Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi announce retirement

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Their announcement video 6 hours ago on their kanadai_team_official account: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrsWPwSobDy/

My name is Daisuke Takahashi. This time, I would like to report something to everyone. I have had many questions from various people about my future progress, but I have been looking for the right time to announce it. I'm thinking about announcing it at the right time, so I'd like to report it to everyone on this team account first."

Takahashi: “I have decided to retire from competition after this season.”

Muramoto: “It was decided after a lot of discussion between the two of us, but tomorrow, we will hold a press conference for the reporters.”

Takahashi: And to all the fans, after the press conference, from 20:00, I would like to be able to tell everyone. I will be doing an Instagram live on this team account, so I would like to report it there, so please take time. I would be happy if someone could take a look at it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm really sad to see this. I totally respect their decision, but I have always really enjoyed their programs and their commitment to hard work. And for Dai to be a world-class competitor in two completely different disciplines of skating is a great accomplishment.

mikeko

While I respect their decision, I am very saddened by their retirement. I though he finally became an ice dancer and they reach the position where they could compete with the top teams in the world. There was still some room for improvement in his skating skills, and I wanted to see how far they could go. They had tons of charisma and their programs were always unique and full of emotions. Japanese ice dance will never look as exciting as the last few seasons at least for some time.

I am sure they will perform together in ice shows (that is why Kana is retiring with Dai at her prime), and look forward to hear their future plans at the press conference and Instagram live today.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Press conference is about to begin:

ostile17

Another link for the LIVE Press Conference

YukiNieve

Some parts of the talks I remember:

The primary reason for retiring from amateur rank is Daisuke's right knee's injury. There were days when he was not even able to walk, or, after stepping on ice, he had to tell Kana that "sorry I cannot practice today." Even though when they wanted to raise the level of technical difficulties, his right knee did not let them do that. There were days they could not follow the lesson plans. Daisuke said he would have kept competing if he did not have his right knee problem since he felt the more practice they do, the better they become both technically and performance-wise.

It was after 4CC that Daisuke told Kana about his intent of retiring. Kana was not surprised because when they teamed up, they thought they would try for 2 years and see what happens. Kana was so thankful to Daisuke for deciding to skate with her. Kana thinks she will not be able to find someone better than him to skate with. Daisuke is thankful for Kana's decision since they can continue to skate together (as a pro).

They both seem super happy since they are able to finish their amateur career on a high note. They skated 100% for the Worlds this year and Kana felt they achieved the goal of "skate to remember" that day. Daisuke recalls when he retired 1st time (2014), he was not sure what to do next and lost confidence in himself. It is totally opposite now - he has no regrets leaving the competitive ice; skating ice dance with Kana gave him confidence and higher self-esteem, and he has full of ideas what to do next and feels prepared after the retirement. And he thanks Kana for the way he feels now.

They told Marina the decision to retire a day before they left for the Worlds. She was not surprised. Both Kana and Daisuke are very grateful to Marina, who understood the differences in the personalities between Kana and Daisuke and worked with each accordingly to get the best outcomes as a couple, and gave them strong moral support when needed.

I guess there are more, and this is just a gist. I'm sure someone will give a complete translation soon!

Last edited:

mikeko

Some parts of talks I remember:

The primary reason for retiring from amateur rank is Daisuke's left knee's injury. There were days when he was not even able to walk, or, after stepping on ice, he had to tell Kana that "sorry I cannot practice today." Even though when they wanted to raise the level of technical difficulties, his left knee did not let them do that. There were days they could not follow the lesson plans. Daisuke said he would have kept competing if he did not have his left knee problem since he felt the more practice they do, the better they become both technically and performance-wise.

It was after 4CC that Daisuke told Kana about his intent of retiring. Kana was not surprised because when they teamed up, they thought they would try for 2 years and see what happens. Kana was so thankful to Daisuke for deciding to skate with her. Kana thinks she will not be able to find someone better than him to skate with. Daisuke is thankful for Kana's decision since they can continue to skate together (as a pro).

