Hurricane Ida

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It is worse. I am reading the Twitter feed out of Port Fourchon. They supply 20% of the oil and gas to the US and service 90% of the off shore drilling platforms. The feeds I am reading are hinting at total devastation.

Right now all the attention is being diverted to life and limb across LA as it should be. Once Ida passes, the impact of what is happening at that port will become the big story as it will affect a good part of the US.
Well, there is absolutely nothing that can be done now. That is what the oil and gas reserves are for. Hopefully, we have some left. That being said, I'm filling my car today. Thanks for the heads up.

skatingguy

decently
Hurricane Ida will come ashore near Grande Isle, LA around 1-3pm as a cat 4 hurricane. It will move north-northwest to Morganza by daybreak on Monday. Rainfall along the track will be in the 10-20” range. Later in the week it will bring intense flooding into the Tennessee Valley, mid Atlantic states and southern New England.
I was wondering about the impact on the parts of Tennessee that saw considerable flooding a few weeks ago. Do we know what the risks of flash flooding will be for that area.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
A gust to 153 mph was measured by a ship docked at Port Fourchon. Apparently there are a lot of tank farms there and the risk of oil spills is pretty high.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
My high school friend in Orleans area is posting updates about every 30 minutes. She says her lawn furniture in her sun room is being blown around, but the dogs tennis ball toys seem to be staying put.

She also says there are people watching near Lake Pontchartrain. Like why, how stupid, do they think they would be able to evacuate if the levee breaks or water flows out?

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
The hurricane is loosing strength very,very slowly since it is still over basically swamplands. Looks like it will remain a hurricane all the way to the Louisiana/Mississippi border and it is slowing down as well so it will be a very rough night.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
My friend's gate and fence went down. I think she previously said the gate weighed 80 pounds

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
They must have learned from Katrina. According to the Entergy outage map for Louisiana, most of the power in southeastern Louisiana is without power, however, Port Fourchon has power And is an island unto itself.

After Katrina, the port was without power for 5 days, resulting in no oil and gas being shipped which resulted in price surges and shortages across the eastern US. Entergy was my client during Katrina and they were under extreme pressure to get the power back to Port Fourchon. The big issue was there was little fuel for all the power company vehicles coming to Louisiana after Katrina to help in the recovery effort.

The good news if the port hasn’t been severely damaged, we have at least avoided fuel interruption, which with all the other stuff going on, is one thing we don’t need. Fuel is going to sorely needed by all those folks who are going to return to Louisiana from other states and all the power companies from around the country that will come to the region and help in the restoration.

ballettmaus

The hurricane is loosing strength very,very slowly since it is still over basically swamplands. Looks like it will remain a hurricane all the way to the Louisiana/Mississippi border and it is slowing down as well so it will be a very rough night.
It looks like it was a Cat 4 for 4 hours after landfall :eek:

Those in its paths have had winds of 100+ mph for hours. Insanity.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Now they are saying it is Cat 2 at landfall. The pictures look awful though. Heavy rain, and it looks like mist because of the strong winds.

ballettmaus

Now they are saying it is Cat 2 at landfall. The pictures look awful though. Heavy rain, and it looks like mist because of the strong winds.
It was Cat 4 at landfall around 1 p.m. central time. It was Cat 3 as it closed in on New Orleans and might have already been a 2 when it passed New Orleans just recently.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
The ship at Port Fourchon which reported the gust of 153 mph yesterday, sent a picture of their display to the NWS office in New Orleans At maximum intensity. I saved the picture. It reads winds 149 mph sustained, gusts to 172 mph. I have no idea what they are going to find down there at first light….

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I found out yesterday that two of my cousins and their families stayed in Houma and were going to ride out the storm. I kept up with them on their FB pages, and their last posts were yesterday morning.

I don't know what they were thinking, and they had plenty of time the day before to evacuate. They could have stayed with my cousin that lives in Winnfield or even with me. My cousin in Winnfield did everything he could to convince them to leave and stay with him, but they insisted that they were going to wait out this storm.

