Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I’m watching this right now and I think this may be the first time she spoke about reporters in Nagano asking her what it was like being “so close to home” and the “American beats Kwan” headline.
I cringed at that headline. I still kind of do. It wasn't like Kwan lost to a Japanese or Russia, so it does make sense. But god, the optics.... I suppose you could talk your way out of it, that Kwan was the world leader, and who could even beat her? Well, another American was the only one. And did, decisively. Olympic skating fans remember Kwan's skating, and not the two "Americans" who beat her. I will never automatically accuse someone of being racist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-gender of ANY gender, what else is missing? Well, I don't think that way. It is extremely sad that some, who really think they are being social acitivists and defenders, just don't represent ANYONE. And they don't see it. It's extremely sad. They don't even give themselves a shot at being approved and accepted and successful. Go with the flow, people.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Michelle's video of herself enjoying a beautiful villa setting overlooking the ocean ("Finishing another 365 day adventure around the sun - always grateful ❤️"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CRAG8L2lB-j/

ETA:

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Michelle's video of herself enjoying a beautiful villa setting overlooking the ocean ("Finishing another 365 day adventure around the sun - always grateful ❤️"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CRAG8L2lB-j/

ETA:
May your dreams come true!

Sylvia

TBD
Michelle's conversation with Moira Forbes earlier today (44 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swjZh_zT8U

The most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, Michelle Kwan is no stranger to the intensity of professional competition or the unprecedented pressure Olympic athletes face. The two-time Olympic medalist, five-time World Champion and nine-time U.S. champion sat down with Moira Forbes to discuss strategies for achieving a peak performance mindset and how she’s finding new purpose after her Olympic career.

As part of her next chapter, Kwan will host the upcoming documentary podcast “Summer of Gold.” Produced by TOGETHXR and Dear Media, the series will revisit the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta through the lens of the female Olympians who dominated that summer, and comes ahead of the 25th anniversary of the Games.

The Takeaway is a weekly series bringing together top leaders who distill decades of experience into the essential tools, practical advice, and timely insight to fuel your career growth and help navigate these defining times.

Sylvia

TBD
Her Instagram has a few pictures of her wishing her boyfriend a happy birthday.
Link (from the comments these 2 vacation photos were taken on Naxos & his name is Brian :)): https://www.instagram.com/p/CTQAf7MP9aT/

New podcast hosted by Michelle:

sk9tingfan

/
Link (from the comments these 2 vacation photos were taken on Naxos & his name is Brian :)): https://www.instagram.com/p/CTQAf7MP9aT/

New podcast hosted by Michelle:
Any idea who he is?

BaileyCatts

Don't know where else to post this and it IS the Michelle Kwan thread so :D ...... for anyone that has the Hallmark Michelle Kwan snowglobe that was sold years ago, when you look at your globe, is the base the skater is standing on sort of tilted or is it completely flat? When the skater spins, does it scrap the glass a little bit? Just wondering if that is the way its supposed to be or somehow mine broke or something.

alj5

Don't know where else to post this and it IS the Michelle Kwan thread so :D ...... for anyone that has the Hallmark Michelle Kwan snowglobe that was sold years ago, when you look at your globe, is the base the skater is standing on sort of tilted or is it completely flat? When the skater spins, does it scrap the glass a little bit? Just wondering if that is the way its supposed to be or somehow mine broke or something.

Mine is pretty flat and nothing hits the glass when she spins.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have Michelle and Kristi and the base on both is slightly tilted. But nothing rubs the glass when they spin.

Also, I forget they spin so making them spin after all this time was fun! :lol:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
From the October 2021 issue of SKATING magazine
By Philip Hersh
"The next step, 18 days after her 13th birthday, came before what is believed to be the largest live audience ever to see a figure skating competition, 25,691, at the U.S. Olympic Festival at the San Antonio Alamodome. Kwan won the event with a performance that led 1960 Olympic champion Carol Heiss to tell me, “Today she became a star.”

I think my first "real" skating competition that I attended was the Olympic Festival in San Antonio. Yes, Kwan really stole the show there. Like Lipinski and the Stieglets in following years. I didn't realize it was the largest fs audience ever in attendance though. Really?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
"The next step, 18 days after her 13th birthday, came before what is believed to be the largest live audience ever to see a figure skating competition, 25,691, at the U.S. Olympic Festival at the San Antonio Alamodome. Kwan won the event with a performance that led 1960 Olympic champion Carol Heiss to tell me, “Today she became a star.”

I think my first "real" skating competition that I attended was the Olympic Festival in San Antonio. Yes, Kwan really stole the show there. Like Lipinski and the Stieglets in following years. I didn't realize it was the largest fs audience ever in attendance though. Really?
I was in the audience at that event. Loved Michelle. I lived in Austin and skipped my skating lesson to attend this event.

VGThuy

I'm bored so I rewatched Kwan's Totentaz for some reason.

Clearly, she was not in her best fighting shape here and wasn't selling the music the way we're used to seeing her do, but ignoring all of that, I couldn't but think her non-jump elements looked really good here despite her lack of conditioning.

