Ice Dance Requirements for Technical Rules season 2018/19

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I actually think Piper and Paul would be fabulous at knee sliding.
I'm okay with knee sliding in synch. That's pretty cool. But the knee dragging bothers me (one partner dragging another on their knees around the ice)

D

Deleted member 74551

I caught a bit of the meeting but it was over 2 and a half hours so I missed a lot. The dancers aren't happy with the vagueness of the entertainment bonus. That proposal seems like it's in flux. It's supposed to be about looking at the big picture of the program and they want to start at +1 with potential to expand the range of marks later. Nobody seems best pleased with this and it seems like it will be really difficult to judge in any meaningful way so I don't know if it'll happen.

2019/2020 SD rhythm for both seniors and juniors is Musical/Operetta/Broadway and get this, no pattern dance. Instead there will be a 'pattern dance type step sequence' to one of Quickstep/Blues/March/Foxtrot. I'm forgetting another option. There were definitely five. Polka?

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I don't remember there being a choero violation in the FD for separations before -that's new right?

-Distance allowed is maximum 2 arms length during separations;
-Durations of each separations (outside Req. Elements) is 5 seconds max;
-Separations at beginning and/or end of program are permitted up to 10 seconds, no restrictions on distance of separation.

VGThuy

2019/2020 SD rhythm for both seniors and juniors is Musical/Operetta/Broadway and get this, no pattern dance. Instead there will be a 'pattern dance type step sequence', whatever that means, to one of Quickstep/Blues/March/Foxtrot. I'm forgetting another option. There were definitely five. Polka?

I am really happy about this and really mad about this. OMG happy at the Musical/Operetta/Broadway part but OMG angry at no pattern dance. WTH. They really are trying to kill the compulsory dances. I'm trying to imagine pattern dance type step sequence...like it has to be in the style of the above rhythms? Is it like the pattern step sequence this season?

chameleonster

I'm assuming the "pattern type step sequence" is just the partial. For the Ravensburger Waltz teams created their own steps to march, polka, or foxtrot, so I'm assuming a similar thing here. Optimistically the ISU is trying to create patterns, as we got a couple new patterns from that season that will be introduced at the lower levels next quad.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I am really happy about this and really mad about this. OMG happy at the Musical/Operetta/Broadway part but OMG angry at no pattern dance. WTH. They really are trying to kill the compulsory dances. I'm trying to imagine pattern dance type step sequence...like it has to be in the style of the above rhythms? Is it like the pattern step sequence this season?

Like in 2015/16 when they had to do the partial step sequence to one of 3 rhythms, with some requirements & entirely in hold, but making up their own steps. Part of the aim with that was to get more new compulsory patterns.

clairecloutier

:( No pattern dance in 2019-20. :(

So does this mark the final end of the compulsories?

It was always a strange fit, trying to shoehorn them into the SD, but still I will miss them.

Shouldn't a change of that magnitude be something the entire ISU Congress would vote on? Sometimes I do not understand what is passed in committee vs. what gets voted on.

chameleonster

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I feel like if the ISU intended to end the compulsories for good, we wouldn't be getting the entire tango romantica next season, instead of just a small section like we've been getting recently.

D

Deleted member 74551

Aren't we getting the full Tango Romantica in the SD next season though? I'm not a fan at all of not having a pattern dance in 2019/20, but I'd hesitate to nail down the coffin just yet. If the aim is to develop some new patterns out of this, better to try something out mid-quad than in an Olympic year. If the patterns do end up disappearing altogether from the SD I'll be first in line to protest.

Musical/Operetta/Broadway should yield some fun programs if teams are willing to think a little outside the box. If we get four teams using Chicago and another three using Hamilton I may think a little differently!

Marta24

Aren't we getting the full Tango Romantica in the SD next season though? I'm not a fan at all of not having a pattern dance in 2019/20, but I'd hesitate to nail down the coffin just yet. If the aim is to develop some new patterns out of this, better to try something out mid-quad than in an Olympic year. If the patterns do end up disappearing altogether from the SD I'll be first in line to protest.

