Ice dance technical requirements 2017-18

morqet

rising like a phoenix
http://static.isu.org/media/482578/2076-id-technical-requirement_2017-2018.pdf

Rumba sequence is Steps 1-16 + 1-4 repeated (so it is the full pattern this year) http://www.ice-dance.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Rhumba.pdf
Key points 1& 2 are the choctaws :yikes:
Partial step sequence must begin in Foxtrot hold & follow either a stop (like in 2015/16) or a skidding movement, and finish with a stop, skid, or choreographic spin
Straightline or curved non touching step sequence, in style B

The only change for the FD is that the choreographic spin can go anywhere, and doesn't have to be after the dance spin.

The ISU would also like to clarify that "The costume for the Short Dance must be dignified and cover at least 40% of the Ladies upper body."

Bellanca

The ISU would also like to clarify that "The costume for the Short Dance must be dignified and cover at least 40% of the Ladies upper body."
:rofl: Not sure where to even start with this one... Just the fact that the ISU feel the need to clarify dignity re the dress code -- tells you everything you need to know, I suppose.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Is there a link to a video of the required rumba pattern so I can properly grieve for my favorite teams who are so non-rumba in nature?

D

Deleted member 19433

So if the lady covers her entire back, she's good.

:lol: The 2016-17 handbook for referees and judges does give this clarification. I assume there will be something similar for 2017-18 except with 50% revised to 40% for the SD.

To evaluate this criteria, Judges will consider the surface of the body (front, back and sides) comprised between the top of the bust line (breast line/bra line) of the dress (as the high horizontal line) and the hipline of the dress (as the low horizontal line). Arms are excluded from this surface. This surface must be covered at least 50%, regardless the distribution of the cover between front, back or sides, and high or low.

A dress complying with this description but not covering the breast would not be acceptable because it would not fulfill the criteria “the clothing must be dignified”.
A dress that is backless but covering the front fully (to side seam line) from top of breast to waist level would fulfill the 50% criteria. However, if there is a further cut out from the front above the waist (or covered with skin-color material, which may give the effect of excessive nudity), it would not fulfill the 50% criteria.
A dress that only has a bandeau or bra for a top would not fulfill the 50% criteria, unless it was a very wide band covering 50% of the area.

http://usfigureskating.org/content/...r-referees-and-judges_2016_updated_200916.pdf

D

Deleted member 19433

What percentage of the man has to be covered?

As of last year's rules, the majority (50%) of upper body rule seemed to applied to men also (even though the examples they give in that particular section I quoted refer to "dresses" which men aren't allowed to wear -- nor are ladies required to), and full length trousers (no tights) were required. Maybe it will still be 50% for men since the new 40% upper body rule for the SD specifies only the lady.

mollymgr

Tanith said it was Ben's idea in this old interview.:EVILLE:
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=buckheit/060503

Does Ben [skating partner Benjamin Agosto] have any say in what you wear, or are you the boss?
Actually, at the Olympics, I had several options laid out and Ben had the final say on the red one we chose to wear. I thought it was the skimpiest costume I had ever put on, and I wasn't sure if that's really what I wanted to do. But because we were doing such a sensual dance, Ben said, "I want to dance with the red dress!" And he explained himself and it made sense.
Usually, my costumes use a lot of that nude flesh-colored material. The kind that is supposed to simulate nudity and skin but it's just beige material.
This dress, the red one that we chose to go with, had none of that, and we could have real skin on skin contact. It worked out great, and it was really Ben's decision.

That Ben, he really took one for the team there, sacrificing all that unruly fabric.

Ha-ha. Yep, he just wanted what was best for us on the ice!

I think I've heard her mention in her ice dance commentary that her costume would have been a deduction by today's rules.:lol:

I think the 40% rule should apply to men as well.:D:p

Dobre

Well, 16 posts into the thread on ice dance technical requirements, and we currently have 15 replies about costumes & none about technical requirements. Very educational;).

So it looks like you can supposedly skate the Rhumba pattern to any rhythm of music listed, but not--as was speculated on a previous thread--perform the entire SD to Rhumba only. The non-pattern rhythm must be a different rhythm from the pattern rhythm.

Last edited:

Meyers

Is there a link to a video of the required rumba pattern so I can properly grieve for my favorite teams who are so non-rumba in nature?

Well, if you're looking for the instructional sort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUMFTcbLFk&index=18&list=PLB9E87D7BB91BA0B9

If you're looking for the SD sort, look at any senior team from the 2011/2012 season. The good news, is that the rhumba in ice dance is not slow or necessarily sexy. There were a number of teams in the previous SD rhumba season who made it more of a party dance overall, with varying degrees of success. But, the teams will need to show excellent unison, lines, and control of their edges to make the rhumba look good, if that's your worry. ;)

Areski

:rofl: Not sure where to even start with this one... Just the fact that the ISU feel the need to clarify dignity re the dress code -- tells you everything you need to know, I suppose.

That specific percentage requirement cracked me up too. I literally laughed out loud!

VGThuy

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
The last time, rhumba rhythm was obligatory? because this season it is not.

I mean Rhumba as the Step sequence, in 2012 was the chosen one and this next season though it's latin combination but the rhumba sequence will be used again

chapis

I mean Rhumba as the Step sequence, in 2012 was the chosen one and this next season though it's latin combination but the rhumba sequence will be used again

oh, thanks, and do you like the pattern? or do you think it will be epic because the latin rhythms?

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
oh, thanks, and do you like the pattern? or do you think it will be epic because the latin rhythms?

For me is so-so, there are some more difficult patterns that have not been used, but if it means we wont have Tango or Golden Waltz AGAIN I'm ok

I just can imagine the weird music cuts, mix or edit (and I'm talking to you Shpilband!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information