Meryl Davis Marries Fedor Andreev in 'Intimate' Farmhouse Wedding in France (Provence)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
And since there is only one way to live, it’s very important that everyone do it just the way you would, right?

I know that people who are frugal love to pretend you can’t have both a party and a marriage, but they’re not mutually exclusive. It turns out you can plan a lavish wedding and be aware of the depth of commitment involved in marriage as well. But I know that sitting on a high horse is just ever so much fun for people.

Many, many things we do are needless and extravagant. I’m sure many people on this board are planning to spend thousands of dollars to attend worlds in person. But that’s not a necessity, right? It’s on TV. So that’s terribly extravagant! Completely unnecessary! But they’re doing it, because it’s their money, they can afford to, and it’s what they want to do.

Watching Worlds at the event is WAY different than watching it on tv.

And before people get all judgey about extravagance...maybe that person at Worlds put aside a little money...or gave up wine or eating out to afford those tickets.
People actually spend money on non-necessities every day. I don’t know why everyone suddenly loses their mind about every little thing when it’s a wedding.

Daena

I've known plenty of people who have had two weddings and it always strikes me as selfish and extravagant. Why not do your actual wedding at home, save some money, have your grandmothers involved. I would have moved heaven and earth had my grandmother not been able to go to my wedding but luckily she was. That sort of thing is priority to me. I think for a lot of couples--I'm not saying for Fedor and Meryl--the look of things, the money they spend, the big party and showing off is more important than honoring family and a marriage. It's nice they were able to do a second wedding but it seems very extravagant to me, and focuses more on having a luxurious party, than what a wedding is about...celebrating a lifelong commitment. That's just how I see it. Shrug.
Well, I find any weddings unnecessary and waste of money, waste of time and waste of nerves but it's only my opinion and I don't run around shaming people for their personal decisions.
P.S.
Shrug.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m not from North America, but people certainly have destination weddings and expensive parties where I’m from too.

I’m not sure where the issue with Meryl’s wedding comes from. Although I can imagine the details of Scott Moir’s wedding will be picked through with a fine tooth comb should they become public.

It’s a wealthy-class (or wannabes with credit cards) thing. Anyway, I’ve nothing against Meryl & her circle at all...this just came to the forefront when I read this. There are worse things on earth, for sure.

skategal

Bunny mama
Perhaps she doesn't actually have the original one? Maybe it was loaned to her by a designer or something?

Or maybe she just thought it was too extravagant for a backyard wedding?

aftershocks

Banned Member
... I guess I am one of those people who would rather put that kind of money towards a deposit on a house, than plunging myself into dept at the very start of a relationship.

No surprises that I'm single...lol.

I love your entire post, as it's funny and you're obviously speaking in personal preference terms. Though of course, as we all know, in the case of Meryl & Fedor, whatever the cost of their wedding, they certainly haven't 'plunged themselves into debt.' :D Not that you were suggesting they did. ;)

skatfan

So the first one wasn’t enough? Sorry this is such an arrogant American trend - multiple expensive weddings for the same couple. Also the “destination wedding” trend, forcing invitees to fly to Cancun or wherever.

The backyard wedding had like 11 people there. It was also the legal wedding. Her parents put it on. It’s not a big deal.

As to destination weddings, it sounds like Meryl and Fedor talked with their friends and family before they started planning.

oleada

Every wedding thread somehow turns into a holier than thou competition on who managed to get married without spending the least amount of money. 🙄
It’s fine to have a wedding, it’s fine not to. And having a wedding doesn’t mean you’re not saving for other things.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Nothing against Meryl & Fedor. We are all free to express our opinions. If the subject had been about another of my pet peeves - such as the electric motor scooter trend...Millennial Cadillacs! - I would’ve chimed in too. :p

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Every wedding thread somehow turns into a holier than thou competition on who managed to get married without spending the least amount of money. 🙄
It’s fine to have a wedding, it’s fine not to. And having a wedding doesn’t mean you’re not saving for other things.

Actually, I proposed to Fedor first. He's mine, I tell you. Mine. I even offered to blow my entire life's savings, so we could exchange vows on top of K2.

(Meryl wasn't having any of it, though.)

Last edited:

Japanfan

So the first one wasn’t enough? Sorry this is such an arrogant American trend - multiple expensive weddings for the same couple. Also the “destination wedding” trend, forcing invitees to fly to Cancun or wherever.

I don't see why having a destination wedding or multiple weddings is problematic, if a couple can afford it. The amount of money that people spend on weddings completely baffles me, but I might feel differently if I were wealthy. Of course people might say that a couple would be better off to give the money they would spend on a second wedding to charity, but people spend money on lots of things that are unnecessary or seem excessive.

However, two weddings seems like a lot of stress to me, given the planning and organization involved. And I would think that the second wedding would be anti-climatic. Getting married can give people a real high that might not be easy to replicate a second time.

VGThuy

Of course people might say that a couple would be better off to give the money they would spend on a second wedding to charity, but people spend money on lots of things that are unnecessary or seem excessive.

