IOC's decision: (clean) Russian athletes can compete under neutral flag at PyeongChang Olympics

sjs5572

http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2017/12/5/russia-doping-2018-olympics-ban-flag-anthem

According to Hersh's article, it has been confirmed that the "OAR" uniforms will be White, Blue and Red to conform to the flag colors of Russia. Sorry, but Bach is gonna break his back bending over backwards....the uniforms should be the colors of the Olympic rings or some other "neutral" color. At this rate, is there going to be a tiny "hammer and sickle" placed in the "O" of "OAR"? (yes, I know the hammer and sickle is Soviet and no longer used....this is sarcasm).

caseyedwards

http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2017/12/5/russia-doping-2018-olympics-ban-flag-anthem

According to Hersh's article, it has been confirmed that the "OAR" uniforms will be White, Blue and Red to conform to the flag colors of Russia. Sorry, but Bach is gonna break his back bending over backwards....the uniforms should be the colors of the Olympic rings or some other "neutral" color. At this rate, is there going to be a tiny "hammer and sickle" placed in the "O" of "OAR"? (yes, I know the hammer and sickle is Soviet and no longer used....this is sarcasm).
I was looking at the neutral uniforms of Russians at IAAF worlds 2017 and they were a swirl of blue white and red but of many shades and you can read the Russian flag into it but you can also say it’s not the blue white and red of the Russian flag. You can also read the white as just really really light blue.

sjs5572

i am pretty sure that Plushy has been appointed the de facto government spokesman, so it seems like it's a done deal. I guarantee you that the whole Russian team will come out in support of competing in the next several days.

Ka3sha

Icenetwork tweeted:

In an Instagram post, Evgeni Plushenko encourages Russian athletes to go to PyeongChang: "I believe that our athletes have to go to the Olympics, because for many the Olympics may be the last chance to speak."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcXVjPDFK6y/
I think that the fact that Navka also encouraged Russian athletes to go to PyeongChang on her Instagram is also important and telling (since she is Putin's press secretary's wife)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWtfhpFFWK/?hl=ru&taken-by=tatiana_navka

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think most athletes from the USA, Canada and Japan are happy with this decision ... they want to compete against the best, and not win with an asterisk* next to their name that says (*Russian skaters were not there.)

Of course they are happy to compete against Russian skaters that are demoralized, embarrassed, and very likely booed by the fans at the Olympics. If the GPF was anywhere outside of Japan, same thing could have happened but the Japanese are classy people.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There you have it. Of course Putin backed down from his "never, the humiliation, we will boycott if we can't have our flag, unis, anthem" stance. It's interesting that the Russian Foreign Ministry seems to have a different position. I would say it's 90% likely we will see neutral OARs in Pyeongchang but not entirely guaranteed yet. Putin could still be swayed by those who would rather boycott.

This is the only time I am on Putin's side.

VGThuy

Of course they are happy to compete against Russian skaters that are demoralized, embarrassed, and very likely booed by the fans at the Olympics. If the GOF was anywhere outside of Japan, same thing could have happened but the Japanese are classy people.

Is that what you really think of every skater (outside the "classy" Japanese) competing who are not Russian?

toddlj

Of course they are happy to compete against Russian skaters that are demoralized, embarrassed, and very likely booed by the fans at the Olympics. If the GOF was anywhere outside of Japan, same thing could have happened but the Japanese are classy people.
You think they will be happy watching people get booed? You have a pretty low opinion of them it would appear.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I like the idea of all athletes competing under the Olympic flag and Olympic anthem. Let's start a movement for that.

*Nationalism sucks*

I am all for this. Nationalism and politics ruined the true spirit of the Olympics long ago.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You think they will be happy watching people get booed? You have a pretty low opinion of them it would appear.

At football, hockey, etc, games, players of the other side get routinely booed and some people even enjoy that. I don't think the home team players really mind it. They use it as their support system. Happens in sports all the time.

WildRose

You do realize that clean sport benefits all athletes right? Many of the Russian athletes who doped had no choice but to do so. This won’t end all doping but it’s a start, and that is a good thing. Let the games begin and may the best athletes win regardless of what flag they compete under.

caseyedwards

At football, hockey, etc, games, players of the other side get routinely booed and some people even enjoy that. I don't think the home team players really mind it. They use it as their support system. Happens in sports all the time.
Don’t forget Swimming! Remember all the booing of Efimova!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Maxim Trankov is reported as saying the following:

"As an event of peace and friendship, the Olympics died for me!"

Http://vrn.mk.ru/articles/2017/12/06/maksim-trankov-kak-meropriyatie-mira-i-druzhby-olimpiada-dlya -menya-umerla.html ...

