ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Bigbird

If the federation organises a banquet and puts it on the schedule, it’s a bit unkind to blame the skaters for attending. There is usually an expectation that the skaters attend these events.
Yes. But athletes must know when and how to seize the moment and respect and protect themselves as well.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If the federation organises a banquet and puts it on the schedule, it’s a bit unkind to blame the skaters for attending. There is usually an expectation that the skaters attend these events.
Visibility is everything for athletes at a competition.

I believe they are reprimanded (ie: fined) if they don't attend press conferences (as a place-getter) or skip the gala if slated to perform.

I would imagine playing the game is just as important as skating well.

Bigbird

I would put the blame squarely for this on the Russian Federation. This would have been the athletes dinner for the final day of the competition so if they don’t go to the banquet they go out of their own pocket for that meal.
And this would be difficult for whom? It was exceedingly reckless. Okay, the gala was one thing but the banquet another. If I were fined for protecting my health and that of my family I would say it's retirement time.

Orm Irian

Visibility is everything for athletes at a competition.

I believe they are reprimanded (ie: fined) if they don't attend press conferences (as a place-getter) or skip the gala if slated to perform.

I would imagine playing the game is just as important as skating well.
Part of a skater's prize money can be docked for failure to attend publicity events and/or have appropriate programs ready for the gala, per the GP documents. Though I assume that this doesn't apply in cases of doctor-certified illness or injury, such as that time when Javier Fernandez had to bow out of the gala after having a terrible stomach flu during Cup of China.

Bigbird

Part of a skater's prize money can be docked for failure to attend publicity events and/or have appropriate programs ready for the gala, per the GP documents. Though I assume that this doesn't apply in cases of doctor-certified illness or injury, such as that time when Javier Fernandez had to bow out of the gala after having a terrible stomach flu during Cup of China.
Money or your health? That is a choice we're being forced to make? Well both parties are equally brilliant. This virus even with the vaccine may become a permanent part of our lives so I'd say good luck with the strategy of constantly disregarding protocols. From what we've been hearing from news articles Putin will not take his own vaccine, but he ensured one of his daughters was jabbed. LOL. Other vaccines only provide a mere three months of immunity. So each man and woman must think for himself, regardless of the cost.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Other vaccines only provide a mere three months of immunity.
We don't know how much immunity any of the currently finished vaccines provides. What we do know is that at least one of them provides a minimum of three months of protection against C-19. We can't know how much more than that it might provide yet because there hasn't been any more time than that to track the effect in!

jlai

Question everything
I am concerned about the safety guidelines at the grand prix; that said, I think questions and stories on this by Russian median is more likely to receive a more receptive response.

Sylvia

TBD
IFS' interview with ISU vice president Alexander Lakernik (Dec. 8):
Excerpts:
Link to the Minsk Winter Star competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section (Aymoz is entered): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ian-championships-dec-10-12-minsk-blr.107847/
We are hoping that we can have the World Championships. The ISU is doing everything possible to make it happen. As for the European Championships, I think the ISU Council will discuss what to do on December 10 because the situation in Croatia is not that good. But I will not anticipate the discussions and decision of the Council.
The idea to hold the Grand Prix Final has not been completely abandoned. It was cancelled in China, but the question to hold it is still open. If it is possible to move it to another place, we will have to decide when and where. Now it maybe makes sense to move some events to the end of the season. If usually April is the very end of the season, now maybe we can hold something in April in this unusual season.
Would it be an option to move Europeans to another country if the situation in Croatia does not improve?

As for the European Championships, there are two questions: To leave it where it is, or to try to move it and to which date? In theory, we have the chance to move Europeans because we don’t have Four Continents and the World Junior Championships. We have two months in between Europeans and Worlds. As the situation in many countries is not improving right now, worsening or only stabilizing, maybe that would make sense. Again, this is just an idea. The Council will make the decision. I think there has to be a decision regarding Europeans as it is coming up soon.

sk8nlizard

Have they said anything about allowing people with no tech minimums compete at World’s this year if they happen? I was thinking about skaters from smaller countries that haven’t been able to get to an international competition to try to achieve minimums all the way to people like Alexa and Brandon who have also not been able to achieve minimums. Maybe they are planning to drop them for this year only?

Colonel Green

Have they said anything about allowing people with no tech minimums compete at World’s this year if they happen? I was thinking about skaters from smaller countries that haven’t been able to get to an international competition to try to achieve minimums all the way to people like Alexa and Brandon who have also not been able to achieve minimums. Maybe they are planning to drop them for this year only?
They haven't said anything about minimums, that I'm aware of.

