Kelowna to host 2019 Skate Canada International

maatTheViking

Just searched for hotels - and it seems like nothing is available? I find it odd this weekend is already booked for so many of these hotels? However, the weekend after is not booked.

I'm bummed, I think I'd prefer Kelowna to Vegas

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I am going to Vegas. I said I'd rather go to SC than SkAm but dh would rather go to Vegas. :lol:

Just searched for hotels - and it seems like nothing is available? I find it odd this weekend is already booked for so many of these hotels? However, the weekend after is not booked.

I'm bummed, I think I'd prefer Kelowna to Vegas
I just did a quick search on Expedia and there were lots of options. Or were you looking just at the hotel across the street from the rink?

maatTheViking

I just did a quick search on Expedia and there were lots of options. Or were you looking just at the hotel across the street from the rink?
I looked at hotels.com (which I believe is owned by expedia) There was only one hotel close by the arena, as well as some hostels down town. I did not look on the other side of the river or further out, as I wanted to avoid driving. I saw a lot of booked ones in this area, including the Marriott.

I probably should look at other websites :D.

Kelowna is pretty touristy too so I’d expect there to be a fair amount of air bnb’s too. I haven’t actually looked yet though.

Colleen

Has anyone heard when tickets might go on sale? We have a room booked in anticipation....

cygnus

I looked at hotels.com (which I believe is owned by expedia) There was only one hotel close by the arena, as well as some hostels down town. I did not look on the other side of the river or further out, as I wanted to avoid driving. I saw a lot of booked ones in this area, including the Marriott.

I probably should look at other websites :D.
Try https://www.prestigehotelsandresorts.com/locations/kelowna/overview/. It looks fine- you can walk to the arena and the prices aren't bad. I booked a room there.

grimey

Skating + photography = my heaven :)
Has anyone heard when tickets might go on sale?
This. Feels like the last SC I went too I had tickets by now.

I don’t want to book a hotel until I have tickets to the actual event

pat c

Loved it last time. We toured some vineyards, a goat cheese place.........it's a great place for a skating event.

maatTheViking

I am STILL undecided.

This year it was so nice to go to both SKAM and the Finals, both were within driving distance. The year prior I didn't go to any events and I missed going.

My birthday is the 21st, so I don't really want to go to SKAM in Vegas; I'd rather celebrate my birthday with my family. So Kelowna is attractive, but I'm still not happy with the hotel offerings - looking at airbnb or hotels, it looks like I would have to pay $500+ for 3 nights regardless. I was looking at being within walking distance from the arena it looks like it is pretty central so any hotel nearby would mean that I don't need a car. I could also rent a car of course. Any recommendations?

Does anyone know when they events usually are for Skate Canada? I see the tickets say Thursday 7pm to Sunday 5pm (I assume Sunday is the exhibition which I will likely miss). I don't know if I can get away with flying in Friday morning?

Erin

Does anyone know when they events usually are for Skate Canada? I see the tickets say Thursday 7pm to Sunday 5pm (I assume Sunday is the exhibition which I will likely miss). I don't know if I can get away with flying in Friday morning?
The last two years, all competition events have been held on Friday and Saturday. I think Friday started at around 2 pm local time? (It’s probably been like that a lot longer but those are the two I remember because I went to them.)

I’m undecided too. Kelowna has long been on my list of places to visit...I kind of figured I would decide later and forgot about needing to buy tickets :lol:

pat c

Friday comps are usually 1-2 p.m. so you should be able to fly if your flight and connections work out. Sat is a long day, all the lp's are scheduled. Sunday you can fly out whenever you want unless you want to see the exhibitions.
When I went to SC in Kelowna I rented a car. But if you aren't going to do any touring around, just take a cab from the airport. It is I think if I"m remembering right, about 15 minutes out. If you want to see any of the vineyards, rent a car. Flying out last time, there was a very long line up to go through security. So, just in case, don't cut getting to the airport too fine.

Happy decision making. :)

maatTheViking

Seems like a lot of the hotels are not on the bigs sites (hotels.com and similar). Ill investigate :D

shutterbug

Heads up all - just received the pre-sale notification e-mail from Skate Canada. The tickets are going fast, so check your e-mail accounts for the message. There was no pre-sale code provided, just a link.

grimey

Heads up all - just received the pre-sale notification e-mail from Skate Canada. The tickets are going fast, so check your e-mail accounts for the message. There was no pre-sale code provided, just a link.
Boo. I have checked my email and received nothing :(

Colleen

I got the pre sale email as well - for those that didn't, there's no code - but it looks like the regular ticket website so it might work even without the email. It's at selectyourtickets.com

maatTheViking

I got the email, but didn't notice untill this morning. And now the site doesn't load on my work computer, only on my phone.

maatTheViking

sorry for all my dumb questions - it looks like the corners are pretty far from the ice, and there are not many seats left. :( should have hurried to buy I'm not sure now tbh.

grimey

I did finally get the email and ended up in the corner about 8 rows up. Hotel booked too. Yay! Can’t wait!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)