Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puglover

He was screwing young women that Epstein was basically enslaving and pimping out to his network of "friends". That is wrong no matter what the age difference is or when it happened. It's not the same as a younger woman and older man going out on a date or being a romantic couple.
I am not talking about age difference or dating - I am talking about girls often as young as 13 and 14 years old being sought after by much older, wealthy men of power and influence, even marrying them, and nobody batting an eye. We know that young "groupies" often even travelled with much older rock stars. I am really just saying there was a lot of absolutely deplorable stuff going on which now would be labelled as "pedophile behaviour".

mella

Sure, they can speak "their truth" even if it is not based in reality. And Harry has always been a bit of a mess - A prince dressing as a Nazi? who in the world thought that was OK?

At the very least these people are comfortable with/ incapable of recognising casual racism. I hope they're not hardcore racists but casual, unaware racism causes just as many problems as overt abuse. Just in a different way.

Not sure what "casual racism" is. And making a false statement re Racism should not be condoned. Phillip has come a long way as had her majesty. At one point in time, when capturing blacks was accepted. People and societies evolve. And it appears that the BRF has done so on this issue.
P
There was a time in this country when Women could not vote. That, of course has changed.

Not ignoring comments and feelings.....right now it is popular to claim "racist" when you (the collective you) do not agree or accept what is being said. When something is said, it is easy to dismiss the comment(s) as racist than it is to actually address what is being asserted. Throwing out the validity of things you don't like and claiming "Racist" short circuit the issue.

We have real problems in this country, and we need real people to address the actual problems with real solutions. Saying "what ever" is racist does not help solve the problem.

Have you ever had a conversation with numbers tattooed on their arm? I have had the privileged and sorrow to have included some in as friends. Now, THAT is racism. I am a Jew. (started out as a Catholic, and then went to see Dachau. Can't explain it, but I just knew I was a Jew)

One husband and wife escaped Auschwitz and had to go through Germany to find relief workers.

People can be evil, uneducated or just thoughtless. Uneducated people can be taught. Thoughtless people can learn. Evil......forget it.
I am not condoning making false statements. The racism claim that has been alleged is a "he said/she said" situation. To the extent there is no "proof" it was said, there is also no "proof" that it was not. Hence we all have to draw our own opinions based on the information that is out there.

I dont think think its necessary to get into an debate about which group has suffered the most from racism. Millions died in the holocaust and millions died as a result of slavery. As a jew you will feel deeply the pain of the holocaust on a very personal level. On a level that I can empathise with but not fully understand in the way that you do. In turn as a black person descended from slaves I feel the pain of the slave trade and its consequences deeply on a very personal level that you cannot fully understand but I hope can empathise with. I dont think its necessary to denigrate one experience of racism in order to validate another. Thankfully none of us are currently experiencing racism in the same manner that our ancesters did. But unfortunately both black people and Jews across the globe are still facing racism and discrimination in their day to day lives. Not to mention many other groups.

If someone asked/commented on the complexion of their unborn child in the manner which has been suggested then that is casual racism (that's the generous interpretation btw, the less generous one being that such a comment is pure spite). Personally I think anyone with any ounce of common sense knows the difference between a general conversation about a child's potential features and a pointed question/comment about complexion - before we get into that debate again.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I am not talking about age difference or dating - I am talking about girls often as young as 13 and 14 years old being sought after by much older, wealthy men of power and influence, even marrying them, and nobody batting an eye. We know that young "groupies" often even travelled with much older rock stars. I am really just saying there was a lot of absolutely deplorable stuff going on which now would be labelled as "pedophile behaviour".

All of that is very different from having underage girls who are basically slaves being pimped to an older man to do whatever he wanted. In the situations you're describing, the girls would have been able to walk away if they wanted to. No one was e.g. locking them in an apartment and not giving them the key, tracking them via their cellphone, only allowing them out to go to specific places to meet with specific people, withholding food and/or money if they didn't do what they were told to do. All of which Epstein and Maxwell did with "their" girls.

