IOC's decision: (clean) Russian athletes can compete under neutral flag at PyeongChang Olympics

skatingguy

decently
Putin has been in photos with almost every Russian Olympic skater, and Meryl Davis too. So what?
@Ka3sha had previously posted that Putin was probably not aware of the Ladies figure skating event, so I posted a photo showing that he may be aware of it. It wasn't meant to mean anything other than that.

Ka3sha

@Ka3sha had previously posted that Putin was probably not aware of the Ladies figure skating event, so I posted a photo showing that he may be aware of it. It wasn't meant to mean anything other than that.
I said that he was probably not aware that figure skating team event exists (and it’s also was an exagoration)
And even if he does, I doubt that he cares about one specific event.

Just to be clear: it was a reference to that post
Word is that they thought Russian athletes would be banned from team events but Med's pleas saved the team events. Putin apparently was pleased with it.. I don't think there will be a boycott.

skatingguy

decently
My mistake then, sorry
Too much stress, probably

Anyway, @becca ’s post wasn’t a sarcasm for sure :shuffle:

Putin has been in photos with almost every Russian Olympic skater, and Meryl Davis too. So what?

He was in the arena during the figure skating team event in Sochi. I always thought Julia was just incredible that she could give that solid performance with the Putin right there. Sheesh.
I think everyone's feeling a little stressed today. We all knew this announcement was coming and that it could have a major impact on our favourite sport and on athletes that we are fond of. I think everyone probably needs to take a deep breath before posting.

skatingguy

decently
I said that he was probably not aware that figure skating team event exists (and it’s also was an exagoration)
And even if he does, I doubt that he cares about one specific event.
Ah, I was thinking Medvedeva and ladies skating - though he did attend the Team Event at the Sochi Olympics as well, but yes @becca 's post was unusual and I haven't seen any news article with any sort of reaction to anything that has happened from Putin. Though maybe @becca has some information that we are not privy to.

Amantide

It's up there as one of the all time great national anthems.

It really is. I always loved it and it's my ringtone. Lol
This and La Marseillaise are my fav. I like German and Americans too, as second best.

Last edited:

becca

Ah, I was thinking Medvedeva and ladies skating - though he did attend the Team Event at the Sochi Olympics as well, but yes @becca 's post was unusual and I haven't seen any news article with any sort of reaction to anything that has happened from Putin. Though maybe @becca has some information that we are not privy to.
I got it from another forum I hope it is true for the athletes sake I'm glad Tarasova is blaming authorities.

Spun Silver

In the end, it was no bad thing that I have missed the last 2 months in light of this nonsense. I have been recovering from sciatica, which was not helped by being injured in a road traffic accident at the beginning of November. I am finally walking again, am on the mend, and hope to have fully recovered by the end of the year.

I will be boycotting the remainder of this season. Yet again, politics ruins sport! Will probably be back at the beginning of next season, by which time hopefully all the BS will be out of the way

@Bunny Hop - many thanks for keeping the video threads going, and many thanks to those others who have contributed as well. Great job
Maofan7, so sorry to hear about your injury and sciatica. We were worried about you. Great news that you're mending well. I hope you will rejoin us fully soon. Don't let politics keep you from enjoying the skaters. It doesn't seem they were even involved. Up to you, of course. Best wishes for your full recovery.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I am withholding any judgement of the IOC's ruling until we have some sort of formal response from Russia. I do not yet trust that this will not result in clean, innocent athletes being forced to stay home for actions that they were not responsible for or had nothing to do with.

If Evgenia and the other Russian skaters choose to compete or are able to compete as neutrals, then I hope they promptly thrash everyone, just to flip the bird at those who were so desperately hoping they'd be banned so their skaters had a chance...

VGThuy

It's just few words, which were taken out of context :rolleyes:

Here's the full interview
https://www.sport-express.ru/olympi...a-tarasova-hochetsya-ne-plakat-a-vyt-1344761/

I don't have time to translate in from the begging... main points are:
- she does not agree with the decision but mostly blames Russian authorities , who forgot about the whole situation after Rio and didn't do anything to help the athletes
- she believes that Russian athletes should compete under neutral flag (because authorities forgot about them and didn't try to help them)
- she thanks IOC and is glad that they allow Russian athletes to compete in Korea

Thank you for your translation. This makes a world of difference.

VGThuy

I am withholding any judgement of the IOC's ruling until we have some sort of formal response from Russia. I do not yet trust that this will not result in clean, innocent athletes being forced to stay home for actions that they were not responsible for or had nothing to do with.

If Evgenia and the other Russian skaters choose to compete or are able to compete as neutrals, then I hope they promptly thrash everyone, just to flip the bird at those who were so desperately hoping they'd be banned so their skaters had a chance...

But what did those other skaters do? You want them to be thrashed just because of a few online posters are rooting for them? I understand you're upset, but do you really think taking it out on the non-Russian skaters who had nothing to do with this nor have made any statements helps matters?

ks777

So satisfying to mock a 18 years old girl who does nothing but practice skating all her life and watch some anime maybe.
I am sorry you didn't get my joke. I am surprised you have time to read threads other than bashing Shoma and Miyahara.

skatingguy

decently
By the way, does anybody knows anything about the hockey team?
The Russian, not Russian Olympic Team is entitled to a hockey team in both the men's and women's tournaments, though at this point I'm not sure who's going to be on the men's teams as the NHL isn't allowing it's players to go, and the KHL is also considering not allowing it's players to go. I think to watch the tournament we'll all need a serious players guide to figure out who's who.

msmandaskates

I certainly have no desire to see clean athletes forced to stay out of the Olympics; as others have pointed out, several, including Evgenia, were not even a blip on the radar in 2014 and don't deserve to pay for actions that aren't theirs. That said, if they are "forced to stay home," I believe that is more likely to be the doing of Russian pressure, rather than the IOC refusing to grant petitions to compete as neutrals. And in such a case, I'd still feel horrible for the athletes, but I wouldn't blame the IOC for their situation - that part of it is up to Russia.

caseyedwards

By the way, does anybody knows anything about the hockey team?
Russian sites said a hockey team would be allowed as neutral but the doping control for khl is probably corrupted too and they aren’t properly tested so i doubt any khl players could be allowed. Probably any Russians on America or Canadian based college teams would have to be the team.

YukiNieve

What about a case where a skater (skaters) representing Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR) did a fantastic skate and fans in the arena hold the Russian flags to cheer? I don't think IOC can ban that...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What about a case where a skater (skaters) representing Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR) did a fantastic skate and fans in the arena hold the Russian flags to cheer? I don't think IOC can ban that...

If the fans/audience wave Russian flags, the IOC can't do anything to stop that. If I was in the arena, I would wave my tiny Russian flag too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information