Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramagrrl

I think people are speculating that with Jordan's recent performances that she's closing in on a lock for the team.
Ah. I wouldn't say that, personally. I don't think anyone is close to a lock except Simone.

As for Jade ending up on the team and USA basically having to forfeit a spot, I think USAG will do whatever it takes to make sure she doesn't end up second at Nationals/Trials, and then once it goes to selection committee, I think she would have no chance.

skipaway

Ah. I wouldn't say that, personally. I don't think anyone is close to a lock except Simone.

As for Jade ending up on the team and USA basically having to forfeit a spot, I think USAG will do whatever it takes to make sure she doesn't end up second at Nationals/Trials, and then once it goes to selection committee, I think she would have no chance.
So are you saying, that there would be collusion with the judging panel and USAG when Jade competes her routines. Her scores would be low-balled by the judges so she wouldn’t finish 2nd?

OlieRow

So are you saying, that there would be collusion with the judging panel and USAG when Jade competes her routines. Her scores would be low-balled by the judges so she wouldn’t finish 2nd?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen if she were having the meet of her life and/or others were faltering and it looked like it she could finish top 2 in Nationals/Trials AA standings. Perhaps judges would be told to take appropriate deductions and avoid nationals/trials score inflation.

Not saying she was perfect (or remotely close) but Marta would've never let this happen. She would've known the rules forwards and backwards and wouldn't have been caught off guard with he implications to the selection process as it seems like the current leadership (lack of?) has been.

Rob

Beach Bum
USA Gymnastics has committed to putting the top 2 at Nationals/Trial on the team. Simone of course and last year, I would have thought Suni, but so far it is Jordan who has shown the consistency. So everyone else is competing for 2 spots on the team plus the third non team spot. If Suni does not make a case for the team, I think she’d have a shot at the non Team spot since she’s a potential UB medalist and could be an alternate if someone is hurt before competition begins.
Last year I would have thought Simone, Suni, Grace, and Morgan (who looked good at AmCup) but now I’m leaning toward Simone, Jordan, Kayla DiCello and maybe Suni.

dramagrrl

Yes. This is what I was saying. I think that she has enough form issues (though she has improved a lot in that area) that they could lowball her execution scores quite a bit and not make it seem like blatant manipulation.

skipaway

Yes. This is what I was saying. I think that she has enough form issues (though she has improved a lot in that area) that they could lowball her execution scores quite a bit and not make it seem like blatant manipulation.
Except to those who are watching for it.

millyskate

Isn't that the way it's always worked? I'm not a hardcore gym fan but I can't remember when the Olympics AA didn't limit it to the top 2 athletes from each country after
I'm confused. Are you saying that after Qualifications, if Jade and 2 other Americans end up top 24 that one will get bumped?
No sorry that’s not what I meant. I meant she can compete AA in qualifying but if she finishes ahead of one of the top two US team members, The US will have to ask one of the three to sit out the AA.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I liked the look of Simone and Jordan they look to be ready. I’m really not sure on the rest, I’m not a fan of Skinner. I’m just excited to see gymnastics again.

centerstage01

If Shilese Jones could put it all together, I think she would be amazing. Just the little we saw of her was impressive, even with the mistakes.

I love Laurie Hernandez, but I just don’t think she’s got a snowball’s chance of going anywhere. Maybe she’ll prove me wrong. MyKayla Skinner’s gymnastics is still as bleh as I remember. She can throw the big tricks but they’re ugly. Aly Raisman she is not.

As for Simone—I swear gravity takes a seat when she competes. I’ve never seen anything like it. I feel lucky to just be able to watch her do what she does.

Jayar

Personally I think that Skinner has a really good shot at the 6th spot. She could medal on vault in Tokyo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Well US has 3 vault medal contendors in Biles, Carey, and Chiles. Only 2 can do Event Final. A 4th vault medal contendor would be insane to send (unless both Jade and Jordan imploded in the near future)

The person/people who wins Bars at Nationals and Trials should be the 6th person if they aren't already on the team.

mattiecat13

Even Simone looked rough Saturday and I thought Jordan looked the most steady. I’m starting to think Suni, as much as I like her gymnastics, is a headcase. I think Morgan has a shot and I was so hoping for Riley after all she’s been through. Any word on her foot/ankle injury?

OlieRow

The person/people who wins Bars at Nationals and Trials should be the 6th person if they aren't already on the team.

