The nickname does not connect with me, but I am a bit of a skating newbie.

Of all the negative things I've read about Donald Trump, the claim that he would be a terrible figure skating commentator is certainly unique. I can't say it's something I would have ever pondered.

I believe Michelle would be an excellent commentary provider but I hope she is even more satisfied with her political work.

mattiecat13

All you have to do is listen to a couple of programs where Tom Hammond, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic are commentating and you will appreciate Terry, Johnny and Tara more, though I think Tara is the weak link in that team.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@Coco Surrogates in the political sense are media commentators such as elected representatives or pundits, whose job is to speak out publicly in support of the candidate and his/her campaign. So I'd guess that Michelle's job is to get people to agree to be surrogates on particular issues or events, and then help get them on TV, radio, newspapers, social media, etc. to spread the word.
That is a role?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
All you have to do is listen to a couple of programs where Tom Hammond, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic are commentating and you will appreciate Terry, Johnny and Tara more, though I think Tara is the weak link in that team.

The commentary of Sandra Bezic and Tonia Kwiatkowski is far superior to that of Lipinski and her flamboyant partner.

-BB

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
That is a role?

Yes...

According to the Post, the role involves creating relationships with political officials and celebrities and arranging for them to speak at various campaign events and to the media.

...and as Sylvia pointed out, surrogates can be used in any number of situations where the candidate just can't be present, including but not limited to:

* Panels of arguing talking heads (or, really, hacks), interviews, or other guest appearances on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, local stations, etc.
* Multiple small-scale fundraisers happening at the same time at any given time across the country; since the candidate can't attend all of them, then a celebrity or local/national politician will stand in as the headliner.
* Multiple volunteer or other organizing events happening at the same time; again, a surrogate or special guest can show up to rally the troops.

In the first case, usually you'll have a press-facing campaign rep or a skilled politician facing the media (and her/his fellow hacks).

In the second, as an example, in the 2015-2016 cycle I was a co-host of several small Bay Area fundraisers for HRC where the headliners were, respectively, Michelle Kwan herself, my hometown mayor, and Cher.

In the third, I've hosted or organized HRC volunteer mobilizations and rallies that collectively featured any number of local politicians, nationally known ones like Sen. Cory Booker, or celebrities like Tony Goldwyn.

TLDR: A national campaign has to be, well, national, and the candidate just can't be everywhere at the same time.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really thought Tara would be a good commentator but she lets the guy with the poodle haircut (aka Weir) drag her down.

:lol: Tara and Johnny have a good vibe together generally, and especially when they are covering events like color commentary for the Kentucky Derby and the Westminster Dog Show at Madison Square Garden. :encore:

When it comes to skating commentary, it's completely the other way around re who is dragging whom down. :COP: But OTOH, there's generally good chemistry between Tara, Johnny and Terry in the booth. They are just all freakin' limited and circumscribed by the network's and the sport's straitjacketed, old-fashioned format.

Johnny Weir was par excellence in the booth (sans Tara L) for Ice Network, covering the men at the 2012 U.S. National championships. :respec: It's what garnered Johnny the credibility and the kudos that pushed his commentating career forward. His witty and insightful commentary makes that U.S. men's event memorable to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information