Italian figure skating news & updates

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They released the usual document with the selection criteria* this summer.
However, said document indicates that the selection for Euros takes place at the end of Nationals....but then Nationals were scheduled after the entry deadline (well, they can technically enter some names and then change them next week using the named subs).

The ranking is calculated by adding the total score (including choreo sequence and step sequences) of the Italian Championships with:
- 2 highest total scores obtained in ISU calendar competitions and in national and international interclub competitions of the FISG calendar deliberated by the Federal Council (multiplied by 0.9 or by 1 as specified in point 2** of the end of season ranking calculation) for European Championships and YOUNG OLYMPICS (YOG).

1. The ranking is calculated by summing the total score of the Italian Championships with the three highest total scores from among those obtained in competitions on the ISU calendar and in national and international interclub competitions on the FISG calendar decided by the Federal Council.
2. The Total Score, after selecting the competitions as per point 1, is multiplied by 0.9.
The Total Score of the best of the Italian Championships Series, ISU Events, Challenger Circuit events, Olympic Games, YOGs, EYOFs, World Team Trophy and World University Games is counted at 100% and so multiplied by 1.
3. In the individual Senior category, the step sequence score is subtracted from the total score and then multiplied as indicated above.
If there is between 20 points in the ranking between two contenders, selection committee can select whoever they prefer among those in contention.

If I select the top 3 scores (so a third international competition instead of Nationals) for each I would get
Gutmann 168.63 (GP) + 165.73 (GP) + 194.28 (domestic competition in Padova)=528.64 -13.55 from step sequences=515.09
Joos 179.4 (Golden Spin) +163.71 (181.9 from Tallin Trophy multiplied by 0.9) + 182.93 (domestic competition in Torino)=526.04 - 13.84 from StSq=512.2
Pezzetta 179.59 (Warsaw Cup) +163.62 (Finlandia Trophy) + 165.54 (domestic competition in Padova)=508.75-11.17 from StSq=497.58
Negrello is much behind. She has 169.72 from domestic competition in Padova, 165.58 from domestic competition in Torino (must be multiplied by 0.9 as the only top domestic competition is counted fully) + 137.5 from Nice Trophy (152.78 multiplied by 0.9).

If I select top 2 scores, I would get
Gutmann 168.63 (GP) + 194.28 (domestic competition in Padova)=362.91 -8.98 from step sequences=353.93
Joos 179.4 (Golden Spin) + 182.93 (domestic competition in Torino)=362.33- 9.93 from StSq=353.3
Pezzetta 179.59 (Warsaw Cup) + 165.54 (domestic competition in Padova)=345.13-7.59 from StSq=337.54
Negrello 318.7 - 7.27 from StSq=311.4

Italy have women 2 spots for Euros
Ahhhh, good to know! I didn't realize Italy has 2 spots for Euros. It does seem like Gutmann & Joos are the strongest choices but that Pezzetta could nab one of the spots if she blows them both away at Nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Euros entries are due tomorrow - am curious what the criteria for Italy is, especially since Nationals isn't until next week. Italy has 3 spots in Men, Pairs & Dance, 1 spot in Women.

The Men, Pairs & Dance selections seem rather obvious - Rizzo, Frangipani, Memola; Conti/Macii, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Beccari/Guarise; and Guignard/Fabbri, Manni/Roethlisberger, Dozzi/Papetti.

The Women's spot... ??? Seems like it's between Gutmann, Negrello, Joos, and Pezzetta?

I think 🇮🇹 should just go for it, and give it to Sarina

Andrea82

Ahhhh, good to know! I didn't realize Italy has 2 spots for Euros. It does seem like Gutmann & Joos are the strongest choices but that Pezzetta could nab one of the spots if she blows them both away at Nationals.
Indeed. Provisional entry list on ISU website is Joos and Gutmann with Pezzetta and Piredda as subs.

Rest as expected.
Rizzo, Frangipani, Memola. Sub: Zich
Conti/Macii, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Beccari/Guarise. Subs: Valesi/Piazza, Çaldara/Maglio
Guignard/Fabbri, Manni/Roethliesberger, Dozzi/Papetti. Subs: Galimberti/Mandelli

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Conti/Macii are out of Italian Nats -

She had had the flu for the past 4 days. :(

Hedwig

Antique member

That sucks but better now than at Euros

Andrea82

Also listed as WD
Rizzo https://www.fisg.it/upload/result/6234/campitassoluti/SEG001.htm
Paolino/Tuba https://www.fisg.it/upload/result/6234/campitassoluti/SEG009.htm

Andrea82

National Ranking for Women is (if I didn't make any typos in inputing the data in excel)
(full score of Nationals + 2 other highest scores*
  • GPs, JGPs, Challengers and top domestic competition are counted fully; other international events and other domestic competitions are factored by 0.9
  • step sequences from Senior FS are deduced, except for Nationals