And I can assure you that plenty of people at the time thought it was disgusting or inappropriate for 13- and 14-year-olds to be sleeping with or partnered with rock stars, or other older men.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Never ceases to amaze me how confidently ignorant some posters insist on being. Jesus Christ on a cracker, how on earth is anything Harry & his family have done ANYWHERE NEAR comparable to his disgusting uncle?

Harry seems to be struggling to define what he is, as a famous person. He probably feels he has more gravitas than most reality stars or actors, and yet he wants to be famous all the same. It's not surprising to me he missteps so much, and his wife does not. She seems to listen to their PR team better, though maternity leave certainly kept her out of public eye for awhile.

So they're a couple of fame whores trying to make peace with their fame whoredom. I still respect them more for striking out on their own, bumbles and all, than Harry's antiquated family. Let them do 100 Oprah interviews so long as Andrew walks his mom into Church, and Edward gives the PM of St. Lucia a signed picture on an ill-advised commonwealth tour. I'd take Meghan on a Real Housewives franchise at this point over the way the Royal Family acts like a business that mostly protects a specific few.

I am certainly not defending Prince Andrew but older wealthy men with young and beautiful women was quite common in my teens and twenties. Jerry Lee Lewis and his 13 year old cousin, Rolling Stones and 13/14 year olds, Elvis 24 - Priscilla 14, Don Johnson 24 Melanie 15 - or on the other side - Fergie 23 - Justin Timberlake 16. I doubt groupies hanging out at stage doors were checked for birth certificates. We (at least me) did not understand age, power imbalance, experience, as being determining factors in consent at the time. One of my best friends was with Peter Nyguard (old enough to be her father) and we weren't scandalized by it.

This post contains a lot of wtfery, but I have NO IDEA why you would mention Peter Nygard and think that would help your case?

So the eff what if it was normalized by privileged old white guys? It's wrong, and I think it's completely disgusting that you're attempting any kind of minimalization of Prince Andrew and his consistently seedy ways.

canbelto

Never ceases to amaze me how confidently ignorant some posters insist on being. Jesus Christ on a cracker, how on earth is anything Harry & his family have done ANYWHERE NEAR comparable to his disgusting uncle?

For @AxelAnnie, Andrew is white. That's all that matters to her.

JJH

In January of 2005 Prince Harry(20) and Prince William(22) attended a private costume party with 250 guests at a country estate. The event was hosted by Olympic Triple Gold Medalist Richard Meade. The theme of the party was "Colonials and Natives". Prince Harry wore a costume depicting Rommel's desert uniform. Prince William wore a leopard outfit with black leggings. Local costume shops said Nazi costumes were popular. Some guests wore feathers, et. The next day the house guests continued at the Beaufort hunt.

This party seems as disconnected with the contemporary world as a Bertie Wooster story.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am not condoning making false statements. The racism claim that has been alleged is a "he said/she said" situation. To the extent there is no "proof" it was said, there is also no "proof" that it was not. Hence we all have to draw our own opinions based on the information that is out there.

I dont think think its necessary to get into an debate about which group has suffered the most from racism. Millions died in the holocaust and millions died as a result of slavery. As a jew you will feel deeply the pain of the holocaust on a very personal level. On a level that I can empathise with but not fully understand in the way that you do. In turn as a black person descended from slaves I feel the pain of the slave trade and its consequences deeply on a very personal level that you cannot fully understand but I hope can empathise with. I dont think its necessary to denigrate one experience of racism in order to validate another. Thankfully none of us are currently experiencing racism in the same manner that our ancesters did. But unfortunately both black people and Jews across the globe are still facing racism and discrimination in their day to day lives. Not to mention many other groups.

If someone asked/commented on the complexion of their unborn child in the manner which has been suggested then that is casual racism (that's the generous interpretation btw, the less generous one being that such a comment is pure spite). Personally I think anyone with any ounce of common sense knows the difference between a general conversation about a child's potential features and a pointed question/comment about complexion - before we get into that debate again.
What a wonderful response. Thank you. And you are 100% correct. We all see the world through our own lens, which is shaped in part by our heritage, our experiences and on and on. We say we understand someone else's sorrow, for example.....but mostly we don't.