They both seem super happy since they are able to finish their amateur career on a high note. They skated 100% for the Worlds this year and Kana felt they achieved the goal of "skate to remember" that day. Daisuke recalls when he retired 1st time (2014), he was not sure what to do next and lost confidence in himself. It is totally opposite now - he has no regrets leaving the competitive ice; skating ice dance with Kana gave him confidence and higher self-esteem, and he has full of ideas what to do next and feels prepared after the retirement. And he thanks Kana for the way he feels now.

They told Marina the decision to retire a day before they left for the Worlds. She was not surprised. Both Kana and Daisuke are very grateful to Marina, who understood the differences in the personalities between Kana and Daisuke and worked with each accordingly to get the best outcomes as a couple, and gave them strong support when needed.

I guess there are more, and this is just a gist.
Thank you for the transcript!
The primary reason is his right knee (landing knee for jumps).

YukiNieve

Thanks, mikeko. I found that mistake right after I post it (don't know why I did that:confused: - perhaps because it is 3AM here?)

- My apologies for incorrectly typing left knee, not right knee, in the initial post (it is corrected now).

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member

Rough translation of their press conference:

Muramoto: The weight is off my shoulders now that I have made my decision to retire clear to the world.
Takahashi: This is a new beginning. After making the announcement yesterday (via instagram), I can feel that it's a new start.

Muramoto: When he told me that he plans to retire this season, I wasn't surprised because it was a two-year plan from the beginning. I was prepared for quitting anytime.
As for myself, while I can still keep going, I'm certain that I won't find such a perfect partner. There was no option for finding a new partner. I accomplished what I aimed for: to deliver a memorable performance. I'm looking forward to the next stage.

Takahashi: (He had told Muramoto of retiring after 4CC)
My right knee has reached its limit. The biggest reason was that my body couldn't take the training anymore. Ever since I felt that, I knew I wouldn't be able to grow anymore.

Muramoto: Even after he told me his decision, I wanted to keep performing as Kana-Dai (their nickname). I'm so excited to create programs with him. And for 25 years I've dedicated my life to figure skating, I'd like to do other things.

Takahashi: I hope to bring skating into entertainment in various forms. (minam: this is weird English, sorry)

Muramoto: For the first time in my life, I was touched by my skating. I'm so glad I asked him to be my partner. I'm so grateful that he joined me to skate ice dance.

<skip>

Takahashi: I can't thank Kana-chan enough. Had I not accepted her offer to do ice dancing, I won't be retiring feeling so good.
Ice dance taught me to accept that there are things I can't do. I was able to pat myself on the back for making small progresses. My thoughts became positive under difficult circumstances, and now I can say things will be alright.

Message to their fans:
Muramoto: Many fans thanked me for asking Dai-chan to ice dance. That made me happy. I hope you see this as a beginning and not the end.

Takahashi: Thanks for your support, even when lots of things happened. I want to keep surprising my fans in our new world. Thanks again for your support, it's been a long career"

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Daiske also said he wants to try floor dance.
DWTS, anyone? :cool:
(well he has to address his right knee injury first, maybe?)

YukiNieve

They are also planing to do an Instagram Live around 7AM EST to talk for their fans.

On My Own

Yes, he danced off-ice in the show “Love on the Floor” with Meryl and Charlie and some ballroom dancers. It was choreographed by a DWTS dancer (Cheryl Burke? My memory is failing me).
He's done multiple dance routines. I think maybe he just wants to say he would like to dance on the floor since he's now retired, but that would be my guess and nothing else, as someone who knows zero Japanese.

YukiNieve

When Daisuke mentioned "floor dance," he was referring to Mai Asada (Mao's sister), who studied dance in Italy last year and Tango in Argentina this year. So I think he probably means a serious level of ballroom dance practice.

Last edited:

On My Own

When Daisuke mentioned "floor dance," he was referring to Mai Asada (Mao's sister), who studied dance in Italy last year and Tango in Argentina this year. So I think he probably means a serious level of ballroom dance practice.
Oh I didn't know Mai did that! That would be amazing to see him trying Argentine Tango.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information