1) Sarina Joos 546.08 points
(192.78 from Nationals + 182.93 for Torino domestic competition + 179.4 for Golden Spin - 5.07 and 3.96 for the Step Sequences)
2) Lara Naki Gutmann 537.51
(183.88 from Nationals + 194.28 for Padova domestic competition + 168.33 for GP Finland - 5.07 and 3.91 for Step Sequences)
3) Anna Pezzetta 519.13 points
(181.59 from Nationals + 179.59 for Warsaw Cup + 165.54 for Padova domestic competition - 3.96 and 3.63 for Step Sequences)
4) Marina Piredda 484.134 points
(181.53 from Nationals + 155.889 for Edusport + 154.99 for Padova domestic competition - 4.81 and 3.465 for Step Sequences) * EduSport scores is multiplied by 0.9
5) Ginevra Lavinia Negrello 482.969 points
(170.39 from Nationals + 169.72 for Padova domestic competition +149.022 for Torino domestic competition - 4.18 and 1.98 for Step Sequences) * Torino score is multiplied by 0.9
6) Amanda Ghezzo 446.38 points
(154.7 from Nationals + 149.19 for Padova domestic competition + 146.34 for Bangkok JGP - 3.85 for Step Sequences)
7) Chiara Minighini 430.863 points
(163.57 from Nationals + 137.45 for JGP Budapest + 129.83 for Skate Celje) * Skate Celje score is multiplied by 0.9

Last edited:

Andrea82

Kateri

void beast
His SP wasn't the one he used earlier in the season, it was a shortened version of his Irrepressibles LP from a few years back. I have no idea if this is related, it's just an observation.

(But maybe if he did think it might be his last comp, he wanted to bring back one of his favourite/most successful programmes a lil bit? Or... maybe the previous music title, "Last Dance", felt too on-the-nose/prophetic to bear?)

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
@Andrea82 please can you tell us what the criteria is for which pairs will go to Worlds? :saint: I’ve looked through the thread and can’t see it, but you seemed to be very knowledgeable on the Euros criteria :)

Andrea82

@Andrea82 please can you tell us what the criteria is for which pairs will go to Worlds? :saint: I’ve looked through the thread and can’t see it, but you seemed to be very knowledgeable on the Euros criteria :)

The FISG document says
*Nationals +3 best other competitions
*One of the 3 competitions must have taken place after Nationals
*Scores from ISU events and Challenger Series count fully
*Scores from other international competitions are multiplied by 0.9
*Top score from domestic national championship series is counted fully. Other domestic scores are factored by 0.9
*If you skip Nationals, you can use a 4th score, multiplied by 1.0 or 0.9 as above.
*if there are less than 20 points between two pairs in the ranking, selection committee can pick up regardless of who is ahead

So, if I've not missed any point, the situation is

Conti/Macii 803.64
187.25 Europeans
205.88 GP Final
200.35 Lombardia Trophy
210.16 domestic competition in Turin

Beccari/Guarise 772.34
191.13 Nationals
199.19 Europeans
191.71 Nebelhorn Trophy
190.31 NHK Trophy

Ghilardi/Ambrosini 768.41
192.88 Nationals
195.68 Europeans
191.00 Cup of China
188.85 GP Final

eleonorad

I wonder what is the point of competing at Europeans.
I have some thoughts on this. He mentioned a hip injury in his IG reel and the need for a hip surgery but he didn't go into details. We know that many of these hip issues can be career-ending injuries and in the best case scenario, the recovery is very long and can be challenging (Carolina, for instance, talked about her own experience in some interviews during lockdown).

Again, we don't know the details (and even if I knew, I am no hip expert!).

I almost don't want to say it out loud but if the injury is very serious, which likely is, there is a chance that the surgery or the recovery doesn't go as planned or he doesn't succeed in getting all of his jumps back and this might be his last ride.

If doctors say it is safe to postpone the surgery by just a few weeks, and there is a chance that things go wrong after the surgery, then I would have done the same. Doctors signed this off so I want to believe this is safe and trust the medical team.

Realistically his medal chances might be significantly smaller since he can't use his 4L as well, and again this is all speculation, but I understand him.

sus2850

In the press conference Rizzo said that the doctors said he could cause no greater damage to himself by skating now as „everything is already broken“. In the mixed zone he mentioned he expected to be able to be back skating after surgery.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Rizzo's surgery went well!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Rizzo's surgery went well!

can’t believe it already happened. So he’s not going to worlds, who are the men going to worlds?

Sk8swan

Sk8swan

In almost all interviews they talk about how they teamed up and how they became such a good match in a short amount of time, considering their age gap and Lucrezia being new to the discipline. They also talk about what they value about each other, their short and long terms plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information