Musing about what the unborn baby is natural. Those on high alert re racism could interpret the question as racist. But really, it is just a question. Many biracial couples wonder who the child will favor.

Just reminded me of something. When my (now X) husband and I were studying for our conversion to Judaism, I asked my aunt and Grandmother if we had any Jews in our family history. I asked because my maiden name could have been a Jewish name. OH....they assured me I did not worry about that! There is a generational component to lots of things.

You are correct. There is no point debating who got it worse. It is a false equivalency.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

puglover

All of that is very different from having underage girls who are basically slaves being pimped to an older man to do whatever he wanted. In the situations you're describing, the girls would have been able to walk away if they wanted to. No one was e.g. locking them in an apartment and not giving them the key, tracking them via their cellphone, only allowing them out to go to specific places to meet with specific people, withholding food and/or money if they didn't do what they were told to do. All of which Epstein and Maxwell did with "their" girls.

And I can assure you that plenty of people at the time thought it was disgusting or inappropriate for 13- and 14-year-olds to be sleeping with or partnered with rock stars, or other older men.
What about Bill Clinton or Donald Trump? They were also good buddies of JE as were probably many more rich and powerful men. R. Kelly was alleged to be involved with Aaliyah as young as 12 and he had a lot of control when it came to her career. He is accused of abusing preteens and operating a cult that controlled his girls. I personally have zero sympathy for Andrew but I am not sure he is worse then many others.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
What about Bill Clinton or Donald Trump? They were also good buddies of JE as were probably many more rich and powerful men.
There have never been any rumors of either of them liking kids though. All their accusers have been women. I assume they hung out for the partying and the power.

millyskate

I must say though - I'm not sure where the idea that Harry is being considered worse than Andrew comes from. Is it because there's less outrage in the media over Andrew than Harry?
It's a false assumption to assume that means people think Harry is worse. The two things are completely unrelated.

Andrew is not liked. Nobody, literally is emotionally invested in him. He doesn't sell papers or generate clicks online. The press writes articles based on clicks. Nobody clicks on Andrew articles because it's a given that he's not uninteresting in addition to being a rotten character. There's nothing to say. No hope to have regarding his future. And yes, as long as he's not front and centre people easily forget him.
I remember though when Anne Sacoolas fled after having killed Harry Dunn on the roads, there was a massive online campaign offering to swap Prince Andrew for Anne Sacoolas. The British sentiment towards him is actually that they're ready to throw him in the lion's cage. They're however not ready to waste their lives reading articles about him or wasting their breath expressing continuous outrage about him.

Harry has many articles written about him because he's charismatic and despite his flaws still liked by a lot of the population. People are constantly disappointed with his behaviour because they're emotionally invested in him and have been his whole life. People wish he was still an active part of the royal family and miss his presence in the UK.

I haven't seen anyone anywhere suggest that "Harry is worse than Andrew". I really don't know where that false comparison comes from.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
There have never been any rumors of either of them liking kids though. All their accusers have been women. I assume they hung out for the partying and the power.
Noel Casler said Trump had been provided with a thirteen year old girl by Epstein at his house. She filed some kind of lawsuit much later, but withdrew it, supposedly because she was threatened. It is not pedophilia, but she was certainly a minor under the age of consent.

clairecloutier

At least one poster, maybe two, in this thread asserted that Harry's behavior (as influenced by Meghan) has been more despicable than Andrew.

There is also far more vitriol online toward Harry and Meghan, from average people, than I have ever seen toward Andrew. People may dislike Andrew but they don’t seem compelled to repeatedly post, over and over, about every supposed misstep or transgression of his, the way they do about Harry/Meghan (especially Meghan), including in this thread.