They died for me long ago, but I kept focusing on the enjoyment I derived from watching the athletes. I am likely to feel differently from now on. I won't be sitting on my sofa, glued to the TV during these Olympics, and the next ones are too far in the future.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Is that what you really think of every skater (outside the "classy" Japanese) competing who are not Russian?
I would argue that the Japanese skaters aren't even exempt. I just read Satoko Miyahara's latest tweet which basically says "LOL U Russian girlz are gonna get h8ted and lose to my tiny jumps ROLFMBO!!!"

But seriously, I think and hope the Olympic fans won't boo clean Russian athletes. And I hope those athletes are just as proud of their accomplishments as anyone else. It's not like they're the only Olympians who might have qualms with things their government has done/is doing (cough*USA*cough).

But . . . forget it. Only Japanese people are classy. And all the non-Russian figure skaters don't really want to win in a fair event in which everyone skates well. I guess I'm going to have the threaten to officially boycott FSU--except for the threads I enjoy reading and posting in. It's kind of like when I go out to eat and I officially boycott all the non-vegetarian items on the menu.

toddlj

Your phrasing was that they all would be happy, not just "some". Also, "don't really mind" is not "happy." I continue to disagree with your new pattern of words which are still gross generalization.

caseyedwards

I would argue that the Japanese skaters aren't even exempt. I just read Satoko Miyahara's latest tweet which basically says "LOL U Russian girlz are gonna get h8ted and lose to my tiny jumps ROLFMBO!!!"

But seriously, I think and hope the Olympic fans won't boo clean Russian athletes. And I hope those athletes are just as proud of their accomplishments as anyone else. It's not like they're the only Olympians who might have qualms with things their government has done/is doing (cough*USA*cough).

But . . . forget it. Only Japanese people are classy. And all the non-Russian figure skaters don't really want to win in a fair event in which everyone skates well. I guess I'm going to have the threaten to officially boycott FSU--except for the threads I enjoy reading and posting in. It's kind of like when I go out to eat and I officially boycott all the non-vegetarian items on the menu.
All the booing of Russians in Rio- while some were banned in the past- was not targeted to guilty people. They didn’t believe there were clean Russians.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Why sorry? I would rather see them compete than not. And team OA of Russia not there is a hollow victory for any other nation.

I don't think so. When USSR boycotted the 1984 Olympics (and the USA boycotted the 1980 Olympics), I don't think any of the winners felt that their victories were hollow, An Olympic medal us an Olympic medal.

However, I am more and more inclined toward making the Olympics free of Nationalism. Sometime ago there was a movement about that, so athletes could compete for themselves, and not for their countries. This is false pride, IMO. They can still be proud of their country and culture, without the kind of nationalism and politicization we are seeing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
i will stick to my opinion. You are hair splitting. I am sure the nonRussian athletes will derive energy and pleasure when they see their opponents humiliated by the public. The Olympics are like a war.

VGThuy

i will stick to my opinion. You are hair splitting. I am sure the nonRussian athletes will derive energy and pleasure when they see their opponents humiliated by the public. The Olympics are like a war.

Does that include Yuzuru, Shibs, and P&C?

Areski

What tweet? :confused:

chantilly

The over dramatization of the situation for the clean Russian athletes going to the Olympics here is amusing to say the least.

They still get to compete with a chance to win and everyone will know who they are regardless of flags, uniforms and anthems. Yes there would be a difference winning and being able to sing the National anthem with a gold medal around your neck.

Nationalism is a part of the experience. But it is also a private experience too. That is not being taken away. The Russian team can still celebrate being Russian and competing and winning at the games.

Every athlete competing will in their heart be winning as a Russian.

I doubt they'll be booed as most reasonable people realize the athletes aren't the ones to blame.

I don't agree with Trankov's statement at all or should I say it's tone.

The Olympics has been highly politicized for years.

I'm not sure why everyone feels like Russia is getting a bum deal here.

In fact I think the ruling was quite favourable to the athletes especially, and that's what it should be.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
WTF is the lemon? The athletes can go. Those who medal will have no asterisks by their names. They get to be Olympians, which is what they've been training for their whole lives.

The lemon is that they are being 'allowed' to compete, but unlike their opponents, they will not be allowed to their country's uniform, hear their anthem, see their own flag go up. That is a big disappointment for the innocent athletes who did nothing wrong.

Also there is no certainty that they will get to go. There is nothing official from Russia saying one way or the other.

One more thing - The IOC is going to decide who gets to go. We have already seen how WADA had manipulated who gets to go to worlds. I don't trust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information