Japanese figure skating 2022-23 season news & updates

japanice

It has been announced Yuzu’s next ice show will be at Tokyo Dome on February 26.

If the rink is constructed in the middle of the field, they could get 50,000 people in there!

FjMhNXLagAA3ZUk

angi

Shoma did fantastic, and looking at the protocols I think he was underscored. His steps sequences in both programs are so demanding yet so on the music that I'm in owe.

Tak

Wishing all the best for JPN skaters at JGPF and GPF.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, "Open Practice" on December 7th, by an obscure Japanese skater named Yuma Kagiyama was covered by local media. Welcome back, Yuma!

He said he has recovered quite well from his injuries and is focused to compete at Japan Nationals.

Allskate

What a wonderful day for the Japanese women at the GPF. Yes, they got lucky with the technical calls, but overall they skated very well.

Shoma did fantastic, and looking at the protocols I think he was underscored. His steps sequences in both programs are so demanding yet so on the music that I'm in owe.
I thought he was in a whole other league for presentation. IMO, this was his best performance of this short program. He reportedly looked great in his long program practice. (Fingers crossed while knocking on wood, I hope he delivers a clean long program. I love that program.)

livetoskate

Anyone know if the Japanese national skating championships will be livestreamed somewhere? It'd be great to be able to watch it.

Sylvia

TBD
Anyone know if the Japanese national skating championships will be livestreamed somewhere? It'd be great to be able to watch it.
We had play-by-play threads here last year ;) (info will be posted when available in the National Championships subforum in Kiss & Cry).

Sylvia

TBD
Link to the Nationals thread in the Kiss & Cry section where I've posted all the entries by name (30 men, 29 women (the seeded Wakaba Higuchi was not replaced), 2 pairs, 6 ice dance teams) and how they qualified: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...championships-dec-21-25-2022-in-osaka.110285/
ETA - "Yuma Kagiyama [will] return for the first time in nine months. He announced his intention to participate in an interview that he responded to by the 18th. He said that his left ankle, which he injured at the end of July, was on the verge of a stress fracture, so he missed the first half of this season, including the Grand Prix (GP) series..."
Machine translated excerpts:
In July, I experienced severe pain in my left ankle during an ice show. "This is the worst pain I've ever had in my life. But if I rest a little, I'll be fine." He was optimistic, but he is not satisfied. "It hurts not on the surface, but on the inside. I can't jump or slide." He underwent an MRI examination and was diagnosed with left talus fatigue bone disorder. He was on the verge of a stress fracture.
There is no concern of direct injury. Accumulation of competitive life. "Well, it will be in time for the GP series in three months," I took it lightly, but it didn't heal at all. October has arrived. The deadline for judging the attendance of the GP series is approaching. After his last hospital visit, he was told by his father, coach Masakazu, of a still unsatisfactory diagnosis. "Let's miss".
I was in the car for an hour and couldn't answer. I struggled. "If I lose my skating, I'll have nothing left. I'm afraid everyone will pull me away. Even if I return, I won't be able to catch up. I hate it, I don't want to rest." I burst into tears.
Mr. Masakazu's chest tightened as his beloved son cried, "I couldn't bear to watch it," but he didn't stop trying to persuade him. "It is related to the player's life. The future is long." His unrealistic words hit him with reality. he calmed down “My goal is the 2026 Milan/Cortina d’Ampezzo Olympics in four years.
After deciding to withdraw, it was just an injury. “It was an opportunity to learn about my body so much that I could say 'thanks' to my injury. When I took a blood test, I found out that I was overwhelmingly lacking the nutrients needed to build bones, so I talked to a trainer and nutritionist. I worked on improving my diet and sleep." Sleep increased from 6 hours to at least 8 hours, along with vitamin D and zinc intake. I now feel that I was right to withdraw. "By improving my lifestyle, the waves disappeared, and I became stable from practice."
In late November, I spoke with my father again. his mood is positive. But se hasn't made a full recovery. Mr. Masakazu also offered to abstain from participating in All Japan. Yuma didn't give up this time. He pushes back, saying, "All Japan will definitely appear." I want to aim for the world championship (next March, Saitama) in my home country, which I longed for watching live three years ago.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara posted about their current travel woes :( (machine translation of the same message shared via their social media accounts):

"It's been about 50 hours since we left our home in Toronto due to a series of flight delays.
I am still in Vancouver.
I won't be in time for the opening ceremony [Wednesday 18:30 in Japan], but I'm heading to Osaka in time for the tournament.
Please make it to Japan..!!"

Sylvia

TBD

YukiNieve

Has this been posted? Yuma Kagiyama's practice a week ago.

He says that his left ankle has 80% recovered and he thinks it'd be OK except toe-loop jumps (which gives more burden on the left ankle). In the video Yuma first did a SP run-through, and then kept practicing 4F, which he never tried in the competition but was trying to see if he could include as the 1st jump for FS.

His coach (dad) says Yuma used to jump two 4T for FS, which he cannot do right now. What he can do is still really limited while he gets to do more day by day - so their goal is not the result itself but showing everything he can do right now.

Sylvia

TBD
Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara posted about their current travel woes :( (machine translation of the same message shared via their social media accounts):

"It's been about 50 hours since we left our home in Toronto due to a series of flight delays.
I am still in Vancouver.
I won't be in time for the opening ceremony [Wednesday 18:30 in Japan], but I'm heading to Osaka in time for the tournament.
Please make it to Japan..!!"
Unfortunately, Miura/Kihara have had to withdraw from Nationals due to "large delay of the flight from Toronto, Canada, which was the practice base, and the flight from Vancouver, which was a transit point, and the lost baggage [including Kihara's skates]":
Machine translated excerpt:
On this day, the two in hoodies responded to the interview at the match venue. Originally, he was scheduled to return to Japan on the 20th, but he returned to Japan around midnight on the 22nd, and his arrival in Osaka was delayed until the morning. Miura's costume, Kihara's shoes and costume are included in the package that can't be delivered, and Kihara says with a wry smile, "There is only a massage machine." Even if the shoes arrived, there was a risk of lifting because I hadn't been able to practice.
ETA link to a transcript of their Q&A from the Nationals rink:

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So the younger team (at JGP final) will skate by themselves to outright gold? Wow.

Sad for M/K. Crazy weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information