Last edited:

antmanb

I must say though - I'm not sure where the idea that Harry is being considered worse than Andrew comes from. Is it because there's less outrage in the media over Andrew than Harry?
It's a false assumption to assume that means people think Harry is worse. The two things are completely unrelated.
Personally, i was responding to this post suggesting that Prince Andrew behaves better in this context than Harry or Megan. And being blunt the person who seems mentally distrubed to me is this poster:

Completely agree, I think Harry is mentally disturbed. His wife is no better. Even Prince Andrew (who's no shining star) knows how to behave within the BRF and he has never disrespected the Queen. And yes, I'm not a fan of H&M based on what they have done to the BRF. I'm sorry, but if they want to leave, LEAVE. Stop dragging names in the mud and complaining about "racist" comments.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think the outrage in the UK over H&M vs Andrew may be because Andrew didn't break any hearts. I mean who was surprised when the story broke about Andrew & JE? I imagine when Harry left the UK it may have seen like a betrayal. Who would care if Andrew left (and took his ex-wife with him)?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Local costume shops said Nazi costumes were popular.
Which I find weird because I don't think of Nazis as being colonizers in the traditional sense. (They weren't in power long enough and they conquered lands that were their peers before.) So it never would have occurred to me that this was a possibility. I would dress as a sheik, I think. (Except I probably wouldn't go because the theme is gross.)

Noel Casler said Trump had been provided with a thirteen year old girl by Epstein at his house. She filed some kind of lawsuit much later, but withdrew it, supposedly because she was threatened. It is not pedophilia, but she was certainly a minor under the age of consent.
Okay, that's the first I heard of it. Are there stories like that about Clinton?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I remember the coverage of that party and it was all about Harry dressing as a Nazi with barely any comment on the bigger picture of the theme being so ... not something to celebrate.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I remember the coverage of that party and it was all about Harry dressing as a Nazi with barely any comment on the bigger picture of the theme being so ... not something to celebrate.
I don't remember much coverage about his brother being there and partaking.

mella

Musing about what the unborn baby is natural. Those on high alert re racism could interpret the question as racist. But really, it is just a question. Many biracial couples wonder who the child will favor.
I think many couples/families/friends muse on who a baby will favour. I also think that couples are capable of distinguishing genuine musing compared to "musing" that is careless or seeking to inflict pain. For example someone commenting on whether a child might inherit a trait that is often the subject of teasing or insults either in society in general or that an individual has been picked on for (big nose/ears, red hair) - this can be mere musing or it can be done in a way that is hurtful to the parents. And sometimes comments made on features like that are coded slurs as well which adds another layer.

Andrew is not liked. Nobody, literally is emotionally invested in him. He doesn't sell papers or generate clicks online. The press writes articles based on clicks. Nobody clicks on Andrew articles because it's a given that he's not uninteresting in addition to being a rotten character. There's nothing to say. No hope to have regarding his future. And yes, as long as he's not front and centre people easily forget him.
I remember though when Anne Sacoolas fled after having killed Harry Dunn on the roads, there was a massive online campaign offering to swap Prince Andrew for Anne Sacoolas. The British sentiment towards him is actually that they're ready to throw him in the lion's cage. They're however not ready to waste their lives reading articles about him or wasting their breath expressing continuous outrage about him.

Harry has many articles written about him because he's charismatic and despite his flaws still liked by a lot of the population. People are constantly disappointed with his behaviour because they're emotionally invested in him and have been his whole life. People wish he was still an active part of the royal family and miss his presence in the UK.

I haven't seen anyone anywhere suggest that "Harry is worse than Andrew". I really don't know where that false comparison comes from.
I was responding to the comments from Lemonade20. For what its worth a quick comparison of the comments on UK articles about H&M v Andrew show enough of a difference to suggest more outrage at the first than the second.

