IOC's decision: (clean) Russian athletes can compete under neutral flag at PyeongChang Olympics

caseyedwards

Why would you want to wave a Russian flag. Some posters here are acting as if Russia is some poor, innocent victim who the IOC is out to get. No. Russia flagrantly disregarded the rules, and show no remorse for having done so. The state sanctioned systematic cheating at all levels, pure and simple, and it's pretty sickening when you think of the shamelessness they had.

If you want to support individual Russian athletes, then go ahead and wave banners with their faces on them. Waving Russian flags scream "I support criminality!"
Russian Flag is not anything but the concept of a russia

Tofa

Why would you want to wave a Russian flag? Some posters here are acting as if Russia is some poor, innocent victim who the IOC is out to get. No; Russia flagrantly disregarded the rules, and show no remorse for having done so. The state sanctioned systematic cheating at all levels, pure and simple, and it's pretty sickening when you think of the shamelessness they had.

If you want to support individual Russian athletes, then go ahead and wave banners with their faces on them. Waving Russian flags scream "I support criminality!"

But Mutko said that there was "No criminality!"(

barbarafan

If as per usual ntv and c1r could air it but right now there is no broadcaster in Russia yet. Russia always split cost three ways! It would be down to two unless they find replacement for All Russia TV

23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia

Hope they can work something out and not wait for you tube. But would be nice if a Russian commentator did the commentating.

Polaris

Russian Flag is not anything but the concept of a russia

Right. The concept of a country that sanctioned widespread systematic cheating. That's nothing to be proud of. Waving a Russian flag isn't the only way to support a clean Russian athlete who may be competing.

Tofa

Waving Russian flag?!
Stop right there, criminal scum! (c)

Putin or cyrillic symbols on the t-shirt?!
Now pay your fine or it's off to jail! (c)

jenniferlyon

If the Russian skaters are able to go to the Olympics, maybe some creative fans could design a special flag or banner to show their support? Personally, I feel bad for the clean athletes who are being punished for something they didn't do. My gut tells me that Putin won't send any of them to PyeongChang.

Carolla5501

No, because she took a tremendous amount of slings and arrows for reporting, or even suggesting, that Russia could be in any trouble, regarding Pyeongchang, in the other thread. Turns out she was not entirely wrong.

She posts junke to stir things up. If she can't take the heat she needs to learn to keep her fingers off the keyboard

I am sorry you have to mock a girl who has done nothing wrong to the sport yet might not get the chance to go to Olympic due to bad deeds by other people. I am sorry you have to say that just to show how satisfied you feel when the innocent suffer.

Drama queen Alert. Your fan bias is out of control. Considering that there all kinds of inappropriate things said the fact that you are fixated on the miming comment is telling. (And honestly if she would quit doing that useless miming she would be a much more interesting skater. It's just useless)

caseyedwards

She posts junke to stir things up. If she can't take the heat she needs to learn to keep her fingers off the keyboard

Drama queen Alert. Your fan bias is out of control. Considering that there all kinds of inappropriate things said the fact that you are fixated on the miming comment is telling. (And honestly if she would quit doing that useless miming she would be a much more interesting skater. It's just useless)
I took all the heat!

skatepixie

If the Russian skaters are able to go to the Olympics, maybe some creative fans could design a special flag or banner to show their support? Personally, I feel bad for the clean athletes who are being punished for something they didn't do. My gut tells me that Putin won't send any of them to PyeongChang.

They could kick it really old school and go back to the Tsarist flag...some of those weren't the tricolor.

D

Deleted member 53443

I want to see a Russian skater under neutral flag skate to "From Russia With Love" just for the fun of it.

On a serious note, this is what should happen with government sponsored cheating, don't blame the IOC, blame your government if you are pissed.

shuilee

Russia will make final decision next week, but Russian media is leaning towards a decision of boycott.

So no Medvedeva in the Olympics unless she defies Putin!! :eek: Will she be allowed to do that? Sadly I think Medvedeva will be out of the Olympics against her will.

skatingguy

decently
Russia will make final decision next week, but Russian media is leaning towards a decision of boycott.

So no Medvedeva in the Olympics unless she defies Putin!! :eek: Will she be allowed to do that? Sadly I think Medvedeva will be out of the Olympics against her will.
I think that if Putin decides that the Russian athletes should compete in the Olympics, then the Russian athletes won't go. I don't see how they would get visas to go to Korea without the support of the Russian government.

chapis

Even if Evgenia goes to Korea she is already in disadvantage. To be involved in this mess must be difficult. While all the others girls are just focusing on being physically ready, or changing programs like changing clothes, Evgenia and other russian girls must be worried and trying to figure out how to get to compete without offend to the russian people or to their president. And not to mention the bloodbath that will be Russian Nationals.

Last edited:

sjs5572

I also hope that fans come out en masse in Korea to support the replacement medal winners from Sochi. They missed out on their glory and money making opportunities four years ago....they should at least get a big round of applause.

ToFarAwayTimes

It really is a shame, but it's nobody's fault except Russia themselves. If any athletes don't get to compete, they need to blame their own olympic committee.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Quite different taking Ritalin for a diagnosed condition, or taking opiods for injuries, than it is being a part of a state sponsored doping program that's been going on for YEARS.

ETA: I sure wouldn't want to take an opiod if I were an athlete. Makes you incapable of doing much of anything. Sure won't improve performance.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I know we were talking about these informations a lot but this is so irritating! I don't care about the excuses " they use it becaise of their illness.

https://twitter.com/ev4_w/status/938261227888955393
So you believe that athletes should not be able to avail themselves of medications that would otherwise violate doping rules when they have a legitimate medical condition and that if they need such a medication they should be ineligible from athletic competition. I guess there's really not much to discuss if that's the case.

lala

Well and I don't know about the others, but it's well known that Venus suffers from an autoimmune disease and I believe all of those drugs are used to treat autoimmune diseases, so that makes sense frankly.
of course..you imagine she is Russian..You will have totally another opinion..

lala

So you believe that athletes should not be able to avail themselves of medications that would otherwise violate doping rules when they have a legitimate medical condition and that if they need such a medication they should be ineligible from athletic competition. I guess there's really not much to discuss if that's the case.

No. The other athletes must be allowed to use it, too. That is a big ADVANTAGE! But this is not feasible, of course, thus they need to compete separately. So simply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information