Hurricane Ida

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
My stepsister lives at the top of the hill that is the Manayunk neighborhood in Philly; she’s ok but lower down towards the river it is catastrophic. I’ve never seen the Schuykill river flood like that in my whole life and I was born in ‘56. A friend in Brooklyn is staying with friends after being flooded and her apt is up a flight of stairs in a brownstone!

Nobody predicted this kind of damage here.
How badly did the Schuylkill River flood?!?! Were homes flooded? Isn't Manayunk near East Falls? Like five minutes away? I was born and lived on Henry Avenue the first years of my life (Feltonville, the family pride and joy, is much further east down Roosevelt where my forefathers once thought they were a big deal. LOL). @Louis, aren't you from Manayunk? Or am I misremembering.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
How badly did the Schuylkill River flood?!?! Were homes flooded? Isn't Manayunk near East Falls? Like five minutes away? I was born and lived on Henry Avenue the first years of my life (Feltonville, the family pride and joy, is much further east down Roosevelt where my forefathers once thought they were a big deal. LOL). @Louis, aren't you from Manayunk? Or am I misremembering.

I no longer live or work in the land of my ancestors (always thought it was a shame I never lived on Henry avenue ;) ) and I'm a Southwest Philly gal, but the view from 70 miles north....

1) Biggest surprise: Vine Street Expressway flooded. Completely. Underwater.:eek: 8th St. ramp which I drove every day to work. Underwater.

2) Main St. completely underwater. No real surprise it flooded, but completely underwater. Looked bad.

3) Green St. bridge off the Schuylkill. Water pretty much lapping the underside.

The photos were impressive.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I no longer live or work in the land of my ancestors (always thought it was a shame I never lived on Henry avenue ;) ) and I'm a Southwest Philly gal, but the view from 70 miles north....

1) Biggest surprise: Vine Street Expressway flooded. Completely. Underwater.:eek: 8th St. ramp which I drove every day to work. Underwater.

2) Main St. completely underwater. No real surprise it flooded, but completely underwater. Looked bad.

3) Green St. bridge off the Schuylkill. Water pretty much lapping the underside.

That’s what I saw/heard. Stepsister in Roxborough described downhill as impassable. I am pretty sure Louis is from South Philly. I’m a Mt Airy girl myself.

annie720

That’s what I saw/heard. Stepsister in Roxborough described downhill as impassable. I am pretty sure Louis is from South Philly. I’m a Mt Airy girl myself.
My daughter lives a few blocks up the hill in Manayunk. She walked down to Main St after work that first day and said there were places/bars in the middle section that were open, but not at the ends. She works in Mt Airy so had no problem commuting.

Catherine M

I'm finally back home and have met with my adjuster today. On the way to getting my little house fixed. No hot water nor washer machine but the plumber is coming tomorrow to fix things so only will have to take cold showers for a few days. We did some tree removal today but will need a professional to get the large branches hauled away. I was really, really, really lucky that one huge branch fell away from my house as I could be facing a total gut redo and I'm not sure I would be up to that.

Leaving my "important" box of stuff packed up as we have quite a few weeks to go in Hurricane season.

Taso

Holy cow, I really didn't know...I grew up in Delco (Brookhaven :blah:) and lived in S. Philly for 3 years when I was finishing my undergrad and working for Fairmount Park and catering. My parents now live in Wilmington and somehow they got just normal rain :huh:. I'm down in Western North Carolina for a decade now myself

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Holy cow, I really didn't know...I grew up in Delco (Brookhaven :blah:) and lived in S. Philly for 3 years when I was finishing my undergrad and working for Fairmount Park and catering. My parents now live in Wilmington and somehow they got just normal rain :huh:. I'm down in Western North Carolina for a decade now myself

Well, I started in SW Philly but graduated from Ridley HS. Ridley girl, SW Philly girl, same difference :)

Obviously not at all comparable with our friends in the Gulf, but for Philadelphia? My brother in Bucks County told me he turned off his phone because of all the tornado warnings. Hey, some things about Ridley people don't change:D

D

Deleted member 221

Stereotype :p. I grew up in Roxborough, which didn't seem to get hit very hard according to my dad (who had no flooding at all, despite often getting flooded). Parts of Manayunk look terrible, though.

One positive of Ida that it seems to have washed away all of NYC's rats. Seriously!

Taso

Well, I started in SW Philly but graduated from Ridley HS. Ridley girl, SW Philly girl, same difference :)

Obviously not at all comparable with our friends in the Gulf, but for Philadelphia? My brother in Bucks County told me he turned off his phone because of all the tornado warnings. Hey, some things about Ridley people don't change:D
Hahaha I lived in Ridley 2006-2007 actually :lol: Sounds about right....went to Sun Valley myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information