Last edited:

antmanb

I think many couples/families/friends muse on who a baby will favour. I also think that couples are capable of distinguishipng genuine musing compared to "musing" that is careless or seeking to inflict pain. For example someone commenting on whether a child might inherit a trait that is often the subject of teasing or insults either in society in general or that an individual has been picked on for (big nose/ears, red hair) - this can be mere musing or it can be done in a way that is hurtful to the parents. And sometimes comments made on features like that are coded slurs as well which adds another layer.
Also we know that Prince Philip made full on racist comments in his past and every generation in that family right down to Harry’s have made huge racist errors. It’s really not difficult to believe that anyone around H&M may have made openly racist remarks.

It’s really very pronounced in English aristocracy that even the younger generations are still incredibly racist. I have had the misfortune of being around white men in that class and the things that are openly said because they think they’re in a “safe” space filled with other white men is sickening. I imagine Meghan had to do some intensive education of Harry along the way.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Okay, that's the first I heard of it. Are there stories like that about Clinton?
No, not about Clinton. You can imagine that Trump went to some trouble to squelch this story. Noel Casler says the most inflammatory things about Trump and his three older children and they leave him severely, severely alone. I'm guessing he has receipts.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
What about Bill Clinton or Donald Trump? They were also good buddies of JE as were probably many more rich and powerful men. R. Kelly was alleged to be involved with Aaliyah as young as 12 and he had a lot of control when it came to her career. He is accused of abusing preteens and operating a cult that controlled his girls. I personally have zero sympathy for Andrew but I am not sure he is worse then many others.

What about them? This is not a competition to see who's the most disgusting. Anyone who abuses an underage person - especially one that has been pimped to them - is disgusting.

puglover

No - and I do believe a member of the royal family has an even greater responsibility to live a good life for many reasons including the fact they are supported by the taxpayers. I regret overstating that no one batted an eye at the others but in some it has not seemed to affect their careers and they retain many fans. I am not trying to play tit for tat - just that hopefully things that were tolerated in the past will raise a lot more red flags now - even if it is someone we like.

AxelAnnie

Which bit is "wrong"? We're all banding around our opinions in here so mine isn't any more wrong than yours.

There is no "proof" of racial comments - Which ones? The ones alleged by Harry/Megan or the ones alleged against Andrew and Phillip? There rarely is enough proof of racism for those who don't want to see - including those who witness it and become apologists for it. I've lived as a black woman on this planet (in the UK) long enough to have an opinion on when I think allegations of racism and sexism hold water and when they don't. I rarely bother to comment but the implication that Andrew is somehow a "better" royal and hasn't damaged the royal family when compared to Harry and Megan talking about racism? Just no.

The fact that Harry and Megan talking about racist comments being made seems to have been given more air time than Harry dressing up as a nazi back in the day says alot. Back then there were alot of apologists for his "ill advised" choice. I'd suggest that it was more an indicator that it wasn't an outfit that family or friends would find untoward... which tells us something about family attitudes. Now the narrative is that the more recent comments in relation to Archie either weren't made at all or were misunderstood ("recollections may vary"). Add that to the previously reported comments by Andrew and Phillip. Look at some of the ridiculously colonial undertones of the recent royal tour (that apparently Will, Kate and nary a single advisor recognised). Look at William's half arsed response when the racist comment claim was made (complete with photo of William and Kate accompanied by a black aide - first such photo I can ever recall seeing of a royal) - cringingly reminiscent of the bloke down the pub telling a racist joke then saying he's not racist cos he's got a black friend!

Come on... let's join these dots together and consider what the reality here might be! At the very least these people are comfortable with/ incapable of recognising casual racism. I hope they're not hardcore racists but casual, unaware racism causes just as many problems as overt abuse. Just in a different way.

In the round I'm far less impressed than Harry and Megan than I hoped I would be based on the early indicators. In fact I'm not overly impressed by them at all at this stage. And almost every time one of them opens their mouths these days I roll my eyes. Harry talking about wanting his grandmother to be protected most sounds ridiculous (as it would from anyone else, but wouldn't get the reaction that it has) given who she is. Although an earlier poster made fair comments on what his perspective might be on that.

