Japanese figure skating 2022-23 season news & updates

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love Kaori’s Dorothy Hamill hairdo…and the snazzy poses and moves, beside all the rest.

seabm7

I'm not sure what this really means, but news on Nobunari Oda:

If Japan's national sports festival is similar to that of Korea, this will be a good opportunity for Oda to test himself in a less stressful environment.

The Korean version has a separate qualification system from the national championships. Semi-retired or retired skaters can participate in these competitions.

ETD: One can consider a national sports festival as an annual domestic olympic game. Prominent with respect internally, but zero influence internationally.

Last edited:

On My Own

Mana has a beautiful LP. I hope she can get it together, because I can see there was so much effort on her part to improve her presentation this season.

Frau Muller

General question on Japan, based on watching last night’s NHK Trophy.

Unlike NAm and Europe, the audience & officials all wore wasks. Also, there are plexiglass partitions in Kiss&Cry.

Q: Is the COVID situation in Japan still so serious?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Unlike NAm and Europe, the audience & officials all wore wasks. Also, there are plexiglass partitions in Kiss&Cry.

I dunno. I don't think they had plexiglass in the KnC last year when the situation was a lot more serious than it is now.

Frau Muller

I dunno. I don't think they had plexiglass in the KnC last year when the situation was a lot more serious than it is now.
I hope that someone in Japan or with a close connection would let us know. I was pretty surprised.

p.s. Some venues last year had the plexiglass but I forget which. I remember the jokes between skaters snd coaches.

Ah, NHK had it last year…see the 6-min mark here, with Chock/Bates on one side and coach on the other side of the divider.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub

Japan has almost universal masking compliance and people wear masks even outdoors. It's not that the situation is more serious there than it is elsewhere, but it's taken more seriously in Japan.

Many people in East Asia, especially Japan, wore masks even before the pandemic because of a. the SARS outbreak of 2003, which started the trend, and b. the yellow dust phenomenon that lowers air quality in much of Asia at different times of year.

Frau Muller

Japan has almost universal masking compliance and people wear masks even outdoors. It's not that the situation is more serious there than it is elsewhere, but it's taken more seriously in Japan.

Many people in East Asia, especially Japan, wore masks even before the pandemic because of a. the SARS outbreak of 2003, which started the trend, and b. the yellow dust phenomenon that lowers air quality in much of Asia at different times of year.
I remember masks worn by some Japanese fans at the 2007 Worlds, so there’s been a long-standing mask-wearing trend there. However, I’m most surprised by the plexiglass partitions AND audiences being asked not to yell - just clap. Yikes.

I also saw this about the lesser knowledge of the no-mask wearing in Japan, just last week:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

People actually give a shit about protecting each other and it doesn’t matter whether they can see smiles or not. :p

Tak

Regarding COVID situation in Japan, it is still being considered to be clear and present public health problem. Although vaccination program was successfully applied for the general public for the initial two doses, the third and fourth doses are targeting the most vulnerable 60 and above generation.
The Omicron Type 5 has caused the peak of 250,000 new positive cases per day, during the 7th Wave in early autumn. Current 8th Wave peaked at 100,000 new cases (around 89,000 on 19th Nov), but Hokkaido (including Sapporo area) is one of the hot spots within Japan.
Perhaps due to initial success in controlling the spread, Japan seems to have lower natural immunity rate (Those who got COVID and recovered) than other countries.
It is now being reported Kaori Sakamoto lost ten days of preparation time for NHK, when she was in bed due to high fever immediately after return from Skate America. The news did not mention COVID so it may have been Flu, but losing preparation time, IMHO, did impact Kaori's performance.
Masks are still considered by most Japanese as mandatory in trains and public indoor spaces.

Last edited:

denise3lz

About COVID-19 official death in 2022 is 1.7times larger than 2020 and 2021 combined.

About masks even before SARS, it is used as countermeasures for hay fevers.
To be exact it is caused from cedar pollen.
I remember similar question in 2002 Nagano Worlds.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Just wondering if anyone has any info on the status of Yunoki/Ichihashi? They didn't compete in senior pairs at Japanese Sectionals, so I'm wondering if they're done for the season or if there's a chance we'll see them at Japanese Nationals still. It would be nice if we had two Japanese teams at 4CCs.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Just wondering if anyone has any info on the status of Yunoki/Ichihashi? They didn't compete in senior pairs at Japanese Sectionals, so I'm wondering if they're done for the season or if there's a chance we'll see them at Japanese Nationals still. It would be nice if we had two Japanese teams at 4CCs.
Ichihashi announced his retirement today.

Sylvia

TBD
Just wondering if anyone has any info on the status of Yunoki/Ichihashi?
Miyu Yunoki's post ("... Thank you for supporting Miyusho for a year. I want to cherish what I learned at Miyusho and continue to do my best as a pair player. I'd like to start looking for a partner while working on myself as a skater Thank you very much to all of you."): https://www.instagram.com/p/ClN5EyOJb-h/

Shoya Ichihashi's post ("... I want to support Shinyuu-chan so that she can return to the pair competition with her new partner. Thank you so much for all you have done."): https://www.instagram.com/p/ClN2h2aODWy/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information