Meryl Davis Marries Fedor Andreev in 'Intimate' Farmhouse Wedding in France (Provence)

Laura4

I wonder if Katia Gordeeva was there since she seemed to be close to both Marina and Fedor.

ETA: I looked at the photo of the wedding invitation in the People article and it was interesting that it just said, "Fedor Andreev, son of Marina Zoueva." I wonder what happened to his dad.

I don't know if Katia was there or not but she did post this sweet comment on Meryl's Instagram:

"Congratulations guys. Love is everything!! Hold each other tight!"

There were well wishes from many other skaters such as Sasha Cohen, Gabby Papadakis, Eric Radford, Max Trankov, Aljona Savchenko, etc...

Laura4

Meryl and Fedor's wedding featured in Town and Country magazine:

Article (lots of pictures here):

barbk

Meryl and Fedor's wedding featured in Town and Country magazine:

Article (lots of pictures here):

I guess Town & Country doesn't invest in copy editors. Here's the subtitle for the article:
The Olympiad's nuptials were the stuff French countryside fantasies are made of.

The photographer was a lot more talented than the headline writer.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Meryl had a second wedding in Detroit. Lovely pictures and article from People: People Magazine article link

I love the flowers in her hair!

So the first one wasn’t enough? Sorry this is such an arrogant American trend - multiple expensive weddings for the same couple. Also the “destination wedding” trend, forcing invitees to fly to Cancun or wherever.

starrynight

So the first one wasn’t enough? Sorry this is such an arrogant American trend - multiple expensive weddings for the same couple. Also the “destination wedding” trend, forcing invitees to fly to Cancun or wherever.

They had a back yard wedding in America because her grandmother wasn't able to go to France.

If people want to throw lots of parties, why not? I love parties. (Wish I had more to go to and more excuses to have them myself). Life is short and honestly anything to amuse us amongst the monotony of day to day life is always welcomed.

Also, it always amuses me when politicians say things like 'people spend too much, they shouldn't go to restaurants or have parties' etc etc ... well, a huge amount of the economy and jobs rely on such things, so they should be careful of what they wish for. If everyone stays home, there goes people's jobs.

MsZem

I see the sea
They had a back yard wedding in America because her grandmother wasn't able to go to France.

If people want to throw lots of parties, why not? I love parties. (Wish I had more to go to and more excuses to have them myself). Life is short and honestly anything to amuse us amongst the monotony of day to day life is always welcomed.
Nothing says backyard and intimate like giving People an exclusive.

But if they have friends and family who are happy to share their joy on multiple continents, more power to them. And making your grandma happy is always good :)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Haha. The thread title reminds me of a MAD magazine parody of Hart to Hart where Jonathan and Jennifer host an intimate gathering at Madison Square Gardens for 10,000 of their nearest and dearest friends.

starrynight

Nothing says backyard and intimate like giving People an exclusive.

But if they have friends and family who are happy to share their joy on multiple continents, more power to them. And making your grandma happy is always good :)

Meryl is probably one of only a handful of skaters in North America who has been able to obtain a level of fame and income from skating, so I can hardly begrudge her the opportunity to sell the photos.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'm glad that they were able to do this for their grandmothers, who were able to participate; and other family members.
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

How wonderful that we were able to see some of such a lovely celebration.

Only in Fat-cat America. Sigh. Sometimes just CALLING Grandma means much more than using her or anyone else as the excuse to spend more money and call the media to report on it.

Spiralgraph

It's Meryl and Fedor's money to spend as they see fit. If they want to have another ceremony they should, it doesn't affect me in any way. And I notice that there's a pic of Meryl signing a wedding license, so maybe there was another reason to hold the ceremony for legal purposes. Anyway I doubt they had to drag the photographers and press in to cover their second ceremony.

Laura4

For the record, the photographer is a personal friend of the couple.

As for the decision to have a destination wedding:

Despite their love of travel and the dreamy locale, a wedding in Provence did require some careful consideration, though.

"We spent a lot of time going back and forth trying to decide whether or not a destination wedding made sense because obviously it's an investment for not just us and our families, but for our guests as well," says Meryl. "Ultimately we felt, especially after talking to a lot of our friends and family who were like, 'oh, we'd love to come,' that adventure is just such a part of our lives and we were excited to utilize this opportunity to do that, not just together, but with our friends and family." (Town and Country Magazine)

starrynight

Only in Fat-cat America. Sigh.

I’m not from North America, but people certainly have destination weddings and expensive parties where I’m from too.

I’m not sure where the issue with Meryl’s wedding comes from. Although I can imagine the details of Scott Moir’s wedding will be picked through with a fine tooth comb should they become public.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I've known plenty of people who have had two weddings and it always strikes me as selfish and extravagant. Why not do your actual wedding at home, save some money, have your grandmothers involved. I would have moved heaven and earth had my grandmother not been able to go to my wedding but luckily she was. That sort of thing is priority to me. I think for a lot of couples--I'm not saying for Fedor and Meryl--the look of things, the money they spend, the big party and showing off is more important than honoring family and a marriage. It's nice they were able to do a second wedding but it seems very extravagant to me, and focuses more on having a luxurious party, than what a wedding is about...celebrating a lifelong commitment. That's just how I see it. Shrug.

starrynight

Everyone lives once, you can’t take money with you, do the things you enjoy and if that is having parties, I say go for it. Everyone has different priorities and that’s ok. I just can’t comprehend the criticism here. Talk about the fun police.

