Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

You guys are right. Simone is an anomaly because she is the only gymnast who is doing these insane skills and has high difficulty on all four events AND is able to do them with great execution. Usually gymnasts who try hard difficulty only do it on one or two events and they may not have the execution Simone has. With the open-ended scoring system I guess it makes sense that someone of Simone's insane skill level CAN be that far ahead to where she can win with multiple falls because nobody else is matching Simone's overall D and E scores. So even if there was more depth in gymnastics overall, it wouldn't mean they could reach Simone's level. I just with there was more depth in the team event, even absent Simone.

ilovepaydays

Add me in as another who is thrilled that Mai and Morgan also medalled today! :cheer2:

———————————

No one in women’s can compete with America. There is no competition. It’s that gold is impossible for anyone but Americans in women! Non American women’s gymnastics is dead compared to Americans.

*cough* Nina Derwael (Belgium) on bars *cough* If she’s clean tomorrow, Simone can’t touch her.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Mustafina in 2010 and 2011 before her knee injury was dominating like Simone is doing right now

Vanessa Ferrari won with a fall back in 2006 but hey the level of gymnastics field that year was soooooo low

nimi

Simone interview: https://youtu.be/bs31Y7XoDQI

"It's kind of crazy I know, but I wish things didn't turn out the way it did. I feel like the girls worked so hard and I feel like they deserved it a little more than me because it depends on how good you do that day and today that wasn't me." (link for this bit of transcription)

She's looking forward to finals for a chance to redeem herself and says she's intimidated by Nina's UB skills.

Well... I guess you have to be really hard on yourself to become that good.

D

Deleted member 74551

I think Morgan might’ve perhaps deserved second overall but I am thrilled for Mai, especially after the heartbreak of last year.

I’m not a fan of gymnasts winning or medalling in AA competition with falls, but Simone’s so much better than everyone what can you do? No COP amendments would change how far ahead of the field she is.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Simone is just in a different stratosphere. I hope event finals are a bit easier for her, since it's only 2 routines per day rather than 4.

bardtoob

I saw Simone's position after both the 3rd rotation and Mai had completed the 4th and knew Simone would eek it out. Simone's floor D score made it possible, but it was the improvement in bars that added margin for error.

However, the results show Morgan is no fluke but the silver and bronze is competitive. I am thrilled with the performance of the top 6+.

3T3T

Two exciting AA’s competitions. Glad for the Russian guys to get two medals, their vaulting and tumbling on floor is spectacular. I was surprised to hear that Oleg Verniaiev has never won a worlds AA medal, I hope he gets one in the future. I was impressed with Davtyan, called up as a reserve and places top 10.

I was shocked by the ladies AA. It was the expected result but not the performance I expected. I know Simone has been ill but I thought both US girls looked under pressure today, I always felt they were immune to that. I was glad for Muarakami to medal and I enjoyed Morgan Hurd’s performances more than last year. I find Melnikova a very classy gymnast, she could have medaled here but threw it away.

With her errors Biles still had a big winning margin but there was a big battle for silver and bronze with 2nd through 6th very close. Has there actually being any Qataris at this event? The audience has been so small.

Braulio

With her errors Biles still had a big winning margin but there was a big battle for silver and bronze with 2nd through 6th very close. Has there actually being any Qataris at this event? The audience has been so small.

Yes there were some qatari gymnast but did not qualified to the finals

Anyway the audience has been so small, I think that in fact today's all around had the most people thus far

caseyedwards

This competition = a skater attempting 6 quads and landing 4 when everyone else landed 4 triples lol
Yes and this has been the case for years now!! When Jin had all the quads you then got a chen! Then hanyu added more quads and then you have uno! Where are the Chen’s and unos and already established talents adding difficulty! Why are No women trying to even compete with her!! It’s not right!

ilovepaydays

Artur’s and Kenzo’s floor skills are on another planet.

CARLOS YULO! 🇵🇭 :cheer2: That was fun to watch!

Yul did as well as he could but he ended up 4th. If he could have been able to do more difficulty, he would have medalled. I really hope that he takes the time he needs to heal up.

D

Deleted member 74551

FIG really need to reconsider that rule about no one-touch warmups in event finals

Erin

Banned Member
Wow, very exciting for the first ever medal for Mexico in women's gymnastics on vault! I probably would have had Moreno in second, as Olsen's first vault was so fugly, although I guess her D score and her very nice second vault made up for it. Pleased for Canada to get a medal too (only their third ever in WAG). Nice to see some outside countries get medals in WAG.

Wish there was one more medal available for Chuso!

Kelvster

Oh I wanna watch! The qatar tv is not showing gymnastics however ... would appreciate a link (if you have one)

Braulio

I am soooo happy for Alexa Moreno! she wins the bronze and was 0.008 from the silver! First medal ever for a mexican gymnast on the women's side.

This feels extra special given that bullying she received over social media back in 2016 when she competed at the Rio Games and many silly people over on facebook called her 'fat' and made many sad comments to her

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
The all-around result is an incredible indictment of the open-ended scoring system. Biles definitely did the hardest gymnastics. She also had two major errors. Not the best all-around performance, D-score be damned. :lynch:

Nice to see her rebound so well in the vault finals. Impressed by the South Korean, too. She could be a vault player in the future.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I am soooo happy for Alexa Moreno! she wins the bronze and was 0.008 from the silver! First medal ever for a mexican gymnast on the women's side.

This feels extra special given that bullying she received over social media back in 2016 when she competed at the Rio Games and many silly people over on facebook called her 'fat' and made many sad comments to her
That's so sad. She may not be tiny, but she's gorgeous and clearly a great athlete. Hope to continue seeing her in the future!

ilovepaydays

I would have given Moreno the silver. I understand that Olsen’s first vault was a 6.0 D, but it was too ugly.

—————————

Men’s pommel horse final is going on right now. It’s like the gymnastics universe is dying to give Sam Mikulak an individual world medal. But he hasn’t gone yet...........

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Someone finally didn't screw up that bad on pommels wow

mjb52

I have a crush on Artur Dalaloyan. That is all I came to share.

I'm still finding MAG so much more entertaining than WAG.

This quote from him about his rebellious years is so funny: ""I did not do things the way professional athletes should do," Dalaloyan recalled earlier this year. "When you are 18 or 19 years old, it is difficult to lock yourself in the gym and only train. I wanted to have fun, dance with girls, go for walks, and much more."

I love the inclusion of "go for walks" in the list of rebellious items.

He and Nagorny are really adorable, their photo where Nagorny kisses Artur's gold medal is very cute.

ilovepaydays

I’m starting to hate tie-breaks more than I do wolf turns. Just give the two (or more) gymnasts the same medal.

It is possible for two or more people to be equally good or bad at something, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information