Japanese figure skating 2023-24 season news & updates

On My Own

Side note I finally got to watch Suzume no Tojimari and aside from ugly crying the last like 20 minutes of that movie I thought the music was really good and would make a fab program so I'm manifesting that next.
I have been wanting Kimi no Na wa for a while. Don't think anyone skated to it competitively.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I have been wanting Kimi no Na wa for a while. Don't think anyone skated to it competitively.
I totally forget who but some Japanese woman skated to a Nandemonaiya at some competition I watched, but it was a cover by a woman in English and I was like??? (I know they did an official English version of the song but also of all the people to skate to the original someone who actually speaks the language would top my list) I would also support this though Kimi no Na wa is one of my all-time faves.

On My Own

I totally forget who but some Japanese woman skated to a Nandemonaiya at some competition I watched, but it was a cover by a woman in English and I was like??? (I know they did an official English version of the song but also of all the people to skate to the original someone who actually speaks the language would top my list) I would also support this though Kimi no Na wa is one of my all-time faves.
I totally forgot/blocked it out of my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoX0Utlfx8&ab_channel=SkatingISU (Yuhana Yokoi)

japanice

Sylvia

TBD
Yuzu has announced his next tour. It will begin at Saitama Super Arena on Nov. 4-5, then visit Saga in January and Yokohama in February.
Article in English:

At the second JGP in Linz, Austria this week, Haruna Murakami (62.66) is 2nd after landing all her jumps (3Lz, 2A, 3S+3T) in her JGP singles debut yesterday, while Ayumi Shibayama had a tough day and was 5th (53.63), less than 6 points from 3rd; FS is later today.

Haru Kakiuchi is in 4th (69.39 new ISU PB), landing 2A, 3Lz & 3F+3T, and looks to be a medal contendor in the Men's FS tomorrow. Last season's Novice A silver medalist Taiga Nishino had a very hard fall :( on his opening 3A and is in 16th (49.65), but shows lots of potential, IMO.

Sylvia

TBD
Same injury:
Machine translated excerpt:
I have had a stress fracture of the talus in my right foot for a long time, but it got worse at last year's All Japan Championships, and although I have recovered considerably, I have not yet fully recovered, so I made this decision.
Also, I don't want to repeat last season where I couldn't give my best in practice and games while still having an injury, and my results were half-baked. I decided to prioritize the complete recovery of the injury after many meetings with the coach.
Link to Rika's post that's cited in the article: https://twitter.com/rika_kihira/status/1698607716187435319

Here's the link to the JSF's 2023-24 domestic calendar of competitions (English version): https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2023-2024/fs_e/index.htm
(I will start a thread in the Kiss & Cry section before the end of this month -- first Regional competion is Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 2023.)

ETA the link to JSF's Nationals qualifying document dated August 28, 2023: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/qualifying_2023.pdf

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ETA the link to JSF's Nationals qualifying document dated August 28, 2023: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/qualifying_2023.pdf
Seeded player [top 3 at Nationals]
3 Sr girls Kaori Sakamoto Mai Mihara Mao Shimada
3 Sr boys Shoma Uno Koshiro Shimada Kazuki Tomono

2 Jr girls Mao Shimada Ami Nakai
Jr boy None

Sr pair 1 set Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara
No Sr Dance

Exempt player [bye through Regional or Sectional due to an international]:

Chubu Block [Regional]
Jr. Rena Uezono Jr.GP POL
Jr. Seigo Tauchi Jr.GP JPN
Jr. [boy] Masaya Mishima Jr.GP POL

Kinki Block [Regional]
Jr Ayumi Shibayama JrGP HUN
Jr Haru Kakiuchi JrGP HUN
Jr Shunsuke Nakamura JrGP ARM

East Japan [Sectional]
Sr Rinka Watanabe GP CAN / GP CHN
Sr Kao Miura GP CAN
Sr Wakaba Higuchi GP FRA
Sr Yuma Kagiyama GP FRA
Sr Rion Sumiyoshi GP FRA

West Japan [Sectional]
Sr Mone Chiba GP USA / GP FRA
Sr Tatsuya Tsuboi GP USA
Sr Mana Kawabe GP USA
Sr Sota Yamamoto GP CAN
Sr Hana Yoshida GP USA
Sr Takeru Amine Kataise GP FRA
Sr Rika Kihira GP CAN [but first required to compete at her Regional from which she has withdrawn :(]

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I fell in love with Yuma's "Rain, in Your Black Eyes" FS which has been brushed up by Carolina. Just watching the step sequence part makes me very excited for his performance this season! :love: Yuma expresses this fast pace of this music really well.

I said it prior to the 2022 Olympics and I'll keep saying it- I've watched endless amounts of skating and have a massive archive of events from the last 6 decades. I really think he's the most well-rounded skater the sport has ever seen, and he's only continuing to get better.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @japanice - I willl cross-post the JGP Osaka practice report in the JGP forum in Kiss & Cry.

Game Changer: Mao Shimada ready to shine in the new season (Sept. 13): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...y-to-shine-in-the-new-season?templateParam=15
From the end:
A busy season is ahead and in addition to the ISU Junior Grand Prix and the ISU Junior World Championships, Shimada has set her eyes on the Youth Olympic Games as a major goal of the season.
“I want to maintain my position and keep improving my personal best," she said. “I am mostly looking forward to showing everyone my new programs.”

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I fell in love with Yuma's "Rain, in Your Black Eyes" FS which has been brushed up by Carolina. Just watching the step sequence part makes me very excited for his performance this season! :love: Yuma expresses this fast pace of this music really well.

I desperately want a healthy Yuma going forward. He was really missed in last years competitive field. It would be a huge loss to the sport if we don’t get to see many years of him at top form.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Tomoki was born in New Jersey but his formative skating years were in the Chicago area.

(Just saw this article link is cross-posted in the U.S. Men’s thread. This was also mentioned yesterday in the Coaching Change Thread that's pinned at the top of the forum.)

Last edited:

japanice

The story says that. “Grew up in Hoffman Estates, Illinois” and “a native of Englewood, New Jersey.”

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I said it prior to the 2022 Olympics and I'll keep saying it- I've watched endless amounts of skating and have a massive archive of events from the last 6 decades. I really think he's the most well-rounded skater the sport has ever seen, and he's only continuing to get better.
I agree and it literally takes all my will-power not to get into an internet fight with people complaining about his pcs at Lombardia like way to tell me you don't understand skating

I said this during the pbp but he is one of the few skaters who can actually use Rain in Your Black Eyes to keep building and still be matching the intensity at the end due in no small part to his glide and the way he is able to build speed and power. So, so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information