ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Sylvia

TBD
This Figure Skating Novice & Junior Training camp & seminar (July 21-August 1, 2020 in Celje, Slovenia) is still listed as happening on the ISU Development Commission's page:
Daša Grm posted on her Insta that she worked with Ulla Papp (coach/mother of the Finnish skating siblings) and Tom Dickson (who choreographed her new FS) at this ISU camp: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDYIXouFMnj/

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
They could combine the big 4 month bubble with a live reality show about skaters who are stuck together for that long of a time with coaches etc and the competitive aspect. Could be better than Big Brother or Survivor. Think of the revenue!!! I think we are on to something here folks...........

x number of hotels, x number of rinks, other facilities all isolated with camera crews, drama, judges,

Actually, the judges could probably do that remotely.

I don't think so. There's such a huge difference between seeing a program on video and seeing it in person. The ISU has enough problems with questionable judging as it is - adding in judging remotely is just going to make that worse.

And complete isolation is only going to work if every person involved is isolated. E.g. hotel staff and arena staff are essential to making this plan work, but they are likely not going to agree to be kept away from their homes and families for an extended period of time. Especially as many of them are so poorly paid that they have more than one job.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Anyone have an idea on what time the meeting or whatever they’re doing is? I’m off to work shortly but will surreptitiously check!

Vagabond

They could combine the big 4 month bubble with a live reality show about skaters who are stuck together for that long of a time with coaches etc and the competitive aspect. Could be better than Big Brother or Survivor. Think of the revenue!!! I think we are on to something here folks...........
"I'm a Figure Skater.... Get Me Out of Here!"

Set in Novogorsk, complete with bad haircuts.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Where will the decision be made and announced? What time zone?

I just looked on Twitter and there doesn't seem to be any information there.

Debbie S

Where will the decision be made and announced? What time zone?

I just looked on Twitter and there doesn't seem to be any information there.
The only info I could find about the meeting just said it would be online, no time given, but I think they usually meet in late aftn local time, so mid-morning ET. On their website, I see there is a doc from today's meeting (grievance dismissal on a coach I've never heard of) so they may have finished. They might not be planning to release GP news until tomorrow.

ETA: OK, I just looked at the docs from today some more and it's actually a dance judge. The dismissed complaint was for alleged national bias at Euros and JW: https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-...inal-decision-for-publication-01-08-2020/file

:shuffle:

Last edited:

concorde

Fast tests sound good.

My friend now has to wait about 3 days which is difficult because the requirement to isolate stops work and plans.
Depends how where you get the test.

If you go through the county here, expect 6-7 day for results.
We went through the pediatrician and we got the results in 10 hours.

seabm7

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I’m seeing additional news from Japan saying they will proceed with the Grand Prix as planned, although details on how/the format are yet to be determined.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

I dunno how much reliable it is but this Sanspo article (Japanese sports paper) says they contacted someone related to ISU and the source said GP series will be held as scheduled. ISU confirmed the decision at the online board meeting held on the 3rd this month. Due to the influence of the c0rona v*rus on each country, it is considered that holding the events as usual is difficult. So they plan to discuss the details later. GP series events will be held in the US, Canada, China, France, Russia and Japan. However, the GP final where top six skaters in every discipline skate can be postponed to the beginning of next year although it's originally scheduled to be held in December.

ballettmaus

I dunno how much reliable it is but this Sanspo article (Japanese sports paper) says they contacted someone related to ISU and the source said GP series will be held as scheduled. ISU confirmed the decision at the online board meeting held on the 3rd this month. Due to the influence of the c0rona v*rus on each country, it is considered that holding the events as usual is difficult. So they plan to discuss the details later. GP series events will be held in the US, Canada, China, France, Russia and Japan. However, the GP final where top six skaters in every discipline skate can be postponed to the beginning of next year although it's originally scheduled to be held in December.

I'm really curious to see how that'll work with travel restrictions/how they'll work around it. If you don't yet have a visa for the US, can you even get one on time at the moment? Can you get one in the first place, period?
And I guess, US participation will be very limited unless countries make an exception?

Jenifer

I don't see how this works for Skate Canada, with the 14-day mandatory quarantine for everyone entering the country. I guess maybe they'd try to get an exception to create a quarantine bubble for athletes and officials at the arena?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information