Agreed, although I think they'll probably end up on the 4 person team. Going through and watching all the videos from this weekend and looking at scores, I think DiCello has a legitimate shot as she's an AAer that can swing bars. Hopefully McCusker's injury isn't too severe and she's able to stay in the mix because that could be a spot for her too.

Is she vaulting with two hands at least now?

I'm not the greatest judge but I think she is this year.

FiveRinger

Even Simone looked rough Saturday and I thought Jordan looked the most steady. I’m starting to think Suni, as much as I like her gymnastics, is a headcase. I think Morgan has a shot and I was so hoping for Riley after all she’s been through. Any word on her foot/ankle injury?
You might be right about Suni. But to be fair, everyone is rusty. It’s been a long time since anyone has competed. I am pulling for Morgan. If she can swing bars (she did just have several elbow surgeries) I would give it to her.

Skinner’s gymnastics has always been wretched. But, thinking about it, she might have gotten to the Olympics if she went the route Jade did. Team USA is so deep that I don’t think she ever really had a chance.

Simone fell twice yesterday and still won by a point and a half. I can‘t say more than what’s been said. She’s the best.

beckab81

I'm a casual watch every four years at the Olympics gymnastics fan, but I watched the US Classic last night and I was struck by how dreadfully similar the commentary is to skating commentary (and I don't think Terri Gannon is the cause). Also, when did gymnastics get so ugly? I feel like people who complain about Trusova just stalking quads, but the difficulty level is such that it seems to leave little time for the held positions and beautiful transitions of yore. Wolf turns seem to be the equivalent of Bielmanns (usually poorly done and ugly) and the floor excercises lack any type of choreography or relationship to the music.

And everyone was falling all over the place (those belly flops off the bars looks painful :yikes: ). Are the athletes just not ready yet because of YKW, or is the sport in a phase similar to the Chan years where most everyone was splatting on quads?
Classics is only the 2nd meet of the season, think of it like Autumn Classic in FS, with athletes using it as a warm up. Totally agree with you about the commentary and the wolf turns!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I've attended the US Classic twice (2018, 2019) and there were definitel some rough moments for the girls as they were working out all the kinks on their routines before US Nats. I expected things to be even rougher this year since most of the girls haven't competed in a VERY long time and now they have the added pressure of it being an Olympic year and prepping for both US Nats and Olympic Trials. Honestly, I would rather them look rougher here than at US Nats or Trials! :eek:

barbk

No sorry that’s not what I meant. I meant she can compete AA in qualifying but if she finishes ahead of one of the top two US team members, The US will have to ask one of the three to sit out the AA.
Is it an ask or is it just that the #3 by score is auto dropped?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The federations are allowed to
choose which of their qualified gymnasts get to compete in the final. The FIG implemented this following some forced withdrawals with fake injury claims.
That seems much fairer all around. Theoretically, it gives all federations the opportunity to put their best medal hopes up in not just the AA but also the individual events, should they have more than 2 qualifiers, rather than playing games by forcing withdrawals with fake injury claims.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top US Scores in 2021 (using US Classic, March camp, Winter Cup, American Classic)
*Only those scoring over 52.0 in AA are listed

Simone Biles 58.4
Jordan Chiles 57.1
Kayla DiCello 56.1
Skye Blakely 55.3
Grace McCallum 55.1
Leanne Wong 55.1
Shilese Jones 55.1
Olivia Greaves 54.6
Aleah Finnegan 54.1
Emily Lee 53.9
Ciena Alipio 53.4
Kara Eaker 53.2
Laura Lippeatt 53.2
Karis German 53.2
Mykayla Skinner 53.0
Addison Fatta 52.9
Amari Drayton 52.9
Ava Siegfeldt 52.7
Kaylen Morgan 52.6
Zoe Miller 52.5
Faith Torrez 52.5
Elle Mueller 52.1
Sydney Barros 52.0

3 Events
Sunisa Lee- 42.7
Jade Carey- 41.9
Riley McCusker- 41.3
Konnor McClain- 40.0
Emma Malabuyo- 38.9

2 Events
Sunisa Lee- 29.3
Konnor McClain- 28.7
Emma Malabuyo- 27.0
Jade Carey- 26.5
Morgan Hurd- 26.1
Laurie Hernandez- 26.0 (scored 51.8 AA at camp)
Chellsie Memmel- 25.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information