ISU Provisional Allotments for 2024, 2025 and 2026

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
@PRlady spend a day in Vilnius on the way. It's worth it even if I can't spell it
I’ve been to Vilnius. Admittedly it was a Holocaust museum work trip and not cheerful.

It’s going to be a lot easier to persuade your “uncle” into a few days in Paris at the end of October than Lithuania in January. ;) I think it might be Angers this year.

Finnice

I am all for Kaunas. I visited 2006, a day trip from Vilnius. The poet I did my master thesis died there. They had a lovely art museum and I had the best herb soup ever.đź‘Ť So beware, I will be reciting some of Henry Parland's poems written in Kaunas in Swedish, Finnish and German.

Taso

There are not even any one-stop flights from D.C. Going thru London means changing airports. Could they have found a more inaccessible place?

Flying to Vilnius is a bit easier, it’s 1.5 hours by train to Kaunas, but if you’ve already flown 18 hours it’s a PITA.
Ryanair flies Dublin to Kaunas but not daily. Looks like Jan 7 and 10 are closest to Euros with 525 pm departures from Dublin. Inconvenient with a very long layover in Dublin and fewer traveloptions but if 1 stop is your priority from Washington in isn't impossible.

Also Ryanair flies Madrid to Kaunas departing Jan 6 at 945 am, and also Jan 9 departing 255 pm. Similar funkiness.

Anywho, airline nerd relurks...

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Ryanair flies Dublin to Kaunas but not daily. Looks like Jan 7 and 10 are closest to Euros with 525 pm departures from Dublin. Inconvenient with a very long layover in Dublin and fewer traveloptions but if 1 stop is your priority from Washington in isn't impossible.

Also Ryanair flies Madrid to Kaunas departing Jan 6 at 945 am, and also Jan 9 departing 255 pm. Similar funkiness.

Anywho, airline nerd relurks...
I appreciate that. I’m an airline nerd in training who’s the travel agent in my marriage and I spent some time on this. It’s complicated by having to fly from Kaunas to Israel and back to D.C. three months later!

I even tried flying to Stockholm/Israel or Copenhagen/Israel with Kaunas as a separate booking on RyanAir: didn’t work.

Probably Angers for us!

sus2850

I decided to fly to Vilnius, stay there a day and take the train then, it is frequent (every hour) and takes about 75 minutes. Now I“d like to know which arena, so I can choose a hotel in Kaunas.

Sylvia

TBD
Relevant excerpts of items #4-10 from Communication No. 2570 - Decisions of the ISU Council (published June 15, 2023); also confirmed on June 12 here: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...or-season-2023-24-to-2027-28?templateParam=15

4. Definite allotment of ISU Championships season 2023/24
In accordance with Rule 127 of the ISU General Regulations, the Council has definitely allotted the Championships for 2024 as follows:
Figure Skating
ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Kaunas, Lithuania on January 8-14, 2024
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held in Shanghai, China on January 30-February 4, 2024
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei on February 26-March 3, 2024
ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Montreal, Canada on March 18-24, 2024

Synchronized Skating
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, on March 15-16, 2024
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Zagreb, Croatia on April 5-6, 2024

5. Provisional Allotment of Pending ISU Championships season 2024/25
In accordance with Rule 127 of the ISU Regulations, the Council has provisionally allotted the following 2025 Championships:
Synchronized Skating
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2025 to be held in Gothenburg, Sweden on March 7-8, 2025
[Previous provisional allotments:
ISU European Figure Skating Championships, January 20-26, 2025, Zagreb / CRO
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, February 4-9, 2025, Seoul / KOR
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, February 24-March 2, 2025, Debrecen / HUN
ISU World Figure Skating Championships, March 24-30, 2025, Boston, Mass. / USA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, April 4-5, 2025, Tampere / FIN ]

6. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2025/26
In accordance with Rule 127 of the ISU Regulations, the Council has provisionally allotted the following 2026 Championships:
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2026, January 19-24, 2026, Beijing / CHN
Due to a lack of applications for the 2026 ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships, the Council decided to extend the application period for this Championships to August 31, 2023, for decision during the October Council meeting [October 6-8, 2023 in Lausanne, Switzerland].
[Previous provisional allotments:
ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2026, January 12-18, 2026, Sheffield / GBR
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, March 2-8, 2026, Tallinn / EST
ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2026, March 23-29, 2026, Prague / CZE
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, April 10-11, 2026, Salzburg / AUT ]

7. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2026/27
... The ISU Council decided to postpone the provisional allotment of other pending 2027 ISU Championships and, though all previously submitted bids would remain valid, to extend the application period for these Championships to August 31, 2023, for decision during the October Council meeting [October 6-8, 2023 in Lausanne, Switzerland].

8. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2027/28
... The ISU Council decided to postpone the provisional allotment of other pending 2028 ISU Championships and, though all previously submitted bids would remain valid, to extend the application period for these Championships to August 31, 2023, for decision during the October Council meeting [October 6-8, 2023 in Lausanne, Switzerland].

9. ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships – Opening Ceremony and Exhibition
The Council decided that in order to help organizing ISU Members and create a more time- and cost-effective Event, for the Junior World Figure Skating Championships the Opening Ceremony and Exhibition are no longer mandatory.

10. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final season 2024/25
The Council allotted the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (junior & senior) to the Fédération Française des Sports de Glace (FFSG) to be held in Orléans/France on December 5-8, 2024.

Note: ISU Communication No. 2431 Decisions of the Council (published Oct. 4, 2021) originally had allotted GPF to Orléans for the upcoming seasonn (2023-24):
7. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final Season 2023/24
The Council approved the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final for the season 2023/24 to be held in Orléans, France on December 7-10, 2023.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
10. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final season 2024/25
The Council allotted the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (junior & senior) to the Fédération Française des Sports de Glace (FFSG) to be held in Orléans/France on December 5-8, 2024.
Now this interests me - perhaps the time has come for an almost-Christmas trip to France @TAHbKA :)

Andrea82

Europeans 2027 in Lausanne
Junior Worlds 2027 in Sofia
Synchro Worlds 2027 in Nottingham

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I'll be at Junior Worlds in 2027 if I'm still alive and the ISU hasn't gone bankrupt by then :summer:

Debbie S

I wonder if the "TBC" (what does the "C" stand for, anyway?) is a sign that the ISU expects Russia to be back by then (and hosting a GP).

I'd be in favor of giving the event to Finland permanently, if they want it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I wonder if the "TBC" (what does the "C" stand for, anyway?) is a sign that the ISU expects Russia to be back by then (and hosting a GP).

I'd be in favor of giving the event to Finland permanently, if they want it.
Well, at this point, the IOC still has banned Russia & Belarus from hosting any international competitions, so it seems to me the ISU is taking a season-by-season approach with respect to the Grand Prix hosting duties. Aside from that, it also gives other European feds a chance to step up and submit a bid if they wish - we did have reports that Germany was possibly interested. Plus, given that this is the Olympic season, the Italian fed might want to host a GP as the Milano-Cortina test event.

marshallpond

I am perturbed that D.C., with several skating clubs training elite skaters, didn’t bid. But at least Boston is close by plane.
More than having elite skaters, the bigger issue is having an active team that will spearhead the bidding process, work with the local government, the venue, etc. It's a huge undertaking. I remember when I was part of the local organizing committee for the 2021 Championship Series in Leesburg and the amount of planning and work it entailed.

The great thing about the DC area is that clubs tend to be willing to work together. For that Championship series, while the lead was the Skating Club of Northern VA and Ion FSC (as the venue was at Ion), the Washington FSC and about 3 clubs in MD helped out with the logistics and participated in the LOC meetings.

Vagabond

I think the test event has to be the season prior to the Olys? So it probably will be Lombardia next season.
The IOC prefers that there be a test event about a year before the Games, but it isn't always possible.

The venue appears not to have hosted figure skating (or short track) before.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Here's an explanation of what happens. Prior to 2002, at least in figure skating, the test event often (or always, even) happened in the same season as the the Olympics. In 1998, it was the NHK Trophy in December of 1997. In 1994, it was Piruetten in the fall of 1993. But starting with 2002, I think it's always been the season prior.

Side note, but I can't remember off the top of my head when the test event was for the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Firedancer

Here's an explanation of what happens. Prior to 2002, at least in figure skating, the test event often (or always, even) happened in the same season as the the Olympics. In 1998, it was the NHK Trophy in December of 1997. In 1994, it was Piruetten in the fall of 1993. But starting with 2002, I think it's always been the season prior.

Side note, but I can't remember off the top of my head when the test event was for the 2010 Vancouver Games.

2009 4CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information