If she had been in better physical condition, I could see her nailing that flying camel on a really deep inside edge (maybe adding a catchfoot - albeit a slow one) - which is impressive because it was during an era when skaters were doing edges on her spins even before IJS and Kwan was not and some accused Kwan of not being able to do so...clearly she could here. Her layback would've been somewhat better and I think she could have timed her combo spin better to fit in a harder position for her forward spins (her back Y-spin looked better than ever with that stretch).

What really impressed me was her footwork and her spiral sequence. She was truly flying during that spiral (as always but she really did a lot of positions here and covered a lot of ice so quickly) and she finally figured out a position to improve her opposite leg spiral (her COE spiral had an improved outside edge position and stretch from 2004-05).

Her footwork sequence was seen "slow" at the time, but at the time we were used to fast footwork sequences. Notice how none of the top ladies at the Olympics received a level 4 footwork sequence - I think Sasha got a level 2 in the LP for the beautiful one. Now we know longer is what you need to do to get one, I think Kwan would have been capable of doing one. She did get the highest FW score at 2005 Worlds when levels were capped at level 3.

Can someone more in the know tell me judging by this footwork sequence when Kwan was far from 100% if they think she could have gotten a level 4 FW sequence? How do her steps actually look here?

Her flow was actually better than some of her previous seasons when she was healthier and landing her jumps. Her carriage was a bit messy but that could have been cleaned up with more practice and training that she couldn't do due to her injury.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I'm bored so I rewatched Kwan's Totentaz for some reason.

Clearly, she was not in her best fighting shape here and wasn't selling the music the way we're used to seeing her do, but ignoring all of that, I couldn't but think her non-jump elements looked really good here despite her lack of conditioning.

If she had been in better physical condition, I could see her nailing that flying camel on a really deep inside edge (maybe adding a catchfoot - albeit a slow one) - which is impressive because it was during an era when skaters were doing edges on her spins even before IJS and Kwan was not and some accused Kwan of not being able to do so...clearly she could here. Her layback would've been somewhat better and I think she could have timed her combo spin better to fit in a harder position for her forward spins (her back Y-spin looked better than ever with that stretch).

What really impressed me was her footwork and her spiral sequence. She was truly flying during that spiral (as always but she really did a lot of positions here and covered a lot of ice so quickly) and she finally figured out a position to improve her opposite leg spiral (her COE spiral had an improved outside edge position and stretch from 2004-05).

Her footwork sequence was seen "slow" at the time, but at the time we were used to fast footwork sequences. Notice how none of the top ladies at the Olympics received a level 4 footwork sequence - I think Sasha got a level 2 in the LP for the beautiful one. Now we know longer is what you need to do to get one, I think Kwan would have been capable of doing one. She did get the highest FW score at 2005 Worlds when levels were capped at level 3.

Can someone more in the know tell me judging by this footwork sequence when Kwan was far from 100% if they think she could have gotten a level 4 FW sequence? How do her steps actually look here?

Her flow was actually better than some of her previous seasons when she was healthier and landing her jumps. Her carriage was a bit messy but that could have been cleaned up with more practice and training that she couldn't do due to her injury.

Her Totentanz is the reason I sometimes fantasize about myself skating to it. Soon as I saw her do that 10 years ago I went and downloaded that song.

This is what I mean about the Kween always bringing us music I almost always have never heard of. And I love it

VGThuy

Her Totentanz is the reason I sometimes fantasize about myself skating to it. Soon as I saw her do that 10 years ago I went and downloaded that song.

This is what I mean about the Kween always bringing us music I almost always have never heard of. And I love it
Ironically, this was the same season Irina did this music. Tarasova, who choreographed Kwan's SP, freaked out apparently when she found out what Irina's SP music was and contacted Irina's coach to let her know. Of course, Irina was in more fighting shape this season and could keep up with the tempo better than Kwan did here.

Marco

The few times she skated in 2005 and 2006 where she tried COP spins I felt she had it in her to do these features but just needed a lot more practice time to make them level 4 and make them work. She showed that she was capable of catchfoot layback, Y spins, camel on FI edge / FO edge, sit on FO edge, bent leg camel, tucked under sit, cannonball sit, reverse camel etc, just maybe not all together.

She already wasn't a strong spinner (and compared to Turnino medalists) and was visibly struggling to keep up with those spins. By Turino all the top ladies were doing level 4 spins and Michelle was attempting some features but all her spins were level 2 at best and let's not even go into GOEs. Even if she had the practice time I am guessing her focus would have been on jumps. At 2005 Worlds we saw how the lack of prior COP competition experience hurt her. It was going to be the same for Turino if she competed.

VGThuy

It’s kind of amazing Kwan was able to place and score that she did considering her actual skate in Moscow and her lack of any experience with IJS judging. She really needed at least a full seasons worth of IJS judging and a healthy body. Had she started the work in 2004 I think she would have gotten there unlike pervasive popular thinking that she just wasn’t able to adjust to IJS skating. She wouldn’t have been able to bank on being no lower than 3rd or 2nd like she was used to but she was still somewhat competitive even in her unprepared stage. Imagine her in truly great shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information