Realistically if Worlds (or Euros) actually happens, there will need to be accommodations along those lines.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
They were at Skate America, though, so the ISU has that basis to go from, even if it doesn't statistically count. If they completely open TES, it could potentially be back to 2009 or so with 50+ entries and we all know the ISU doesn't want that. So there will surely be some happy medium.

sk8nlizard

They were at Skate America, though, so the ISU has that basis to go from, even if it doesn't statistically count. If they completely open TES, it could potentially be back to 2009 or so with 50+ entries and we all know the ISU doesn't want that. So there will surely be some happy medium.
True...maybe the same slots your country qualified in 2020 but any skater of the federations choosing could attend? Still not perfect, but probably likely to keep the field more manageable?

Colonel Green

In a normal year I'd say that would be a concern, but in this of all years, the likelihood of getting flooded with a bunch of nobodies seems a lot lower.

Now, if they wanted to still have some kind of screening process, they could ask for domestic competition or training videos on a case-by-case basis.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
If this year's Worlds is used to determine Olympic slots, I'd think each federation would want to send its strongest skaters.

Turbo-Mom

All the skaters have had a rough year having to train wherever and whenever they can, including multiple quarantines, and interrupted periodization training. Perhaps let all Federations send an entry if already qualified TES scores and add second and third Team Members based on slots from last worlds
Just have a free program as first round with all the skaters and then include the number that satisfies the TV cut off (24 for dance) in the Rhythm and Free
The more the merrier especially after all they had had to deal with. maybe 40 in preliminary round, 24 in rhythm dance and Then the free dance

Japanfan

That is categorically untrue in several examples. Saoise Ronan being one example. Jamie Bell, Freddy Highmore, to name a few

What age do you refer to?

I'm thinking mainly of really young actors. For example, the boy in 'Room' (___ Tremblay IIRC), who was wonderful.

MsZem

I see the sea
All the skaters have had a rough year having to train wherever and whenever they can, including multiple quarantines, and interrupted periodization training. Perhaps let all Federations send an entry if already qualified TES scores and add second and third Team Members based on slots from last worlds
Just have a free program as first round with all the skaters and then include the number that satisfies the TV cut off (24 for dance) in the Rhythm and Free
The more the merrier especially after all they had had to deal with. maybe 40 in preliminary round, 24 in rhythm dance and Then the free dance
Assuming that even if Worlds are held the public health situation will be precarious, having an extra round and extra skaters sounds like a monumentally bad idea. The more the merrier is a recipe for a superspreader event.

Turbo-Mom

Assuming that even if Worlds are held the public health situation will be precarious, having an extra round and extra skaters sounds like a monumentally bad idea. The more the merrier is a recipe for a superspreader event.
The topic was qualifications for the Olympics
I’m assuming worlds will probably be cancelled today

MsZem

I see the sea
What age do you refer to?

I'm thinking mainly of really young actors. For example, the boy in 'Room' (___ Tremblay IIRC), who was wonderful.
Jacob Tremblay was eight during the filming of Room, as was Kiernan Shipka during the first season of Mad Men.

Some other actors who were on the younger side while performing challenging roles: Abigail Breslin (nine during filming of Little Miss Sunshine) and Haley Joel Osment (ten when The Sixth Sense was made). Osment was of course much younger when he played young Forrest Gump, but that was a much less demanding role.

The topic was qualifications for the Olympics
I’m assuming worlds will probably be cancelled today
Yes. Worlds is the qualification event for the Olympics.

If Worlds cannot be used as a qualifier, there's also the option of expanding the scope of the fall qualifier. If you meant that there would be no pre-Olympic qualifier and any country would be able to send skaters, or that qualification will be based on results at 2019 Worlds (!!) that's just not going to happen.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out the full text of today's press release:

The ISU Council met on Thursday December 10, 2021. Among other decisions that will be published in due course in an ISU Communication Decisions of the Council, the Council decided to cancel the following ISU Events in view of the worsening worldwide Covid-19 pandemic situation and the consequent increasing risks for organizers and participants:
  • ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2021, Zagreb, Croatia on January 25-31, 2021
  • ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2021, Lyon, France on March 12-13, 2021
In addition, the ISU Grand Prix Final season 2020/21 which had already been postponed from its originally scheduled date of December 10-13, 2020 in Beijing, China, has now been definitely cancelled.

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships remain scheduled to be held in Stockholm, Sweden on March 22-28, 2021. In the unfortunate event that the sanitary situation worsens further and that these World Championships could not be held as planned, the ISU Council would assess and reevaluate the remainder of the 2020/21 Figure Skating season and decide whether, in addition to the World Team Trophy, scheduled for Osaka, Japan on April 15-18, 2021, other ISU Figure Skating Events could be organized, if the pandemic situation allows.

ETA that I've started a new thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...synchros-2021-worlds-still-on-for-now.107859/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information