Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

VGThuy

She’s kind of dumb if she thought somehow Japan would be spared when the situation was getting bad and people knew borders would be closing and social distancing and lockdowns were happening in heavily populated areas, especially with lots of international travel. In fact, that’s where the initial criticism was coming from from many people who knew as much as she did about the situation.

Tinami Amori

Well if Zhenya went to Japan 2 months before the shows then it was for ice time first hoping Japan would not completely shut down life and sports and ice skating rinks. But that happened and the shows were cancelled and Evgenia was stuck.
The Summer shows in Japan were getting cancelled one after another, it was only a matter of days before Evgeniya's show organizers were to make an announcement. Had she contacted them and asked if they want her to come, they most likely would have told her to not come or to wait.

In my opinion based on what she posted in Russian, on Russian sources and the circumstances in Japan at the time, i am convinced she used that show as an excuse.

But feel free to think otherwise. I am only glad that Med is not a Financial/Investment Broker/Adviser... :)

Scott512

She’s kind of dumb if she thought somehow Japan would be spared when the situation was getting bad and people knew borders would be closing and social distancing and lockdowns were happening in heavily populated areas, especially with lots of international travel. In fact, that’s where the initial criticism was coming from from many people who knew as much as she did about the situation.
What you say is accurate. Zhenya wanted what she wanted. It was risky. Fortunately she stayed healthy.

Why look back now? People were flying out of China to other countries in december and january even though the Chinese government knew they had a pandemic. This devastated the world and hepled spread covid much worse than should have happened. That was much worse than anything Zhenya did.

I am most interested if TT can rebuild Zhenyas confidence. She has had a tough year.

Scott512

The Summer shows in Japan were getting cancelled one after another, it was only a matter of days before Evgeniya's show organizers were to make an announcement. Had she contacted them and asked if they want her to come, they most likely would have told her to not come or to wait.

In my opinion based on what she posted in Russian, on Russian sources and the circumstances in Japan at the time, i am convinced she used that show as an excuse.

But feel free to think otherwise. I am only glad that Med is not a Financial/Investment Broker/Adviser... :)
You are like an attorney with the case against Medvedeva. It is what is is. If she had to do it over again I am sure she would doo it differently. Coaches and advisors 2 or 3 times her age could have spoken up and said I think you should stay put.

skylark

I don't get this. To me it looks like a typical group photo where different people have an idea of how much to smile and not all of them can do it so it looks natural.
You don't have to get it. There's no point in arguing about an impression.

babayaga

I am horrified by the photo of Zhenya with her new/old team. I am not judging anyone who finds it funny, we all have different ways of coping with situations and the lens we view them with. But to me it is just nightmarish. However, I have nothing but admiration for Zhenya's spirit, and I think she'll come through this like the world champion she is.
You are horrified because Tutberidze was demonized to no extend not without help of Evgenia and her team. She was sent to have babies because at 18 she was too old to skate according to what was told to Brian.
Tutberidze made her starve, her training methods lead to injuries, and Brian had to save Evgenia's health. Tutberidze gave her crap choreography and Medvedeva had no say in anything. Am I forgetting something else? And now she is back as if nothing happened.
And i don't believe she had no other options. But I do think that things weren't as horrible for her at Tutberidze group as she made everyone believe. And her return implicitly confirms that.
That's why I am laughing so hard at how it all turned out. What an irony.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

Exactly. She knew Canada was about to close its borders soon and thought it would be a good idea to go to Japan.

Last edited:

skylark

You are horrified because Tutberidze was demonized to no extend not without help of Evgenia and her team. She was sent to have babies because at 18 she was too old to skate according to what was told to Brian.
Tutberidze made her starve, her training methods lead to injuries, and Brian had to save Evgenia's health. Tutberidze gave her crap choreography and Medvedeva had no say in anything. Am I forgetting something else? And now she is back as if nothing happened.
And i don't believe she had no other options. But I do think that things weren't as horrible for her at Tutberidze group as she made everyone believe. And her return implicitly confirms that.
That's why I am laughing so hard at how it all turned out. What an irony.
I've never said any of those things and I know better than to assume I know anyone else's thoughts. Sorry, you're just wrong.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
But would she really need to return to Eteri to launch a pro career? I read upthread that she's been doing well in Japan and elsewhere for years. That just doesn't make sense to me.

But show skating is not really my area of expertise so I would have to defer to someone who is. (I have never even enjoyed watching professional skating, let alone shows and exhibitions.)

So she was defending Eteri?

Hmmm...maybe. Unofficial-official management system to be able to truly get the big gigs in Russia?

Sally1214

I just finished reading this thread. For the record, I've loved Med since the 1st time I saw her as a jr. skater. To my husband, I've referred to her as "my girl" and he was actually the one who saw this news today and alerted me that "your girl is leaving Orser." All I can do is wish Evgenia the very best.

Now, as for Orser ... the way I see it is that he has a double whammy working against him as far as coaching top skaters goes ... C19 and age. Both Hanyu and Brown will turn 26 years old this year. Not "youngins" by fs standards anymore. Med is gone. Cha is still a teenager but he's in Korea. So, Brian needs some young blood, which I'm sure he'll get once this C19 mess ends but it's looking a bit bleak for him in the short term.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I just finished reading this thread. For the record, I've loved Med since the 1st time I saw her as a jr. skater. To my husband, I've referred to her as "my girl" and he was actually the one who saw this news today and alerted me that "your girl is leaving Orser." All I can do is wish Evgenia the very best.