But the vilification? And the suggestion they should not talk about their experiences? The suggestion that they've made up racism claims and thats what's damaging the royal family. Its not right.

Also we know that Prince Philip made full on racist comments in his past and every generation in that family right down to Harry’s have made huge racist errors. It’s really not difficult to believe that anyone around H&M may have made openly racist remarks.

It’s really very pronounced in English aristocracy that even the younger generations are still incredibly racist. I have had the misfortune of being around white men in that class and the things that are openly said because they think they’re in a “safe” space filled with other white men is sickening. I imagine Meghan had to do some intensive education of Harry along the way.
Actually, we don't "know" that. In the absence of video or audio proof, we simply have allegations. He/she said. That is all that is.

Be clear. I have not said that it didn't happen. I am simply pointing out that we have no proof.

As to Meghan having to do intense education of Harry implies he is a moron. My grandchildren know that there are things you simply do not say/
I cannot imagine that any member of the Royal Family is that stupid. The Firm lives its lives in the public eye. They schooled from a young age about what is appropriate and what isn't/
I was thinking about this last night while I was not sleeping. Here is an analogy. People have different sensitivities to different things. If you have a broken arm, you are hyper-vigilant to make sure that no one gets close enough to bump into that arm knowing that it will be extra painful.

I am tuned into antisemitism. I hear remarks through that filter. We all have those areas. Blacks (like Asians, etc) are extra sensitive to remarks about race. What I might think is a 4 on the upset scale of racial remarks, an Asian is more sensitive to remarks that I might not recognize.

I ride 3 days a week with a group of women I have known for years. We were going around the arena, and a friend made a comment about Jewish men. She then looked at me and said "that is probably racist, huh?" Yep. I heard it through a certain filter, that my friend did not.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
No, not about Clinton. You can imagine that Trump went to some trouble to squelch this story.
That makes sense. I was trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt since I hadn't heard anything.

Actually, we don't "know" that. In the absence of video or audio proof, we simply have allegations. He/she said. That is all that is.
Prince Phillip's racist remarks are a matter of public record. So they aren't allegations. Though I supposed, given things he's said in public, there's a good chance he's made much worse in private.

mella

I ride 3 days a week with a group of women I have known for years. We were going around the arena, and a friend made a comment about Jewish men. She then looked at me and said "that is probably racist, huh?" Yep. I heard it through a certain filter, that my friend did nonot.
Indeed... and thankfully your friend was sensitive/self aware enough to recognise that 1. she might have made a comment that was racist and 2. that you were the person to turn to as to whether or not it was in that particular circumstance.

All I'm suggesting is that the same courtesy be extended to Megan (and Harry). Rather than what has happened in many quarters - which is to assume they misunderstood/made it up etc.

The sad truth is that if H&M had taken a poll of black people (in the UK and I suspect the US too) on this topic im sure 95%+ would have seen this outcome clear as day. I sure hope they were not naive enough to expect change to arise as a result of sharing the story. But I also know that that would not have stopped the "hope" of recognition and acknowledgement.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes, because racism is all about people being hypersensitive to comments that weren't meant to be racist :rolleyes:

You know, sometimes people make racist comments because they genuinely believe that people not like them are stupid, uppity, inferior, dangerous, etc. etc.

If Harry grew up in an environment where no one seemed to think it was maybe not OK to throw a "colonial"-themed party, to wear a Nazi uniform for fun, to say things like "slitty eyes" at public events....maybe he did need some re-education.

AxelAnnie

Yes, because racism is all about people being hypersensitive to comments that weren't meant to be racist :rolleyes:

You know, sometimes people make racist comments because they genuinely believe that people not like them are stupid, uppity, inferior, dangerous, etc. etc.

If Harry grew up in an environment where no one seemed to think it was maybe not OK to throw a "colonial"-themed party, to wear a Nazi uniform for fun, to say things like "slitty eyes" at public events....maybe he did need some re-education.
Ya think? There is a horrid disconnect somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information