Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

babayaga

Because she has Danielian and Osokina, both of whom she clearly wants to invest a lot of time in. Maybe she didn't want to take time away from them for a big name skater like Medvedeva? Plus she is not good with a crowd and 3 is a crowd.
Who is Osokina?

Perky Shae Lynn

I seriously doubt she was planning to "dump" Brian at the test skates. It was very noticeable that she had no one for her in person, and not in a good way. I think the test skates fueled her decision, not the other way around. It was clear the situation wasn't working.
She is a skater and she needs a coach. A physically present coach. Time is ticking away and Medvedeva doesn't have the luxury of waiting for 3-6 months. It's just that simple. Now going back to Eteri, that is just bonkers and the most Russian thing ever. Buyanova was just not much of an option, she doesn't do well with a crowd. Mishin and Plush were obviously not options either.

You are too naive. Good for you.

Call it naivete, I call it simple logic. Why would Evgenia choose to show up to test skates with no one to so much as hand her tissues if she was already planning to move back to Eteri? It's ridiculous. I'm not her fan, but sometimes it feels like people are so eager to ascribe malice to a skater's actions that they assume everyone's a secret supervillain plotting out their every move rather than just, you know, a young adult making mistakes while fearing fading away into irrelevance like many of her Russian peers.

Ka3sha

Who is Osokina?
A very talented junior skater.

As for Buyanova, we need to remember that she has her own bunch of health problems. And also not so long ago she decided to focus on juniors and young promising skates instead of taking some already known ones (like Tsurskaya, Gubanova, Radionova and others two years ago). With Danielian and Osokina we can definitely see that this strategy works for her & her coaching team

Perky Shae Lynn

Call it naivete, I call it simple logic. Why would Evgenia choose to show up to test skates with no one to so much as hand her tissues if she was already planning to move back to Eteri? It's ridiculous. I'm not her fan, but sometimes it feels like people are so eager to ascribe malice to a skater's actions that they assume everyone's a secret supervillain plotting out their every move rather than just, you know, a young adult making mistakes while fearing fading away into irrelevance like many of her Russian peers.
People are so silly. If the decision were in fact made, why wouldn't Medvedeva & Tutberidze (who both love drama) use test skates as an opportunity to make a splash? Of course they would. I bet Medvedeva was having massive doubts about the situation with Brian (with him not being able to really coach her), and those thoughts had to be solidified during test skates. She was all alone, it was kind of crazy to see.

Sylvia

TBD
Orser is probably going crazy having to try to train a heap of athletes over zoom.
Are there more than 3 skaters now? Hanyu (in Japan & not planning to compete internationally until Nationals in December?), Junhwan Cha (Korea) and Ekaterina Kurakova (Poland).

Last edited:

babayaga

As for Buyanova, we need to remember that she has her own bunch of health problems. And also not so long ago she decided to focus on juniors and young promising skates instead of taking some already known ones (like Tsurskaya, Gubanova, Radionova and others two years ago). With Danielian and Osokina we can definitely see that this strategy works for her & her coaching team
Liza Osokina, she's 13 and is really good. Sofia Samodelkina is with Buyanova too, and I think she's also 13.
Thank you both.

mjb52

I wish there was less of a media circus around Russian skaters too, but that in part reflects the sport's incredible popularity right now in Russia - I wouldn't be so sure that coaches in some other countries wouldn't be willing to make the trade-off if the sport could have a higher profile there too.

Perky Shae Lynn

You are not kidding. I saw Buyanova at a competition in 2019, and my gosh - I don't know how she does it.

DobrinFan

For some reason I am thinking Buyanova has her now, but I very well might be wrong. She might be with Davydov.

Well she helps out the other coaches since she is head coach of the school. But I think Davydov's group only works once a week with her. Sofia is not hers. She does have other students but it's clear Danielian/Osokina are the main duo.

Perky Shae Lynn

Well she helps out the other coaches since she is head coach of the school. But I think Davydov's group only works once a week with her. Sofia is not hers. She does have other students but it's clear Danielian/Osokina are the main duo.
That makes perfect sense, thank you. I have seen Buyanova work with Sofia, but it must have been part of the rotation.

Polaris

I wish there was less of a media circus around Russian skaters too, but that in part reflects the sport's incredible popularity right now in Russia - I wouldn't be so sure that coaches in some other countries wouldn't be willing to make the trade-off if the sport could have a higher profile there too.

It has less so to do with the popularity and more so to do with all the personalities involved and the unique brand of Russian drama.

FS is popular in Japan too (maybe even more so) and it's not a media circus.

TallyT

FS is popular in Japan too (maybe even more so) and it's not a media circus.

Well, a different kind of circus (note Hanyu being damn well stalked at night by the tabloids this week) and because of the language barrier, we don't see the bitchier side of it. But it is only the Russians that bring the Grand Guignol to FS.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It seems like a practical plan to me. With the ********* issues that make international travel so difficult it makes sense for Zhenya to stay in Russia and train there. Sort of a no lose situation for Eteri as if things go well and Zhenya has a better year she is the one at the boards and if it doesn't - blame her foreign coaching interlude. Ultimately it gives the skater the best chance to prepare and be competitive and when she does retire there are no doubt more opportunities for her there. She is beloved by the majority of the fans in Russia it seems and again not the worst visual to have Eteri there with her.

AND Medvedeva is setting herself up for the next phase of her career, as a pro. The money is in Russia (& Japan). In the end, this decision may not be about an Olympic-eligible career.

GreatLakesGal

Orser is kicking back two bottles of his best wine. Then he's moving on to some beaver tails and hot chocolate and he'll sleep like a baby.

Brian and Tracy are probably drinking expensive champagne to celebrate no longer having to be part of the Medvedeva circus. I've followed Orser since he was a skater and agreeing to coach Med was probably the dumbest mistake I've ever seen him make.

Skibean

Why do some seem so convinced that Orser is glad to be rid of her? His words seem genuine.

and, what does it mean for Medvedeva now that she withdrew from her first event?

TallyT

Why do some seem so convinced that Orser is glad to be rid of her? His words seem genuine.

and, what does it mean for Medvedeva now that she withdrew from her first event?

He was clearly fond of her, but it was also clear from various statements that she was way more work than he expected when signing on, plus she brought down all that hatred and vitriol from the Eteri fans.

I don't say precisely glad would be the word, but a feeling of relief that all that was finished could be forgiven.

starrynight

Well, a different kind of circus (note Hanyu being damn well stalked at night by the tabloids this week) and because of the language barrier, we don't see the bitchier side of it. But it is only the Russians that bring the Grand Guignol to FS.

Oh goodness. I was wondering how Hanyu was going training in Japan with all the attention he gets there. Getting out of that fishbowl by training in the anonymity of Toronto was probably a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information