Musical/Operetta/Broadway should yield some fun programs if teams are willing to think a little outside the box. If we get four teams using Chicago and another three using Hamilton I may think a little differently!
Or Ghost :shuffle:
I like the idea of having a musical/operetta/broadway SD, but it would be quiet the departure of what we have seen in the last two quads.

Dobre

I have to say . . .

I think Dirty Dancing made an impression last season. The poor judges and audience members sat through all those lyrical programs last season. And that free skate was one of the only upbeat programs in the FD.

Now we have a broadway/musical SD rhythm and a suggested "entertainment" bonus. (How to save us from Phantom, Les Mis, & Moulin Rouge though . . .)

Last edited:
C

casken

I have to say . . .

I think Dirty Dancing made an impression last season. The poor judges and audience members sat through all those lyrical programs last season. And that free skate was one of the only upbeat programs in the FD.

Now we have a broadway/musical SD rhythm and a suggested "entertainment" bonus.

Look at how much better V&M's FD was received once they changed out the subtle ending for the big "ta-da!" ending.

Commercial freedances for the masses I guess. :blah:

topaz

There has to be a pattern dance. HAS TO BE.

The theme/character dance still seems vague to me. Does the character program have to have a tango romantica elements? Or is that just a required sequence the skaters have to use?

clairecloutier

The theme/character dance still seems vague to me. Does the character program have to have a tango romantica elements? Or is that just a required sequence the skaters have to use?

For next year's SD, the ice dancers have to skate 2 patterns of the Tango Romantic compulsory.

For the following year's SD, there is no compulsory. (Read back a page or so to see more details.)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m hoping that we get a lot of traditional (1930s, 40s, 50s) type of musicals...42nd Street, On the Town, No no Nanette and such. Think Ethel Merman belting out “I’ve Got Rhythm”! Who could ask for anything more? Whee!!!

Tak

I don't remember there being a choero violation in the FD for separations before -that's new right?

-Distance allowed is maximum 2 arms length during separations;
-Durations of each separations (outside Req. Elements) is 5 seconds max;
-Separations at beginning and/or end of program are permitted up to 10 seconds, no restrictions on distance of separation.

Well, this is something else I approve of. A lot of the couples were getting way too far apart from each other during the dance. It used to be penalised, and IMO it should be. Im glad to see them doing it again.

D

Deleted member 74551

The juniors have to do the Tea Time Foxtrot in 2019/20, I should have mentioned. It's just the seniors who have no set pattern.

manhn

Maybe having no set pattern is not an attempt to abandon the CD but to perhaps discover more patterns? We were running out. It lacks the number of themes we can find for a SD. 1 NON set pattern SD per quad may not be such a bad thing.

chameleonster

The juniors have to do the Tea Time Foxtrot in 2019/20, I should have mentioned. It's just the seniors who have no set pattern.
Is that the pattern taken from Kaliszek/Spodiriev's 2015/16 SD? If so, that does seem to indicate that the ISU isn't trying to get rid of patterns entirely.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I was watching some compulsory dances from past Olympics earlier. I miss compulsories, crappy music and all. I'll be sad if this is the end of them. But looking forward to seeing Tango Romantica next season in the meantime.

D

Deleted member 74551

Maybe having no set pattern is not an attempt to abandon the CD but to perhaps discover more patterns? We were running out. It lacks the number of themes we can find for a SD. 1 NON set pattern SD per quad may not be such a bad thing.

I suspect this is what they're doing. It's a bit ironic to rename it the 'Rhythm Dance' and then not base it on any rhythms though. I can get excited about Broadway, but it's a genre not a rhythm and a very broad one at that. You could find music from a musical to dance pretty much any style to, but that's what the FD is there for.

Tak

I'm hoping it signals the return of something like the old OSP. That was one of my favourite incarnations of OD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information