I've seen on the news all the horrific damage which included destroyed homes. I'm asking for prayers for them because I don't know if they're alive or dead. There's no way to contact them because of all the power lines being down. I'm pretty upset at the moment because they had vehicles they could have left in ... they had a way to leave.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I found out yesterday that two of my cousins and their families stayed in Houma and were going to ride out the storm. I kept up with them on their FB pages, and their last posts were yesterday morning.

I don't know what they were thinking, and they had plenty of time the day before to evacuate. They could have stayed with my cousin that lives in Winnfield or even with me. My cousin in Winnfield did everything he could to convince them to leave and stay with him, but they insisted that they were going to wait out this storm.

I've seen on the news all the horrific damage which included destroyed homes. I'm asking for prayers for them because I don't know if they're alive or dead. There's no way to contact them because of all the power lines being down. I'm pretty upset at the moment because they had vehicles they could have left in ... they had a way to leave.
(((Angie)))
Let us hope for the best- their safety.

Simone411

(((Angie)))
Let us hope for the best- their safety.
Thanks, Vash. There's still no word. My other cousin that lives in Livingston, TX had posted on their FB page and in our family group pages yesterday. She had also told them not to stay in Houma. She told them they could stay with them in Livingston and they had plenty of room.

Several of my other cousins told and begged them not to stay. We're all upset because they wanted to wait it out. My brother even told them that they could stay with him on our farm off of Hwy 509. There was no reason that they had to stay.

Whenever I find out if they're okay or not, I'll let everyone know. All our family can do is wait. :shuffle:

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
The news out of Port Fourchon is not good, not good at all. The devastation seems to be complete with many buildings gone and the dock area in complete shambles. Many tweets stating that gas prices will begin to soar once the extent of the devastation is assessed and the pictures hit the media, telling the public in general what the implication of the destruction of Port Fourchon means to US oil and gas supplies.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was without cell service since last night until a few minutes ago. Parts of my parents’ fence came down but no other damage. My house that is under contract for sale just had a couple of minor things. Going to check on my new apartment Wednesday and hoping it made it through just as well. Lots of roof damage in the small area I drove through this morning to check on my house. The winds were very very bad for almost six hours yesterday.

The power could be out for weeks. Thank God my parents have a generator and I can stay here. I’m just worried about being able to get gas, food and other essentials. Stores were already short staffed because of YKW. It’s going to be even more of a mess now.

skatfan

I was without cell service since last night until a few minutes ago. Parts of my parents’ fence came down but no other damage. My house that is under contract for sale just had a couple of minor things. Going to check on my new apartment Wednesday and hoping it made it through just as well. Lots of roof damage in the small area I drove through this morning to check on my house. The winds were very very bad for almost six hours yesterday.

The power could be out for weeks. Thank God my parents have a generator and I can stay here. I’m just worried about being able to get gas, food and other essentials. Stores were already short staffed because of YKW. It’s going to be even more of a mess now.
So glad you are safe. Hope you can get what you need.

Lacey

Wow @TanithandBenFan, you are right in it. I am glad if you seem to be with your parents, I would not want to be alone, and thank heavens they have a generator. I would worry about food first, then gas, omg, what a MESS, actually I wouldn't know what to do, but it sounds as if you have a good head. The TV News is unbelievable!

Simone411

I found this website with several photos of the damage in Houma caused by Ida. I've been looking through them to see if I recognized my cousin's home. No luck so far. So many buildings and neighborhoods are damaged that I can't tell what neighborhood it is.

The thing is that my cousins were aware that the eye of the hurricane was coming toward them and Morgan City. Sorry. I'm just sick and upset right now. :(

Catherine M

Just a quick update. I’ve heard from a neighbor that I have extensive roof damage and lost my water heater shed in my backyard. Need to get a blue tarp on the roof soon so hoping to do a 24 hour trip Thursday/Friday and then return to Houston until power/water is restored. I’m very blessed with my family here who are taking care of me and making sure my spirits stay positive.

I’m worried about a close friend who is stuck in an apartment on the north shore with her 87 year old mother with no water/power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information