ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The doping violation that stands out for me, and of course I'm blanking on the name, is the male pairs skater who tested positive for a hair growth stimulant that could be used to mask the presence of a steroid(?). And it turned out that he was indeed taking it so he would have less of a bald spot :lol:

feraina

The doping violation that stands out for me, and of course I'm blanking on the name, is the male pairs skater who tested positive for a hair growth stimulant that could be used to mask the presence of a steroid(?). And it turned out that he was indeed taking it so he would have less of a bald spot :lol:
Of course! That sounds much more plausible for a male figure skater than steroid!

MsZem

I see the sea
Sorry I hurt your feelings. Canadians so sensitive. Come to think of it Canada will take our money but not our people also. It made so little difference.......lol
Sorry I hurt your feelings. (Some) Americans are so sensitive. Come to think of it the US will take our money but not our people also. It made so little difference.......lol

In conclusion may I please remind you it does not say RSVP on the Statue of Liberty.

Um, MsZem is not Canadian.
Though I've visited Canada and it was very nice!

Ooooh, this sounds familiar but I'm blanking on who it was!

Orm Irian

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I think all ISU events will be cancelled. The skating we will see will be in individual countries. Maybe Europeans will happen if borders stay open. Which I think will be dependent on how Influenza and Covid together will affect numbers.

US competitions may be dependent upon how states require quarantine for travelers from certain hot spots

Bigbird

Protect our athletes, coaches and officials. Let them live to fight another day. Reconnect to real life. I honestly believe the entire 2020/21 season will be cancelled. If rich nations have the wherewithal to have Nationals so be it. But this season is about survival. We are in the midst of a Pandemic these are not times as usual. Yes many may retire as a result but this wonderful sport will survive when this plague passes. Let's just be grateful to be alive!!

Sylvia

TBD
ISU just announced the cancellation of the junior GP season of 2020/2021:
Full statement copied out:

Since the last ISU Council meeting on July 6, the ISU has been informed of increased travel and entry restrictions which would seriously complicate the travel of Junior Skaters with the consequence that some ISU Members simply cannot or do not feel comfortable to send Junior teams to the remaining ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating countries. Furthermore, the potential extensive sanitary/ medical care measures (including possible quarantine) would put an unsustainable burden on the organizers.

Based on the advice of the Medical Commission and the Council appointed Working Group, the ISU Council has therefore concluded that the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating events of the season 2020/21 cannot be maintained and that all events of the series must be cancelled.

If later during the season the pandemic developments and situation change and allow for the safe organization of international junior indoor events and some ISU Members wish to host an International Competition for Juniors, the ISU would consider financially assisting interested ISU Members, subject to receiving a detailed proposal. Preference will be given to ISU Members that had previously been allotted an ISU Junior Grand Prix event for the 2020/21 season.

The ISU regrets the cancellation of this popular junior series even though it is in line with the ISU policy to put the safety and health of event participants as the number one priority.

The ISU Council will meet again online on August 3 to evaluate the pandemic developments and related situation and to update the season planning for the ISU senior Events.

Here's Ted Barton video message today: https://twitter.com/TedBarton7/status/1285340728080515074

ross_hy

I wonder if federations will take an idea from the Peggy Fleming Trophy and hold some virtual competitions or exhibitions. It would keep the skaters motivated and help them showcase the programs they've been working on.

PairSkater12345

I wonder how performance enhancement (drugs and otherwise) could be monitored during a live virtual competition. Maybe I’m skeptical, but I wonder how many skaters would be doped up on meldonium with national doctors certifying samples. And what happens with a video outage or internet outage? Or a lag?

Certain skaters, especially those who are slow, have poor ice coverage, and have poor edge quality, would also seem to have an advantage.

Skaters who have improved their skating skills might also be judged by reputation rather than reality.

I see a host of problems, but probably better than nothing for challenger type events. For a National or World Championship, I’d be against it.
Performance enhancing drugs for figure skaters are all about the ability to recover from training. You recover quickly on a day to day basis with drugs prescribed by doctors in countries that exploit morality to advance prominence.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wonder if federations will take an idea from the Peggy Fleming Trophy and hold some virtual competitions or exhibitions. It would keep the skaters motivated and help them showcase the programs they've been working on.

Motivation isn't always a problem for skaters at that level. They can work and develop their skills without a competition to go to. The bigger issue is probably that many skaters don't have programs to compete with, or programs that are ready to compete, because their rinks are closed or only open for shorter hours.

starrynight

Motivation isn't always a problem for skaters at that level. They can work and develop their skills without a competition to go to. The bigger issue is probably that many skaters don't have programs to compete with, or programs that are ready to compete, because their rinks are closed or only open for shorter hours.

I think justifying the money for training is another aspect though. When there aren’t any competitions on the horizon, paying the big $$ might seem harder to swallow.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@starrynight True, but if the rinks are closed or running on shorter hours, the skaters aren't spending as much money on training as usual. Ditto with gyms and dance studios.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
This all begs the question how will this impact the 2022 Olympics?
It will be like using a dartboard and a blindfold.
Put the blindfold on; spin at least 8 revolutions, hold a lift for exactly 5.3 seconds, do a quad toe and throw the dart. The country it lands next to, gets three spots in the discipline of their choice.

Seriously I dont have a clue.

concorde

Another point to mention is that now some rinks are only allowing members to skate at them. If before you were paying a drop in fee, now you either have to pay for a membership or forgo going to that rink. That is on top of Covid-19 fees which tend to be higher than the old fees.

Orm Irian

The official announcement for Nebelhorn has now been posted on the ISU site. The Information Guide included on the event page starts with this message:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
dear Skaters, dear Friends,

Slowly the Covid-19 restrictions will be lowered and most of the Government decisions are a borderline between keeping the number of infections as low as possible and giving back the population a kind of “normal” life, of which sport is an essential part. So also, in Germany. As of today, we do hope that at least a limited number of spectators are allowed to attend an indoor sport-event and that the travel restrictions for more countries will be lowered.

The Organizing Committee of the 52nd “Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf” continues its preparation work and will start the event as scheduled with the necessary permission of our Government. We have worked out a guide for movements within the arena, a hygienic concept and most important a guide to keep the distance between each individuals, the teams, the viewers, and guests.

We, however, must ask for your understanding that once the situation will change and does not allow us to conduct our event, we need to cancel the competition on a very short notice.

As in the previous years, the 2020 “Nebelhorn-Trophy” is part of the ISU Challenger events and to make your points for the ISU World Standing and the required Technical Minimum Scores (see also ISU Communication 2335).

We will offer our deepest thanks to the International Skating Union for their confidence and trust, our sincere welcome to all guests and to the participants from all around the World and the best of luck and success.

Good luck for your preparation, stay healthy and welcome to Oberstdorf.

Dieter Hillebrand
Deutsche Eislauf-Union e.V. President

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information