ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Sylvia

TBD
I'll be interested to see if the Glacier Falls FSC can pull off their Summer Classic club competition (rescheduled to August 20-23) in Anaheim, California. The Announcement is here (entry deadline is July 26): http://glacierfalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-GlacierFalls-Announcement-625.pdf
The club has posted an update on their website: https://glacierfalls.com/
... Although the club and rink management believe that our protocols are strong and that we can have a safe environment, we have decided to put a temporary “pause” on the competition. The competition is not cancelled. A new date in the Fall will be announced shortly. As soon as USFS announces their final decision on the Qualifying competitions for this season, we will be able to confirm a final date.

Orm Irian

The way the season is shaping up, more than likely it will be. Only a matter of time.

I agree. It's one of the events where they'd have a lot of difficulty getting the required six to seven judges and four tech panel members from different countries as per Challenger rules, due to border closures. Though I wonder if they might eventually decide to hold it (on a different date maybe?) without meeting those requirements, for the benefit of the skaters, if Ontario regulations permit it? It would mean the scores wouldn't count for PBs, but they still would for FCCs and Worlds minimums, which would make it worthwhile for the skaters.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Skate St. Moritz has been canceled. They announced it today.

Wasn't sure where to put this as I don't think it requires it's own thread.

Sylvia

TBD
Skating Club of New York's website recently posted an update (dated June 9th on their FB page) about their Middle Atlantics club competition, scheduled for September 10-13, 2020 in NYC: http://www.thescny.org/
SC of NY announced 2 days ago they had to cancel Mids - from their website:

It is with great sadness that we have decided to cancel this year’s Middle Atlantic Championships. The Skating Club of New York has always prided itself on being cautious and protective of our skaters and our community. As we continued to work through the return to play and the obstacles surrounding Covid-19, we have determined that we could not assure everyone that we could safely run our event.

We hope that during this time you are preparing, training and most importantly, staying safe and healthy. We look forward to hosting you at our event in September of 2021, when we can celebrate the 95th anniversary of Mids together.

As the season progresses, Skating Club of New York members please be on the lookout for an exciting announcement and opportunity.

Thanks for your ongoing understanding and support.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So, not a very positive update to add here but the entire MLB season is already potentially being cancelled because of one team having a large number of positive tests.

They are only a few days into their season that took so long to plan.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
So, not a very positive update to add here but the entire MLB season is already potentially being cancelled because of one team having a large number of positive tests.

They are only a few days into their season that took so long to plan.

And 3 guesses where that team is based. Can you see their stadium from where you live?

Sylvia

TBD
Some news/discussion re. the MLB baseball situation is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/news-experiences-continued.107012/page-257#post-5838660

The Colonial FSC has organized a "Cyber Series" for skaters in June, July and August this summer:
This monthly "virtual series is to allow skaters to have a way to to present their programs virtually to a panel of judges" Listed in their June Leaderboard: Amber Glenn scored 70.24 in her Senior Ladies SP.

Debbie S

The Orioles are playing the Marlins tonight. :eek:

ETA: OK, I guess they aren't playing tonight since the game was canceled. But there are games for the next 3 days, including our home opener. And I did enjoy watching live sports on TV this weekend. :(

That virtual series is a great idea.

concorde

SC of NY announced 2 days ago they had to cancel Mids - from their website:

It is with great sadness that we have decided to cancel this year’s Middle Atlantic Championships. The Skating Club of New York has always prided itself on being cautious and protective of our skaters and our community. As we continued to work through the return to play and the obstacles surrounding *********-19, we have determined that we could not assure everyone that we could safely run our event.

We hope that during this time you are preparing, training and most importantly, staying safe and healthy. We look forward to hosting you at our event in September of 2021, when we can celebrate the 95th anniversary of Mids together.

As the season progresses, Skating Club of New York members please be on the lookout for an exciting announcement and opportunity.

Thanks for your ongoing understanding and support.
Last I heard, both Hershey (entry deadline has passed) and Skate Wilmington (entry still open) are still on.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This was just posted on the St. Moritz ISC's FB page:

The 2021 season WILL happen. Details will be released after the ISU announcement about international competitions sometime next week. While things will certainly look different than what we are used to, the plan at this point is to have a qualifying season this year.

concorde

This was just posted on the St. Moritz ISC's FB page:

The 2021 season WILL happen. Details will be released after the ISU announcement about international competitions sometime next week. While things will certainly look different than what we are used to, the plan at this point is to have a qualifying season this year.
Wonder if its gonna be virtual like the Peggy Flemming Trophy.

concorde

If they don't participate in the qualifying comps like Regionals or Sectionals, they can't get to Nationals.
Majority will not make it to Sectionals or Nationals.

If it is in person, I am sure the number competing will be low.

Debbie S

I wonder how many skaters will be unable to participate. Not all rinks are open, many of those that are have limited schedules and some rinks that are in current hotspots are or may be forced to close again in the near future. I'm glad USFS is trying for normalcy, but it's going to be a tough season for so many.

starrynight

A friend was sent home from work and sent for testing today due to hay fever. And no work or leaving the house until the test comes back. It’s things like this that show how delicately balanced things are. How little certainty there is in anything.

Skaters seem to turn up to competitions and immediately get the flu and food poisoning. (And still compete though it and quite often never say a word).

But what happens when skaters are forced to stand down from a competition due to a sniffle? Is that the qualifying ruined for them? What if this happens at nationals or worlds? A lot to skaters always seem to be blowing their noses at the boards.

And believe me there will be other skaters telling on anyone who has a sniffle so they won’t be able to hide it.

This has the potential to start drama.

No need to whack someone with a metal bar... just report them for having flu symptoms and you can get them removed from the competition.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
A friend was sent home from work and sent for testing today due to hay fever. And no work or leaving the house until the test comes back. It’s things like this that show how delicately balanced things are. How little certainty there is in anything.

Skaters seem to turn up to competitions and immediately get the flu and food poisoning. (And still compete though it and quite often never say a word).

But what happens when skaters are forced to stand down from a competition due to a sniffle? Is that the qualifying ruined for them? What if this happens at nationals or worlds? A lot to skaters always seem to be blowing their noses at the boards.

And believe me there will be other skaters telling on anyone who has a sniffle so they won’t be able to hide it.

This has the potential to start drama.

No need to whack someone with a metal bar... just report them for having flu symptoms and you can get them removed from the competition.

That’s scary to know. We can’t assume someone has the YKW just because they blow their nose. I would assume testing should be in place before and after the competition (temperature & wellness check, asking where they have been).

bladesofgorey

Temperatures and wellness checks aren't going to catch many cases, maybe not even the majority. Only a fraction of people carrying this have constant fevers over 100 degrees. If there's community spread asking someone to volunteer where they've been isn't going to help too much either, even if they are honest about sharing info that could reflect negatively on them and stop them from competing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
A lot to skaters always seem to be blowing their noses at the boards.
The cold makes your nose run. Since it happens to them all, I don't think that will count as a symptom. They will have to have sniffles off the ice once they've warmed up.

angi

This could change things: One-minute ******** breath test invented in Israel

It is a cooperation between Israel and India, a large team from Israel will be leaving soon to India since in India it will be possible to conduct mass-testings. They will be testing several technologies that are candidates for these fast tests. Hopefully, it will work. I don't have any links to articles in English but there were several articles on Israeli websites this week. I assume other countries are also working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information