I’m just glad that Meryl chose to share these photos with her fans. As someone who likes her, I appreciate it.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I've known plenty of people who have had two weddings and it always strikes me as selfish and extravagant. Why not do your actual wedding at home, save some money, have your grandmothers involved. I would have moved heaven and earth had my grandmother not been able to go to my wedding but luckily she was. That sort of thing is priority to me. I think for a lot of couples--I'm not saying for Fedor and Meryl--the look of things, the money they spend, the big party and showing off is more important than honoring family and a marriage. It's nice they were able to do a second wedding but it seems very extravagant to me, and focuses more on having a luxurious party, than what a wedding is about...celebrating a lifelong commitment. That's just how I see it. Shrug.

And since there is only one way to live, it’s very important that everyone do it just the way you would, right?

I know that people who are frugal love to pretend you can’t have both a party and a marriage, but they’re not mutually exclusive. It turns out you can plan a lavish wedding and be aware of the depth of commitment involved in marriage as well. But I know that sitting on a high horse is just ever so much fun for people.

Many, many things we do are needless and extravagant. I’m sure many people on this board are planning to spend thousands of dollars to attend worlds in person. But that’s not a necessity, right? It’s on TV. So that’s terribly extravagant! Completely unnecessary! But they’re doing it, because it’s their money, they can afford to, and it’s what they want to do.

People actually spend money on non-necessities every day. I don’t know why everyone suddenly loses their mind about every little thing when it’s a wedding.

Perky Shae Lynn

Get off your soapbox. Fedor is Russian, his grandmothers are probably still living there. And cousins, aunts, etc. Did it occur to you that Meryl & Fedor may have wanted to include them in the wedding?

oleada

I would have moved heaven and earth had my grandmother not been able to go to my wedding
I would have loved to have my grandmother at my wedding. But she refuses to travel. Unless I wanted to travel to another country and go to my hometown, she would not have been at my wedding. Except my FIL cannot handle long flights for medical reasons. It’s not as easy as you make it seem sometimes. Maybe Fedor’s family couldn’t make it to the US for a wedding if they’re coming from Russia. If a second ceremony made them happy and made grandma happy (and it sounds like it was something small for family) what is the big deal?

Debbie S

I would have moved heaven and earth had my grandmother not been able to go to my wedding but luckily she was.
That's pretty much what Meryl did, though. She had a second, small ceremony that her grandmother could attend. It doesn't sound like it was particularly lavish: it was in her parents' backyard (so no venue fee), a small number of family members, they used family silverware and tablecloths, someone said upthread that the photog was a friend (so at least they didn't price-gouge based on it being a wedding) and it doesn't sound like they had any musical entertainment. It probably didn't cost any more than an average dinner party or family holiday gathering.

I know of a couple who married in France b/c the bride was from there. Groom's parents and some extended family and close friends made the trip. Several months later, the groom's parents hosted the "stateside celebration", a large party in their backyard, under a tent, catering, DJ, etc, for all of their local friends and family. Bride wore the wedding dress for the first hour so people could see her in it, then changed. Sure, it's cheaper to have one wedding celebration but sometimes circumstances dictate two. More fun for everybody.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Welp I'll still never understand doing two weddings. Just seems a giant waste of money to me to do some major destination wedding to France, but I've known so many people who have spent 100k+ on multiple events to celebrate their marriage which just seems overkill to me. At least it wasn't like some people I know who did get married--extravagant, over-the-top multiple celebrations and ceremonies, but these folks were focused on showing off (I don't get that vibe at all from Meryl and Fedor). They are happy, and I'm glad they had two gorgeous days, it's just not a thing I understand. (We considered doing ours out of state, close to my extended family, for the reason of getting married in what I always considered my grandfather's church; but it never happened. Too much money.)

ballettmaus

If you want to get married in church in Germany, you have to have two weddings/ceremonies since a church wedding isn't recognized in front of the law. My parents did both on the same day but I know several couples who did it on two separate days and used the opportunity to have a destination wedding for one of the ceremonies. (If you do both, the ceremony that makes it official usually is only attended by family and witnesses and maybe a handful of closest friends).

I love Meryl's flower crown. It really suits her.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm reminded of a former boss who would often corner me before her big day, detailing things like the church, the reception venue, the catering, the guest list, where she was going on her honeymoon, and not to mention THE DRESS.

God, she was insufferable.

Anyway, based on what she told me, her wedding was in a ball park range of 100K.

After she got back, I asked her how everything went, to which she replied it was good.

I thought to myself, for that amount of money, I would want fireworks shooting out of every orifice.

I guess I am one of those people who would rather put that kind of money towards a deposit on a house, than plunging myself into dept at the very start of a relationship.

No surprises that I'm single...lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information