Hurricane Maria

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
@skatesindreams - I don't think I've properly thanked you (at least not enough) for your posts.

Per status.pr, Puerto Rico is still a little under 60% power generation. Note that this doesn't equal % of population with electricity (power consumption). I'm still not over PREPA's mess with the Whitefish contract, suffice it to say it's a mess when at best the local government is incompetent and the federal government apathetic/indifferent.

My relatives are holding on. @Jimena I hope you and your family are doing ok, please update when you have a chance!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
We shared Thanksgiving dinner with two of my niece's classmates, one of whom is from Puerto Rico. I struggled with what to say, but I new I had to say something and figured "I hope your family is ok" was appropriate. Well, it was pretty obvious from her reaction that her formerly upper middle class family was NOT ok, didn't have power, and was expending every available resource to keep the family going. I can't begin to imagine how the working class and poor are doing.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Today's Boston Globe (12/3) had a great write up on the islands that are capable of handling tourists this winter. Since many of the displaced hotel employees from the devastated areas have been relocated, visiting a place like St Lucia actually can help someone from Barbuda, for example.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
http://www.salemnews.com/news/local...cle_9ed5f381-331e-5352-b40c-46a9ca8af7a2.html

Perhaps this will lead to action, once the continental US is affected :rolleyes:
Yup, the only good thing about that is that people DO generally step and do something when it affects them directly. Too bad we can't be moved by, oh, I dunno, simple compassion. . . .

A childhood friend and I still exchange Christmas gifts, even though she's an atheist and we haven't lived in the same area for nearly 20 years, but her daughter has been heartbroken by the disaster in PR. Friend said daughter would love it if instead of a gift I donated to PR relief. So I did. :)

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I was wondering if the medical device and other plants in PR were up and running yet. I'd assumed not, due to the power issues, but I hadn't seen anything in the press about this recently until the stories about the IV bags came out this week.

I was thinking the same thing, once_upon; perhaps, once this impacts the mainland and that makes the press, PR will see more action from the federal government. Finally.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
One America Appeal, started by the five former U.S. Presidents, had their fundraiser concert today for hurricane relief for Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. They have raised $31 million so far.

Click here to see the concert. The five presidents (Carter, Bush-41, Clinton, Bush-43, and Obama) are on stage and speaking together at about 1:37:40 if anyone wants to skip to that.
Well, at least SOME of our presidents know how to act appropriately in the face of disaster. . .

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am wondering if other states are offering help to the displaced people of Puerto Rico? New York is a very expensive place. I know Florida has already done a lot. What about other states like Arizona, New Mexico, etc. where there is a Hispanic population, so language barrier won't be there. They are less expensive. If there was a plan to relocate them from the hotels in New York, and helped the, find jobs and temporary residences, the burden will be shared by a bigger part of the country. Am I being too naive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information