Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

I admit it. But it's really just that besides being a naturally lazy AF person, I'm also on a small laptop and constantly mistype and have to correct. I really like to keep things short. You can call it "lame". I call it "deal with it". At least I don't type in all lowercase letters and never put punctuation in. It could be worse, no?

ETA: I'm done responding to these silly personal attacks. You are only proving my point. I will continue in this thread with my opinions on Meghan and Harry Mountbatten-Windsor. Try to keep the personal insults on me and other posters in check, mmkay? I knew I shouldn't have expressed my opinion, but I'm also not feeling all martyr-ish or picked on. I have thick skin. It's just more sad and annoying to see some people ignore the topic and just criticize the poster. But hey, it's the internet. I'm good. You do you. Let's see how this thread continues.

Wow talk about mansplaining and whitesplaining. You are only proving my point. And it's a laugh that you accuse us of being like Newsmax. Every Harry and Meghan hater is an OAN/Newsmax watcher. It's microaggressive to call Harry "Markle" knowing that society's view of men who "take their wives' name" is that he's a whipped bitch. It's also microaggressive to give Meghan a nickname she herself does not use. This isn't like calling Jennifer Aniston "Jen". That's actually her nickname. Meghan has never used "Megs".

Thanks for proving my point that M&H haters tend to be racist, sexist, misogynist people. Go back to your MAGA rally.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Wow talk about mansplaining and whitesplaining. You are only proving my point. And it's a laugh that you accuse us of being like Newsmax. Every Harry and Meghan hater is an OAN/Newsmax watcher. It's microaggressive to call Harry "Markle" knowing that society's view of men who "take their wives' name" is that he's a whipped bitch. It's also microaggressive to give Meghan a nickname she herself does not use. This isn't like calling Jennifer Aniston "Jen". That's actually her nickname. Meghan has never used "Megs".

Thanks for proving my point that M&H haters tend to be racist, sexist, misogynist people. Go back to your MAGA rally.

So in your experience, what British news source is most respected if BBC is fake and lame stream? Where do you suggest we get the "truth", knowing that the news is always biased to at least some extent? Do you have any suggestions? I've been following mostly BBC the last four years to read about Trump and American news. What news source do you find most helpful?

canbelto

So in your experience, what British news source is most respected if BBC is fake and lame stream? Where do you suggest we get the "truth", knowing that the news is always biased to at least some extent? Do you have any suggestions? I've been following mostly BBC the last four years to read about Trump and American news. What news source do you find most helpful?
bbc is a great news source. I trust them for basic news. However, royal reporting isn't really heavy hitting journalism. It's gossip and trash and anonymous sources. It's like how CNN and NYT are good news sources but I still take their gossip reporting with a grain of salt. See how it works? But can you stop talking to the women in the thread like we're 5?

And IMO refusing to call someone by his name (as you are doing with Harry) is like calling a trans woman "it." It's that offensive.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
You're asking the person who takes "The Crown" as a reputable source of information about the British Royal Family which news service is a good source of information...

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
bbc is a great news source. I trust them for basic news. However, royal reporting isn't really heavy hitting journalism. It's gossip and trash and anonymous sources. It's like how CNN and NYT are good news sources but I still take their gossip reporting with a grain of salt. See how it works? But can you stop talking to the women in the thread like we're 5?

And IMO refusing to call someone by his name (as you are doing with Harry) is like calling a trans woman "it." It's that offensive.
I have always been leery of British media, due to their history of tabloidy sensationalism. Liberace sued them in the 50s for "outing" him and he successfully sued them. And skating related they were horrible in their treatment of John Curry when he came out. I don't follow tennis as much as I used to, but during Wimbledon the press was insanely tabloidy. Poor Martina Navratilova never got a break from their sensationalism. I haven't paid much attention in the last decade or so, but back then a Naomi Osaka would be front and center on all the rags with headlines "Osaka Loses Her Mind! Can't Compete!! Checking into Insane Asylum!" or the like. My husband has a subscription to the Daily Mail and he says it's probably the least crazy newspaper, but when I go on their website it's pretty, well, not exactly "fair and balanced". I read the article by Richard Kay yesterday or before about the whens and hows and whats of Prince Harry Mountbatten-Windsor's conversation with Queen Elizabeth about his daughter's name. It didn't seem all that sensational in my opinion. But I don't believe everything or really anything I read until I can legitimately source it. It would be nice to know which one I can at least trust 30% of the time. Thanks.

