IOC's decision: (clean) Russian athletes can compete under neutral flag at PyeongChang Olympics

S

SmallFairy

I wonder what will happen with various sporting arrangements Russia is to host. I guess Euros is too close to be moved? I was reminded of it as president the Norwegian skating association Mona Adolphson (former int. figure skating judge) today said that Norway support the decision to ban Russia, as it's necessary to fight doing, and continued telling Russia was supposed to host the World Cup final in speed skating in March, but earlier this fall it was given to Norway, because of the coping cases. They also lost other winter sport events, right?

Carolla5501

OH GOODNESS . . . Imagine how unbearable Johnny Weir will be without Russia at the Olympics :drama:

Maybe if Russia boycotts rather than compete under the terms announced he can join them to show support! (We can only hope that would be one good thing to come out of this mess)

It really is a shame, but it's nobody's fault except Russia themselves. If any athletes don't get to compete, they need to blame their own olympic committee.

Actually I think the blame goes higher than their Olympic Committee... See Putin!

I think it still this way in Russia - OG medallists were promised Mercedes, cash & whatnot in Russia for Pyeong Chang. I do wonder whether & how they revoke that for the exposed cheaters from previous Olympic Games.

They can't! That would be an admission that "yes those athletes cheated" Their whole defense is "we did nothing wrong" (Ignoring the evidence is a key part of the defense :) )

bardtoob

Johnny Weir doesn't seem to have any problem with the IOC's decision. Why would he?

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/938118455198404608

Back when you were very young, too young for FSU, old people like me saw Johnny Weir wear a CCCP Jacket, that is a Soviet styled warm up jacket, on Olympic ice in Torino, as opposed to the Team USA jacket typically worn by athletes representing the USA. Johnny is quite the Russophile.

"Johnny is the only one who belongs here, with Russians," Tarasova said, gesturing to the people with Russia team jackets sitting around her. "He's American, but maybe he has a Russian soul. Who knows? Maybe only the mother knows."

"Weir, a 21-year-old skater who grew up on a Pennsylvania farm, showed up at practices for these Olympics wearing a C.C.C.P. jacket of the former Soviet Union. He is learning how to speak Russian and has a Russian sticker on the back of his Louis Vuitton luggage. Recently, he has been learning about the history of the czars, on DVD."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/02/16/sports/olympics/plushenko-and-weir-comrades-on-skates.html

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Back when you were very young, too young for FSU, old people like me saw Johnny Weir where a CPPP Jacket, that is a Soviet styled warm up jacket, on Olympic ice in Torino, as opposed to the Team USA jacket typically worn by athletes representing the USA. Johnny is quite the Russophile.
This may come as a surprise, but I was aware of skating, Johnny Weir, his jacket, and his love for all things Russian well before I joined FSU.

The IOC decision allows Russian athletes to compete while preserving the integrity of the games. So I ask again: why would any athlete take issue with it?

Jun Y

I like the idea of all athletes competing under the Olympic flag and Olympic anthem. Let's start a movement for that.

*Nationalism sucks*

I am no fan of nationalism either, but I do not believe the systematic doping at Sochi Olympics was truly a matter of nationalism. Rather, it is all about one man's ego. Because this one man thinks that he is the nation and the nation is his alone, all the glory garnered by the nation's athletes belongs to him, which is why they must win at any cost ... not for the country but for him only, in his mind.

(On some level, this megalomaniacal thinking is similar to Lance Armstrong's manipulation of his teammates into doping with him and for him. It's not a rare phenomenon, but extremely few are in the position to carry it out.)

Reactions: Rob

Meoima

Drama queen Alert. Your fan bias is out of control. Considering that there all kinds of inappropriate things said the fact that you are fixated on the miming comment is telling. (And honestly if she would quit doing that useless miming she would be a much more interesting skater. It's just useless)
Lol I am not even Medvedeva’s fan. I am just sensible enough to know this is not the time to make jokes about her choreography. You like or dislike Medvedeva’s skating doesn’t matter at this point. She has been trying hard in skating and that is true, she might not be allowed to skate at the Olympics because of the wrongdoings by others, that is true. So what’s wrong with getting annoyed at people who make joke of her at this time?

bardtoob

This may come as a surprise, but I was aware of skating, Johnny Weir, his jacket, and his love for all things Russian well before I joined FSU.

The IOC decision allows Russian athletes to compete while preserving the integrity of the games. So I ask again: why would any athlete take issue with it?

Get a sense of humor.

It is not about him taking issue with the decision. It is about his hilarious fixation with Russia that bleeds into his persona and commentary :lol:

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I understand the angst and upset here, and it's sad to have this situation affect athletes who didn't dope.

But this was SYSTEMIC doping and cheating. What was the IOC supposed to do? Waggle it's collective finger in Putin's face and say, "Please don't do this again????" I'm sorry if this might mean Med or some other great skaters might not compete. But the entire situation could have avoided by the Russian sports federation playing fair and not doping athletes.

I feel for the athletes, but not for Russia and its sports federation. And I'll admit that part of that is because I'm an American liberal feminist and "Russian interference" in general is a real sore point for me right now. And yes, that is politics. But a decision based on evidence showing systemic cheating is not.

chattila

:EVILLE:I wonder if Medvedeva could change her SP music to Kalinka and her LP music to the "Soviet National Anthem" without lyrics ... :2faced:

Or she could adopt Leonova's old Russian folk dance program. They cannot ban Russian music from skating programs, can they? I bet that a bunch of the Russian skaters at the Olympics will switch their programs to Russian folk music. Betcha.

Meoima

Or she could adopt Leonova's old Russian folk dance program. They cannot ban Russian music from skating programs, can they? I bet that a bunch of the Russian skaters at the Olympics will switch their programs to Russian folk music. Betcha.
The point is will Putin let them go to the Olympics? And dare them go if other Russians call them traitors and make it hard for their lives after Olympics?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I am no fan of nationalism either, but I do not believe the systematic doping at Sochi Olympics was truly a matter of nationalism. Rather, it is all about one man's ego. Because this one man thinks that he is the nation and the nation is his alone, all the glory garnered by the nation's athletes belongs to him, which is why they must win at any cost ... not for the country but for him only, in his mind.

(On some level, this megalomaniacal thinking is similar to Lance Armstrong's manipulation of his teammates into doping with him and for him. It's not a rare phenomenon, but extremely few are in the position to carry it out.)

Actually when I said nationalism sucks I wasn't referring to the doping, I was referring to nationalism.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I'm all for banning USA from all IAAC championships on the same basis the IOC has banned RUSSIA from the OG. That would be fair.

caseyedwards

That’s an ominous statement! “If they want to” like they wouldn’t get any support from any official entity on funding or anything.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
There you have it. Of course Putin backed down from his "never, the humiliation, we will boycott if we can't have our flag, unis, anthem" stance. It's interesting that the Russian Foreign Ministry seems to have a different position. I would say it's 90% likely we will see neutral OARs in Pyeongchang but not entirely guaranteed yet. Putin could still be swayed by those who would rather boycott.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information