ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

Yehudi

AITA
Zhulin finally acknowledged Nazarova and Nikitin’s existence, saying they’ve been brainwashed. 🤮

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Zhulin finally acknowledged Nazarova and Nikitin’s existence, saying they’ve been brainwashed. 🤮

Good God. Can the ISU refuse to credential him at any competitions in the future?

Ena Grins

To say that AFTER Nazarova/Nikitin skated the new program they had to create - which was as much a direct political statement as a competitive program - is beyond disgusting.

It does make me think more about Eteri's silence and Shcherbackova, Trusova, and Valieva's absence at the rally. As others have pointed out, they had gymnasts who are minors there, so their age wasn't the issue. I think Eteri and Moskvina are, frankly, smarter than Zhulin and some other coaches/athletes. They see where this is going.

It also makes me wonder if the athletes at the rally had more choice than I originally wanted to believe. There's no way they wouldn't want Shcherbackova (Olympic champion) there or Valieva (the weird video they made of a figure skater being surrounded by soldiers says everything).

I❤️Marina&Sergai

Good God. Can the ISU refuse to credential him at any competitions in the future?
I totally agree, he consistently says the vilest things. I use to love his skating with Usova but I won’t be able to watch those recordings. Also he is such a hypocrite as when things got rough in Russia he was one of the first skaters out of there and he was happy to live in the West for years.

Karen-W

I think Eteri and Moskvina are, frankly, smarter than Zhulin and some other coaches/athletes. They see where this is going.
Of this, I have no doubt. I really won't be surprised to see Davis/Smolkin switch feds. Eteri can see the writing on the wall. Moskvina is all set to retire, so she doesn't have to worry about it, but I suspect she's made sure to advise Minchuk and the skaters in their camp to keep their mouths shut and be careful on their social media. It will be interesting to see if a team like Kadyrova/Balchenko makes a federation switch this summer too - maybe Azerbaijan or one of the Baltic republics?
It also makes me wonder if the athletes at the rally had more choice than I originally wanted to believe. There's no way they wouldn't want Shcherbackova (Olympic champion) there or Valieva (the weird video they made of a figure skater being surrounded by soldiers says everything).
I've been convinced of that from the day of the rally. But, I also suspect that, at least with Shcherbakova, she's from a well-educated, upper middle-class family, so they might not be supportive of Putin's War at all.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Well, Russia is banned for now anyway so he's not getting a credential any time soon.

They can do this without the whole Russian federation being suspended?
There is a rule that the ISU can release people if their federation won't.

Isn't this like the 5th time we've had this discussion? :lol:

Cachoo

Honestly I don’t even want to place Eteri and Moskvina in the same sentence. After hearing about the drugs in Kamila’s system I am convinced Eteri is some modern day Frankenstein with her girls. I see Moskvina as a honorable coach who does things the right way. Though I was ecstatic for the pairs champion I did feel for Moskvina’s skaters. And I missed Liza but Eteri’s group? Nope. Our world champion is clean. Moskvina represents those Russians that could be part of the solution. Eteri is dirty and Zhulin is despicable.

Karen-W

Honestly I don’t even want to place Eteri and Moskvina in the same sentence. After hearing about the drugs in Kamila’s system I am convinced Eteri is some modern day Frankenstein with her girls. I see Moskvina as a honorable coach who does things the right way. Though I was ecstatic for the pairs champion I did feel for Moskvina’s skaters. And I missed Liza but Eteri’s group? Nope. Our world champion is clean. Moskvina represents those Russians that could be part of the solution. Eteri is dirty and Zhulin is despicable.
In the context of them both being smart enough to recognize that they need to keep their skaters as far away from any political comments or social media witch hunts, I don't have a problem with Eteri & Tamara being lumped into the same sentence. Because I do think that's quite true and, regardless of what we think about their honor as coaches, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if both of them are entirely opposed to this war, albeit for different reasons. Eteri isn't part of the solution, you're right, but she's not stupid enough to be part of the problem. Zhulin, on the other hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information