I am friends on Facebook with several FSU members and they know exactly who I am and what I think and how I treat others. I imagine if they read this thread they would be laughing (or probably eye-rolling) at the people calling me racist, sexist, misogynist, anti-trans, or whatever nonsense they concoct. I'm still waiting to be called a homophobe by some of the more "emotionally interesting" members here. To each their own. (EEK! Is saying "their" now considered anti-trans to the "Woke" who likely don't even know a transgender person? If I wrote "his" I'm sexist/misgynist. You can never please these kind of people. I find it amusing, but sometimes boring depending on my mood. I'm in a good mood today, so it's all good. lol)

I really don't remember refusing to call Harry by his name, and don't feel the need to scroll back to see what you are talking about. Which if I was deliberately being a bitch I would know what you were referring to. So, I apologize for your being offended by my refusing to call Harry by his name. As for "mansplaining" whatever that means, I don't know if you identify as male, female, intersex, no gender, or a cat like your picture. So chill. Hope you have a better day, CB.

As for me being racist and needing to go back to a MAGA rally, I wonder if this statement would be loved and supported there (See below). I deliberately chose 15 years ago to move into a neighborhood where I was the only white person. I know I can say "I'm the least racist person you know", but Trump says that shit. Do you really think a racist/MAGA would choose to live in an area that is 99% black?!?! Think about it. Use the noggin that god gave you. Since you are capable of logging on to the internet and posting on social forums, I know you have some working brain cells. Try to use them and also try to recruit more, mmkay? So please just take a deep breath and calm down.

l
l
l
l
V

Last edited:

canbelto

I really don't remember refusing to call Harry by his name, and don't feel the need to scroll back to see what you are talking about. Which if I was deliberately being a bitch I would know what you were referring to. So, I apologize for your being offended by my refusing to call Harry by his name. Hope you have a better day, CB.
You call him "the Markles." You know damn well that it's emasculating and it's a way for Harry to seem like a whipped bitch.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My husband has a subscription to the Daily Mail and he says it's probably the least crazy newspaper, but when I go on their website it's pretty, well, not exactly "fair and balanced".

The Daily Mail is one of the most tabloid-y tabloid UK newspapers. Its website is all about getting hits, i.e. majorly sensationalist, but the print version isn't much better.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
that's the sort of thing only POC have to deal with -- people not respecting your actual name.
Oh, excellent! The next time someone addresses me by one of the many nicknames I have had over the years that I have really detested, including some that are quite disrespectful, I will call them out for racism. That should take care of the issue nicely, never mind my pasty white ass.

ErikWilliam said:
Uggh, now I'm going to get flamed and banned, and I really don't care about that family one way or another.

Then you won't miss this thread when you are gone.

Oh, grow the %&×) up about your perceived racial micro-aggressions!
I was very tempted to close this thread again and be done with it, but I think a better plan is this--the three of you should take a week off this thread. Maybe more than a week. But let's start with a week.

Go away. Don't come back for a week and let's see how this thread goes without three of you. If it goes well, then I guess we know where the problems lie.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
You call him "the Markles." You know damn well that it's emasculating and it's a way for Harry to seem like a whipped bitch.

So, now I'm not just misogynist but sexist against MEN too??? I giggle when people call him Hapless Harry. He's an idiot. That actually might be something I'm prejudiced about. I am definitely anti-dumbass and anti-assholes. Lock me up. I admit my guilt on that.

ETA: Just saw your post, Prancer. I'll check out of this thread. I didn't want to even comment in here today, but felt compelled to. But it's okay, you can find me in PI or Russian ladies threads. I just noticed that I can ignore this thread. Will do. Peace out.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

And we really don't know if the Queen approved the name or not. I believe the only thing we know for certain - the littlest one's name.
Even if they didn't ask for permission or talked to the Queen beforehand, I would assume that Harry knows his great-grandmother fairly well (I wouldn't be surprised if he knows her better than the average person as they all seem to have lived together and are/were spending so much time together), so I would think that he knows if she'd appreciate it or not. Regardless of whether I would do it, since they named her Lilibet, I'm guessing it's the former.

And since the Queen just got a new rose breed in honor of her late husband, I now hope there'll be a new lily breed for Lili. That would be kind of cool.

becca

I like Lili better than Lillibet but I am not going to get into the criticism of using the Queens name

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Of COURSE that's the ONLY thing you got out of it. I call her Megs for short because it's just easier

Not meant to start a war. Just take a deep breath, and check yourself. You don't know everything that went down. And to only believe someone who demonstrably shows traits of a manipulative, controlling, narcissist just makes you look lesser than you really are, hopefully.

Peace.
Easier than M or H&M which is what most people do in this thread? I suggest you check yourself.