But couldn't they just answer back that they are feeding into the economy and helping those in the wedding industry stay employed and thus make a living? This includes photographers, waiters, bartenders, DJs, bands, tailors, dressmakers, etc.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Two of my nieces had second weddings.
One because her fiancee/husband was being deployed to Iraq and they wanted to get married in case something happened to him (small reception). When he returned the had the renewal of vows and the reception his mom wanted to give them. Both times she wore her dress. Both times a big deal.

One niece had a destination wedding, attended by her parents and a few friends. Came home with renewal of vows and reception for family.

Family is important. Lovely that Meryl could do both.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

But couldn't they just answer back that they are feeding into the economy and helping those in the wedding industry stay employed and thus make a living? This includes photographers, waiters, bartenders, DJs, bands, tailors, dressmakers, etc.

Good answer.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Two of my nieces had second weddings.
One because her fiancee/husband was being deployed to Iraq and they wanted to get married in case something happened to him (small reception). When he returned the had the renewal of vows and the reception his mom wanted to give them. Both times she wore her dress. Both times a big deal.

One niece had a destination wedding, attended by her parents and a few friends. Came home with renewal of vows and reception for family.

Family is important. Lovely that Meryl could do both.

My stepsister had two weddings. They were going to Vegas for their honeymoon the first time. So she and her fiance' decided to wait and also have a Vegas wedding. This was in the summer of 1988. My dad, stepmom, stepsister, her grandparents, future stepbrother-in-law, his parents and I all went to Vegas for the wedding. We stayed at the Imperial Palace which was across the street from Caesars Palace. During that time, the Mirage Hotel was under construction.

A few months later after we all were home, my stepsister and stepbrother-in-law decided to have a church wedding (renewal of their vows) where all the family could attend, and I was one of the bridesmaids. It was all good. I feel like this. Do whatever you want because you only live once in life on this earth.

Laura4

From the Meryl and Fedor Instagram Fan Site - 3 video clips of the wedding reception:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
A good friend of mine had 3 weddings - one in a courthouse, for legal purposes, where they didn't host a party. One with his bride's family in Japan, a traditional Japanese wedding. One big party in Canada, with my friend's family and friends, a big Chinese-Canadian style wedding. It was a way for them to honor the traditions of both their families.

People have several weddings for multiple purposes. I think it's no use judging other people's choices, especially when it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Unfortunately Meryl and Fedor forgot to invite me to both the wedding in Provence and in the US :rofl:

Meryl's second dress is simple and elegant, and I love the flower crown.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A good friend of mine had 3 weddings - one in a courthouse, for legal purposes, where they didn't host a party. One with his bride's family in Japan, a traditional Japanese wedding. One big party in Canada, with my friends family and friends, a big Chinese-Canadian style wedding. It was a way for them to honor the traditions of both their families.

People have several weddings for multiple purposes. I think it's no use judging other people's choices, especially when it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Unfortunately Meryl and Fedor forgot to invite me to both the wedding in Provence and in the US :rofl:

Meryl's second dress is simple and elegant, and I love the flower crown.

My Auntie also had three weddings. Mind you, she had several divorces between two of them.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
My friend had two weddings and two receptions on three different dates. The first wedding was a civil ceremony so she could remain in the same country as her partner. The second was considered the actual wedding, which was a religious ceremony with family and friends from two countries in attendance. She also had another reception back in her home country so friends who weren't at the wedding could come. People have multiple celebrations for a variety of reasons, so if they can afford it, why not?

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I checked the Mas des Poiriers website and made some calculation. To get married there I still have to work and save for approx. 30 to 35 years. Considering I'm almost 60, the groom and I won't look too fresh under these beautiful oaks :rofl:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
My Auntie also had three weddings. Mind you, she had several divorces between two of them.

Oh gosh! That reminds me of one of my Aunts. She had one divorce and her other husbands died of a heart attack, allergic reactions and one passed away from Lou Gehrig's disease. At least his doctors thought it was Lou Gehrig's disease. It seems like the majority of her husbands died because I only remember her divorcing her first husband, and he was the father of all her children (my cousins). She married four more times, and no, she wasn't like the Black Widow. She just had bad luck when it came to the other four husbands. :cool: :slinkaway

oleada

My uncle was married 7? 8? times. We lost track. But he had some serious issues and was a pathological liar. Like, he told one of his wives that he had been a captain in the Colombian Air Force, which needless to say, he was not. He AWOL’ed from the Colombian Navy during a station in New York (which he enlisted in order to get out of jail) and married his first wife for citizenship. The only airline experience he had was working as a baggage handler for Delta. At the time that he was married to this one, he was living in rural Mexico and had convinced everyone around him of this and wanted my dad to ask for “the captain” when he called.

aftershocks

Banned Member
That was my thought!

Have you ever watched Say Yes to the Dress!? It is possible to love more than one wedding dress. ;) These days brides who can afford it often have destination weddings over more than one day, at least two wedding outfits and sometimes more than one ceremony. Weddings are big business in our culture and have been for quite awhile, particularly in recent years.

It's always a fun fact to recall that it was young Queen Victoria who started the trend that took off and has lasted, of wearing a white wedding dress. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information