Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi Cheer Thread

sap5

Loved this RD. The one thing I wonder about is Kana's outfit. I feel like it was too distracting and hid a lot of the beautiful movements she was making with her arms.

easilydistracte

Geezette
Same. Did Zoueva choreograph it? If so, it seems way out of her wheelhouse. Well done, whoever did it.

I don't think it's out of her wheelhouse. She does a good job learning about different types of music/styles of dance and adapting them to ice.
I seem to recall that--in an interview Muramoto&Takahashi gave earlier this year--Kana stated that she thought Dai should get a choreography credit for the RD. So, maybe a collaborative effort among the members of the team?

ostile17

They were splendid today!

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI FD 2021 NHK Trophy​

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN
108.76 60.64 48.12 7.85 7.80 8.15 8.15 8.15 0.00 #4

soogar

I'm really getting into this team. I like the dynamic of two similarly sized skaters paired together because they focus on the step elements as opposed to crazy lifts. I love Japanese themed RD as well. I think they bring a different view and it is exciting to see Daisuke receive so much press for his participation in ice dance. I think it will help promote the discipline in Japan and more skaters will want to compete in it. The Japanese skaters have such beautiful skating skills and edges, no reason for them not to be successful in ice dance.

deegee

Loved this RD. The one thing I wonder about is Kana's outfit. I feel like it was too distracting and hid a lot of the beautiful movements she was making with her arms.
i MUCH preferred the original rd costume! i hope they go back to it by the olympics.

soogar

They were splendid today!

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI FD 2021 NHK Trophy​

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN
108.76 60.64 48.12 7.85 7.80 8.15 8.15 8.15 0.00 #4

OMG He improved so much. It's really inspiring to see the same program performed after a year of work. He improved the lifts immensely and the levels as well. It so clear that he committed to learning this discipline. And after all that wear and tear his body had after singles skating.

ostile17

i MUCH preferred the original rd costume! i hope they go back to it by the olympics.
The ones they used at LDI were not costumes, they were regular clothes that Dai adjusted with paper scissors :rofl: just for the occasion. They are not going back to those for sure! They may change them or modify them though, they usually do. Dai always went through several costume changes during the seasons.

ostile17

Much better quality and English commentary by Mark Henretty

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI - FD - 2021 NHK Trophy (English commentary)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No disrespect to Komatsubara and Koletto but M/T scored higher than them at NHK. If they score higher again at their nationals, what are the chances of them making the Olympic team ahead of the more experienced pair? Does Japan have two spots or just one for Ice dance in 2022?

Taso

Much better quality and English commentary by Mark Henretty

Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI - FD - 2021 NHK Trophy (English commentary)
That was truly, truly beautiful. Wow. This must be seen at the Olympics, it would inspire many.

ETA: I am also just beyond impressed with Daisuke's ability to adjust his expression to complement and not over power Kana. His presence on the ice as an individual skater I experienced as enormous - the only time I saw him live was 2005 Worlds and despite many falls his presence was the most engaging of the night, to me. I really think it is special to see him adjust in relation to his partner after being such a top tier singles skater for so long. Talk about versatility!

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Also Kana is back to shinimg like the star she is. She looks as light as a feather in those lifts (well, except when he dumps her on his shoulder in the choreo lift). These two programs are perfect for the Olympics. They're just beautiful to watch. I predict many invitations to shows will be coming in too.

deegee

The ones they used at LDI were not costumes, they were regular clothes that Dai adjusted with paper scissors :rofl: just for the occasion. They are not going back to those for sure! They may change them or modify them though, they usually do. Dai always went through several costume changes during the seasons.
dang. well, that's a shame. i very much prefer the vibe those original costumes gave the program

soogar

That was truly, truly beautiful. Wow. This must be seen at the Olympics, it would inspire many.

ETA: I am also just beyond impressed with Daisuke's ability to adjust his expression to complement and not over power Kana. His presence on the ice as an individual skater I experienced as enormous - the only time I saw him live was 2005 Worlds and despite many falls his presence was the most engaging of the night, to me. I really think it is special to see him adjust in relation to his partner after being such a top tier singles skater for so long. Talk about versatility!
I agree. What he's doing is unbelievable and really shows his commitment to ice dance. Dave Lease commented on his show that Daisuke was a huge fan of Meryl Davis. If that is true, he must have admired the discipline of ice dance for a really long time and it shows, because he's really working with his partner and trying to adjust to all the difficulty of matching his expression with another person. I also think that Kana matches him really well in her expressions and movements. In the RD with the hip hop section, she matched him all the way in expression and movement.

Ice dance is really difficult and he has achieved so much in singles skating. I am truly amazed that he has the energy and motivation to completely change directions in his career.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Daisuke was one of my favorite singles skaters. When I read he would come back as ice dancer, I was excited because we would see him skate again. I didn't expect him to be competitive at This Level.

What he has achieved is mind boggling. I have seen singles skaters (mostly women, I think) get into pairs, and pairs skaters becoming singles skaters (like Rudy Galindo- great achievement for him). Ice dance is so different! No jumps and have to do difficult footwork next to a partner, in unison. Daisuke bulked up so he could do the lifts. His commitment is amazing. Kana is a very good partner. I am so happy for their success!

Daisuke is 35 now. This may be his last chance to go to the Olympics and make history. The only thing that would make me sad if they make it to the 2022 Olympics is that Komatsubara-Kolet would miss their chance. Have they been to an Olympics yet?

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Daisuke is 35 now. This may be his last chance to go to the Olympics and make history. The only thing that would make me sad if they make it to the 2022 Olympics is that Komatsubara-Koleto would miss their chance. Have they been to an Olympics yet?
They have not. The Reeds represented Japan in 2010 and 2014, and then Kana went in 2018 when she skated with Chris Reed.

Takahashi has improved so much since last season. I feel a bit like when I first saw Valentina Marchei doing pairs - why didn't he do it earlier? It's a great fit for his abilities, and a bit more time to train would have been good for him.

Their RD is my favorite so far this season.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I hope they will carry on another couple of seasons, if they are this much improved in a year imagine what they could be like in another! They are obviously enjoying the challenge so I hope it isn’t just about going to the Olympics and they might stick around, especially if a lot of teams retire.

zigzig

I love their RD A LOT. I liked the direction of their FD but the music cuts didn't really work for me and his costume was FUG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information