Lizziebeth

I am dying that the leader of the Royal Horticultural Society has the last name "Weed."

Sounds like a name out of the Harry Potter series.
Loved it. It really is a very realistic name for a gardener :saint: and I first thought about the unwanted little weeds that pop up everywhere that you gotta pull out of the garden and not the other kind, although that is funny too!

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I am dying that the leader of the Royal Horticultural Society has the last name "Weed."

Sounds like a name out of the Harry Potter series.
Loved it. It really is a very realistic name for a gardener :saint: and I first thought about the unwanted little weeds that pop up everywhere that you gotta pull out of the garden and not the other kind, although that is funny too!
Shades of Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean.

becca

Even if they didn't ask for permission or talked to the Queen beforehand, I would assume that Harry knows his great-grandmother fairly well (I wouldn't be surprised if he knows her better than the average person as they all seem to have lived together and are/were spending so much time together), so I would think that he knows if she'd appreciate it or not. Regardless of whether I would do it, since they named her Lilibet, I'm guessing it's the former.

And since the Queen just got a new rose breed in honor of her late husband, I now hope there'll be a new lily breed for Lili. That would be kind of cool.
I think that whether or not Harry asked his Grandmother who really cares. I mean really. It’s none of our business. I have criticized them about things but I am not going to get so petty as to criticize a name.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Prince Harry is writing his memoir.

"I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become," he said in a statement. "I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story — the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned — I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think."

Continued Harry, 36, "I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful."

antmanb

Prince Harry is writing his memoir.

"I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become," he said in a statement. "I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story — the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned — I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think."

Continued Harry, 36, "I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful."

Honestly I thought this memoir would come at a point when other opportunities had dried up and he'd need to wring the last bit out of the cash cow :shuffle:

I think he'd be wiser to keep this up his sleeve for a few years time.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Honestly I thought this memoir would come at a point when other opportunities had dried up and he'd need to wring the last bit out of the cash cow :shuffle:
I think he'd be wiser to keep this up his sleeve for a few years time.

I suspect they are striking while the iron is hot to maximise $$$. Announcing now when interest is so high in palace intrigues should certainly help pre-order sales when that is set up. Releasing it in late 2022 they will then be able to market it as the biggest selling book of all time so everyone else who couldn't be arsed to pre-order will run out and buy it for Secret Santa gifts because it must be great if it sold so many copies....

What he actually spends the next year creating with his ghost writer will be interesting depending on where he sits in wanting reconciliation with his family. Right now it appears he isn't bothered what they think.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if this book isn't anywhere near as scandalous as many are probably hoping. I don't think he is a complete ass who would put out versions of events he knows his family can't counter on the basis of their position. So will probably just focus on his feelings. But the copies will be sold long before anything is released so cha-ching $$!!

MLIS

That's my thought, too ... that this won't be a scandalous "spill all the tea" book. It'll be more about his trauma and recovery and mental health. I mean, he'll probably say things the Royal Family wishes he wouldn't, since they don't want him to say anything, but it'll be more self-help and less scandal.

mjb52

I wish celebrities would think a little more about the one-way nature of celebrityhood. I used to love feeling sorry for the rich and famous, but that was before they started asking me to all the time. I'm starting to feel like it's a lot of unpaid emotional labor that will never be reciprocated, like the friend who always goes on about their problems when you get together, but never listens to yours. I know they think they are doing the right thing and calling attention to a variety of legitimate social problems, and I generally like Harry, but it is starting to wear on me a bit.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wish celebrities would think a little more about the one-way nature of celebrityhood. I used to love feeling sorry for the rich and famous, but that was before they started asking me to all the time. I'm starting to feel like it's a lot of unpaid emotional labor that will never be reciprocated, like the friend who always goes on about their problems when you get together, but never listens to yours. I know they think they are doing the right thing and calling attention to a variety of legitimate social problems, and I generally like Harry, but it is starting to wear on me a bit.

I was reading an article about constructive participation in discussions, and it included this list of questions to answer for yourself before speaking. The author attributed the list to Craig Ferguson, but said they weren't 100% sure if that was the original source.

The questions are:
  • Does this need to be said?
  • Does this need to be said right now?
  • Does this need to be said right now by me?

I kind of feel like this when I see some celebs "drawing attention" to various causes. E.g. I think most people know that gender inequality is a problem, so rather than pointing that out, do something constructive about addressing the problem.

canbelto

I think everyone knows I'm very supportive of Harry and Meghan but I don't have much interest reading this memoir. At this point it's getting redundant. The Omid Scobie book, the Oprah interview, the Netflix series, I don't need to read a Harry memoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information