Harvey Weinstein megaproducer and executive ousted over sexual harassment

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I am a little confused about the end of your post. But you are correct that men must change, and need to be held to account. Hence my comment about the women who just let it slide. I am not blaming them for what happened with a yucky, disgusting man, only for them not handling it, and keeping silent.

Women are not weak and simpering. We are tough cookies who have the ability to bring these scumbags down.

You're a pig.

You know what happened the first time I had a customer start screaming at me at work? A male customer? Screaming and screaming with aggression? I didn't snap back. I didn't lash out at him.

I shut down.

My brain froze, my limbs froze, everything froze, and it was all I could do to type "HELP" into our work chatbox. My voice wouldn't work. My mind wouldn't work. Every bit of training we'd had about how to handle abusive callers did not help (and we got a lot of training on that). Every scenario and discussion about how to deal with that sort of behaviour did not help. I was frozen and unresponsive and if he had been there in person, and not just over the phone, I have no doubt that he could have laid hands on me without my being able to do a thing about it. I could not do anything until one of my bosses came and laid her hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear to get rid of him, to end the call or send it to a senior. And then I started crying, and crying, and crying.

Now I got lucky that day. I was in a highly supportive work environment where immediately I had people around me, hugging me, picking me up from my chair. Taking me to a quiet room and just letting me babble about what had just happened. Offering me tea and comfort and support. To have our director come and look me in the eye and tell me they will never judge me for hanging up on a customer, that in such a situation they will always, always have my back.

But now:

Now put me into a situation where an executive is physically harassing, and knowing he has a clause that says he can't be fired for it. Now put me into a situation where he can actually lay hands on me, and if I tell anyone, it'll be that I asked for it, that I should have known better. Where going to the bosses will do exactly nothing to help. Where no-one will believe you because he's such a powerful man.

Situations where worthless pieces of shit like you would then tell me, "SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT SAYING ANYTHING!"

I always thought the idea of a misogynitic woman was exaggerated - until I read your posts. I'll never understand how a woman can hate other women as much as you do.

BittyBug

Disgusted
They weren't powerful when these incidents happened. They were at the beginning of their careers and vulnerable. This includes Jolie. They were in a system where this sort of behavior was known and common. Maybe the others who did this weren't as vindictive or violent as Weinstein but the exploitation and implying that, if you don't go along with it, your career will be over, was there.
Jolie is the daughter of John Voight, so while she may have been a naif at the time of her victimization, she certainly had a powerful father with powerful friends. Same for Paltrow, Sorvino, Arquette, etc. Hollywood is dynastic and Weinstein is not the only heinous predator, hence the term "casting couch," so why has Hollywood as a whole tolerated this behavior for so long? I think that's @AxelAnnie's point - so many people seem to have known yet remained silent, and that silence allowed such behavior to continue. Pointing that out in no way excuses Weinstein's behavior or diminishes the damage he caused, nor does it blame the victim, but rather calls out a culture that in some weird way until now seems to accept sexual harassment as part of the game.

VGThuy

I'd agree with that if AxelAnnie wasn't explicitly blaming the victims and individually calling them out. I have a feeling it's more about the perceived politics of the women and maybe personal feelings about them. Coming from a powerful family or not, a person can still feel weak, vulnerable, ashamed, humiliated, responsible, unsure, and ultimately just want to forget it happened to them. There's a whole lot to unpack as to why someone wouldn't come out even while still fighting for women's rights and trying to empower women. Not everyone knows how to deal with individual hurt.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am a little confused about the end of your post. But you are correct that men must change, and need to be held to account. Hence my comment about the women who just let it slide. I am not blaming them for what happened with a yucky, disgusting man, only for them not handling it, and keeping silent.

Women are not weak and simpering. We are tough cookies who have the ability to bring these scumbags down.
I saw a typo when you reposted my post :)

What I do mean is that people shouldn't behave that way in the first place and it shouldn't be dependent on others telling them their behaviour is wrong for them to actually change. I do understand that is more difficult than it sounds. But Weinstein as a leader of a company should have known better in the first place.

I also don't think that we need to hold those who were subjected to his behaviour accountable and that they should have brought his behaviour to light. There are other people who enabled this behaviour directly. They are the ones, including those at the company, who should have taken more responsibility to prevent his actions. In fact that is the basic tenants of company health and safety they should prevent any risk. That includes psychological harm too.

Tinami Amori

You're a pig.
--------
Situations where worthless pieces of shit like you would then tell me, "SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT SAYING ANYTHING!".

You are a vile-mouthed coward, who is obviously more brave on a virtual forum than in real life. it's very brave of you to bully and insult a poster who is in minority by using insults instead of arguments. given you style of communicating with those you disagree, i doubt you can stand up to any executive or a customer in a calm and reasonable manner, because a slightest discomfort throws you into a frenzy of rudeness, which is usually not tolerated in a work place.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
You are a vile-mouthed coward, who is obviously more brave on a virtual forum than in real life. it's very brave of you to bully and insult a poster who is in minority by using insults instead of arguments. given you style of communicating with those you disagree, i doubt you can stand up to any executive or a customer in a calm and reasonable manner, because a slightest discomfort throws you into a frenzy of rudeness, which is usually not tolerated in a work place.

