Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Jenna Bush Hager just announced on Hoda and Jenna that Nationals will be televised on NBC, June 6th. Not all the details but at least a network. Could Peacock be following shortly?
My TiVo is showing the following:
  • Thursday, 6/3 at 8 pm on NBCSN
  • Friday, 6/4 at 8 pm on NBCSN
  • Saturday, 6/5 at 8 pm on NBCSN
  • Sunday, 6/6 at 2 pm on NBC
  • Sunday, 6/6 at 7 pm on NBC

sk9tingfan

Checked my Xfinity/Comcast listings and they are the same. Thx. I checked Peacock and unless I am not searching properly, other than the US Classic, there is no other listing yet.

mjb52

I had to watch the ISU stream from a country I chose at random and no longer remember the identity of because the Peacock app which I paid for wouldn't work during at least one event this year.

muffinbiscuit

I looked at my Tivo and didn't have Gymnastics on NBCSN on the third through the 5th

Carolla5501

Does anyone else find it a little silly these girls wearing bows in their hair when they are grown adults? I could see if they were 12. So much talent in the USA women, I think will Biles will be the best gymnast historically so amazing. Yay for Chelsea Memmel, nice to follow her journey.
Does anyone find it a little silly that you thought that was worth commenting on.

it’s no sillier than a sitting here on the Internet discussing this like we know we’re experts.LOL
I'm sure someone can give a better explanation, but from what I understand, countries were originally going to be given the chance to compete for extra qualifying spots through a series of all-around World Cup events (which were different from the World Cup events Jade competed in to earn her individual spot). However, those events had to be cancelled due to *********, so they went back to results from 2019 Worlds to grant countries the extra spots - in the women's division, the United States, Russia and China each got one extra spot for the Olympics. This spot is not attached to a specific gymnast (the way Jade's earned spot can only be used by Jade and no other American gymnast).

However, where I am confused is when people upthread were talking about the U.S. gymnasts essentially competing for two spots. I understand that one spot is 99.9999% guaranteed to Simone, but shouldn't there be three team spots after that? Is there another gymnast who people are currently seeing as a lock for the team?
So I think with the commentators were saying is that based on the Olympic trials one and two are done. You finish first (a.k.a. the Simone) spot, or second you were on the team that leaves two spots for the committee to figure out who gets to be on the team.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I would rather watch these girls with their hair nicely done and out of their face than some of the college gymnasts who can't seem to get any of their hair in a proper ponytail or braid and it's flopping all over the place, LMAO :lol:

jeffisjeff

My daughter is not one to ever wear anything frilly, except on the softball field, where hair bows are, apparently, quite acceptable and possibly even required! Her team has matching bows for each of their three uniforms!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I wear hair bows and I'm 32.
lol, you forget we are FB friends.
I had no idea about the baseball @jeffisjeff are they all the bows from that dance moms kid Jojo?
I don't recall seeing them when I was at the senior meet I went to a few years back. (Canada).

Last edited:

millyskate

British Gymnastics announced their Men's squad for Tokyo (the announcement about the Women's Team has been delayed to allow Becky Downie a fair chance to compete for a spot).

Here's their press release: https://www.british-gymnastics.org/...s-artistic-gymnastics-team-for-tokyo-olympics

The team is:
Max Whitlock
Joe Fraser
James Hall
Giarnni Regini-Moran
Wow! I’m surprised about James Hall who had totally dropped off the radar this year. Whitlock, Fraser and Regini-Moran are the top 3 medal chances so no surprise there. Tulloch must be gutted.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
lol, you forget we are FB friends.
I had no idea about the baseball @jeffisjeff are they all the bows from that dance moms kid Jojo?
I don't recall seeing them when I was at the senior meet I went to a few years back. (Canada).

Okay? How often do I photograph the back of my head. I can take a picture of my hair clip collection to prove it if you need some kind of justification.

mattiecat13

Does anyone else find it a little silly these girls wearing bows in their hair when they are grown adults? I could see if they were 12. So much talent in the USA women, I think will Biles will be the best gymnast historically so amazing. Yay for Chelsea Memmel, nice to follow her journey.
Agree. I loathe the hair bows. I also hated the wrap around hair thingies the gymnasts wore in the 90s. The name escapes me right now. Why do they even have to wear stuff in their hair?

snoopyskater

I wish the gymnasts would show some of the styles in their everyday lives. I've seen some really gorgeous do's on Simone's twitter account and Chellsie's headband look from her Youtube videos would look great during her routines.

jeffisjeff

No, they are more like ribbons attached to ponytail holders. They are longer, color coordinated with the uniform, and typically have the team name, symbol and/or player's name and number on them.

FiveRinger

I wish the gymnasts would show some of the styles in their everyday lives. I've seen some really gorgeous do's on Simone's twitter account and Chellsie's headband look from her Youtube videos would look great during her routines.
As a chocolate girl, I can tell you from experience that a lot of those hairdos of Simone's take a lot of time and some maintenance. They aren't conducive to competition at all, especially if she's not doing them herself.

That's why most of the girls are wearing ponytails and things that are quick and easy. Save the other stuff for Instagram.

ETA: Hideous grammar and typos

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm going to pretend that the bows are a homage to Shannon Miller. Anyway, since the gymnasts are the ones running at high speed to launch themselves into flips and twists, vaulting over tables, swinging over bars, etc. that they know how to best do their hair for competition. It's all better than that intentional messy/just woke up from bed hair phase Alicia Sacramone got many of the gymnasts doing from like 2007-2012. Check out the difference between Nastia's hair at 2008 and her hair at 2012 Trials.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Well US has 3 vault medal contendors in Biles, Carey, and Chiles. Only 2 can do Event Final. A 4th vault medal contendor would be insane to send (unless both Jade and Jordan imploded in the near future)

The person/people who wins Bars at Nationals and Trials should be the 6th person if they aren't already on the team.
i agree with you, Bars is the one event with less contenders. Still early days though as I agree a rough outing for most, we will get a better sense at your nationals.

bardtoob

Any argument for Skinner evaporated during this last year. She is no longer steady, consistent, and less messy from competing week in and week out in college.

Jordan, most notable, but also the others from her cohort have more to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information