Now, as for Orser ... the way I see it is that he has a double whammy working against him as far as coaching top skaters goes ... C19 and age. Both Hanyu and Brown will turn 26 years old this year. Not "youngins" by fs standards anymore. Med is gone. Cha is still a teenager but he's in Korea. So, Brian needs some young blood, which I'm sure he'll get once this C19 mess ends but it's looking a bit bleak for him in the short term.

Hasn't Brian hinted at a desire to retire after Beijing? Can't remember where I heard that or if I made that up in my head. With the current situation I don't see him getting any international "young blood" if that is his plan but he does have some young Canadian skaters he is training.

Willin

What are you talking about? It’s a total media circus! :rofl:
The paparazzi and fans are the much bigger circus than the skaters themselves.
Although the revelations from Nobunari Oda suggest that despite all the crazy media/fan behavior, the actual circus is yet to be truly revealed.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I think this is a foolish decision, especially since her injury is already flaring up.

I like how part of the reason is that she couldn't get back into Canada to work with Orser. It's almost like that was an entirely foreseeable event when she originally went to Japan for exactly no reason back in April.

On the upside, I'm sure Jason just got way more time with Orser.

seabm7

Hasn't Brian hinted at a desire to retire after Beijing? Can't remember where I heard that or if I made that up in my head. With the current situation I don't see him getting any international "young blood" if that is his plan but he does have some young Canadian skaters he is training.

That's what I remember, too. I got a feeling after Beijing he will reduce his workload at the elite skater level.

honey

I remember something from years ago when he said he’d told Gogolev that he would commit to taking him through Beijing 2022, but no further. Of course Gogolev is no longer in the picture, but perhaps the intention to scale back or retire is still there.

hanca

Values her privacy
You are like an attorney with the case against Medvedeva. It is what is is. If she had to do it over again I am sure she would doo it differently. Coaches and advisors 2 or 3 times her age could have spoken up and said I think you should stay put.
No, she is not. An attorney is arguing what he/she is paid for, and it is not personal; it is a business.
I am not sure why, but when Tinami is pursuing Medvedeva, she makes it personal. It feels to me that she cares more than it is healthy.

barbarafan

The only thing I heard was that when he took on Stephen G. he promised the parents he would not retire until he had finished his competitive career. Since Stephen G. left that leaves him free to retire unless he makes another promise to another skater. He does now train a few cdn. younger skaters, some of which were working with Lee Barkell. They preferred to stay at TCC with Brian instead of leaving with Lee. Others left with Lee and changed to Granite.

antmanb

Honestly, she may as well return to Eteri. I didn’t see much improvement under Orser and in fact she still skates like she did when she was with Eteri except her jumps are worse. It’d be one thing if her skating skills improved immensely and her jumps got bigger, but they didn’t. If she’s going to skate that way anyway, might as well go back to the coach who put her at such a disadvantage with that technique in a first place because she knows how to work it.

I kind of disagree with this - I think her basic skating has improved, under Tutberidze her basic back cross overs were choppy and bit back pumpy, which seemed to go under Orser. She looked faster to me too (but I haven't seen her live under Orser so that might not be true) and seemed to have better edge quality.

As to the jumps - she's definitely not been landing them with any consistency, but the actual technique looked better to me - there looked to be a stronger check, then rotation rather than the more whipped technique she had under Tutberidze (which only works well pre puberty for girls), and the axel has much better technique on the take off with a proper drive of the free leg through and up into the jump.....but I guess if the success rate on them is as low as it is (especially the axel) then a better technique is for nothing without a landed jump.

Last edited:

Scott512

No, she is not. An attorney is arguing what he/she is paid for, and it is not personal; it is a business.
I am not sure why, but when Tinami is pursuing Medvedeva, she makes it personal. It feels to me that she cares more than it is healthy.
Interesting take.

Not liking a skater is okay making it personal is questionable. It happens often with the Russian ladies.

Vagabond

Can someone explain to me how Medvedeva could have her training base in Canada and not have Canadian residency?
www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.

A person in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.

Carolla5501

Not liking a skater is one thing. But having this dislike grow into such obsession that it looks as if the skater peed in Tinami’s cornflakes, that’s completely a different thing.

Best thing to do is put Tinami on ignore. Then you don't get her jealous attacks. I feel sorry for her that she's that jealous, but not sorry enough to read her trash :)

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Best thing to do is put Tinami on ignore.
There are people who haven't? Masochists.

Anyway, if the switching time in Russian Fed was till what? July 17th? It's not as if Medvedeva had anywhere else to go - she never officially left Sambo70. Am not sure for how long Buyanova was willing to let her skate fee free on her rink. Where else would Medvedeva go? Urmanov? He had an ex Eteri skater already. Rukavitsin is head over hills in Aliev and Makarov, Mishin probably can't work with someone with such a horrible technique. I semi-expected her to go to Pluschenko after Sotnikova and after Pluschenko's interviews about expecting more surprises, but oh well, Medvedeva has some class.
Tutberidze only has Scherbakova this season should the GPs take place. Having Medvedeva is a good chance for a medal on any GP event if they happen.
I predict Medvedeva will skate till the nationals and then be too injured/too hurt/her boots to fall apart/whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information