Oh please. Says the person who's such a coward they can't go anywhere without a gun, who justifies sexual assault because you don't want to admit that Trump's done it, and who makes up wild conspiracy theories about shooters' motivations because you're so bigoted that you want to be rooted in Islam so you can continue being racist, but also shuts down the conversation about gun control because you're so afraid of your precious guns being taken away.

Yeah, I'm not the coward here.

Tinami Amori

Oh please. Says the person who's such a coward they can't go anywhere without a gun, who justifies sexual assault because you don't want to admit that Trump's done it, and who makes up wild conspiracy theories about shooters' motivations because you're so bigoted that you want to be rooted in Islam so you can continue being racist, but also shuts down the conversation about gun control because you're so afraid of your precious guns being taken away.

Yeah, I'm not the coward here.

Like i said, many "Liberals" are only "liberal" on the issues which only concerns them. But "hypocrite" is not new to the world.

Fan123

This whole tragedy is like the Jerry Sandusky case. Lots of cover up; I suspect many big wigs will be taken down: Weinstein company, NBC, etc.

snoopy

Jolie is the daughter of John Voight, so while she may have been a naif at the time of her victimization, she certainly had a powerful father with powerful friends. Same for Paltrow, Sorvino, Arquette, etc. Hollywood is dynastic and Weinstein is not the only heinous predator, hence the term "casting couch," so why has Hollywood as a whole tolerated this behavior for so long? I think that's @AxelAnnie's point - so many people seem to have known yet remained silent, and that silence allowed such behavior to continue. Pointing that out in no way excuses Weinstein's behavior or diminishes the damage he caused, nor does it blame the victim, but rather calls out a culture that in some weird way until now seems to accept sexual harassment as part of the game.

Jolie did speak out, she warned others in the industry. And victims SUED Weinstein's company. To the point where his company said he had to pay them back for future lawsuits. It was in his employment contract. That is another form of speaking out. And that is on the BOD - not the victims - for not kicking him out upon the first lawsuit. These thing might not have made the front page where *we* heard about it but that doesn't mean people weren't speaking out.

Last edited:

mrinalini

Now it turns out he went after Eva Green in addition to a 17-year-old Kate Beckinsale. Oh, and he got his junk out and ejaculated onto a carpet in front of Angie Everhart, too. It seems like this "BIG PIG" (as Green's mother called him) preyed on every single pretty young thing to arise out of the firmament.

The thought that he'll be able to get away with all of this with nothing more than a rehab stay in Arizona sickens me. His daughter supposedly said he's suicidal - do the world a favour, Harvey, and act on those feelings!

genegri

Now I wonder what power struggles went behind the scenes that led to this particular ousting. And I hope people are not naive enough to believe it will make an iota of difference.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Now I wonder what power struggles went behind the scenes that led to this particular ousting. And I hope people are not naive enough to believe it will make an iota of difference.

There have been suggestions that Weinstein's brother Bob (who is on the board of the company) decided it was time for him (Bob) to take over - especially as the company hasn't been doing as well financially as it once did - and leaking this information was a relatively easy way to get rid of Harvey.

It seems that the rehab that Harvey has gone to is a rehab for sex addicts. I don't know if there's such a thing as "power addicts' rehab" but that would seem to be more appropriate. The issue is his abuse of power. His sexual behaviour wasn't all about getting his rocks off - it was also a way for him to exert control over his company and the industry.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It's a start!

Is it? Not to be cynical, but they ejected Harvey Weinstein while Roman Polanski gets standing Os?

It's not unheard of for any group that is being called out on an endemic problem to sacrifice one of their own in the name of eliminating some form of corruption while nothing really changes. It's not like Hollywood hasn't been called out for this behavior before and clutched pearls and.......nothing. Weinstein has been known for his abuses for years and no one called him out on it until he wasn't making the big money any more.

Paul had it right--the love of money is the root of all evil.

snoopy

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Just in case Prancer wasn't Admin when I posted it this morning

:confused: Unless and until SHARPIE gives in to temptation and fires me, I'm always an admin. All of the admins are. There is a generic Admin account, but we use it for messages and that's about it.

But anyway, yes, I saw it the first time.

You will notice I put bimbo eruptions in quotation marks, snoopy.

But you chose to post it, so you must consider it somehow meaningful and a contribution to the discussion.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Do you know what he is referring to? It is a political remark and not a sexist remark.
He is referencing the fact that she had to spend a lot of time cleaning up her husband's infidelities.

Sylvia

TBD
Emma Thompson: Harvey Weinstein is not a sex addict – he’s a predator
The star alleges that a "conspiracy of silence" in Hollywood has made matters worse: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-10-13/emma-thompson-newsnight-harvey-weinstein/
“This has been part of our world – women’s world – since time immemorial,” Thompson added.
When Maitlis asked her why producers and agents had not intervened, Thompson said, “That’s a conspiracy of silence. I think there are probably about a million missed opportunities to call this man out.”
She also rallied for change: “We can’t allow this to continue because what it means is that naturally vulnerable people are going to continue to be preyed upon.”

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Do you know what he is referring to? It is a political remark and not a sexist remark.
He is referencing the fact that she had to spend a lot of time cleaning up her husband's infidelities.

What Hillary Clinton had or didn't have to do with her husband has exactly zero to do with the fact that Harvey Weinstein is a serial sexual harasser/abuser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information