Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Larisa is going to Tokyo!!

I'm not sure Russia got another spot here, they already have one given the cancelation of the World AA cup series so russian gymnasts were not in contention for any of the two AA spots here.

Edited to clarify, yes Russia gets a non nominative spot

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I really hope that they get the live stream together. I was actually up at 3am to watch and the stream was so bad I turned it off and read a book. I am looking forward to the AA and event finals. I go back to regular work hours next week and this would be a real treat to see live. I might have to get a VPN and try Eurosport

bardtoob

I'm glad Larisa qualified. I hope she has a great showing at the Olympics.

She only fell on the beam because she was being very aggressive, which was much more appealing to watch than an overly cautious routine.

... Her bars need work despite the skills she was able to link together.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
I really hope that they get the live stream together. I was actually up at 3am to watch and the stream was so bad I turned it off and read a book. I am looking forward to the AA and event finals. I go back to regular work hours next week and this would be a real treat to see live. I might have to get a VPN and try Eurosport

I wouldn’t waste your efforts for the men tomorrow. They have already said that they don’t have the bandwidth so expect the same issues tomorrow. And I don’t think it’s airing on Eurosport, at least not the qualifications. So you might as well sleep in. The finals are streaming on Eurovision, but I don’t believe a VPN will be needed. Hopefully they will be better since it won’t be using the poorly named “SmartScoring” stream.

I don’t think I have ever seen Twitter so united as everyone was this morning over two things - hoping Larisa qualified and how crappy the lack of stream and results was.

millyskate

It's really unfortunate about the feed. But there's really no excuse for the results. The ISU has this actually spot on: sometimes tech gets in the way. Their results pages are as web 1.0 as you can get but they refresh instantly and work really well.
And there's no excuse for not managing to put together a youtube stream. However, I once covered a gym meet in Switzerland and they didn't even have internet in the press room :shuffle:

I'm still :fragile: that Jennifer gadirova isn't there because I think GB could have won an individual spot if she had been. A bit sad to see Amelie Morgan has not fully recovered from injury, with watered down floor, vault and beam dismount. She's such a good competitor, still made 2 EF.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
The lack of the live results page version of the ISU Icecalc for this championships is non acceptable!

They need to fix this and give us a gymnastics wedgie data!

3T3T

Another good day for the Irish in Basel 🇮🇪☘️🇮🇪☘️

Rhys Mc Clenaghan leads the way on Pommel Horse, sadly Max Whitlock fell of the PH and didn’t make the final. Adam Steele qualified for the AA in 17th (20th best but there was 3 non qualifers).

Two AA finalist plus an event finalist, not bad going. I’d imagine that’s our best performance ever. The ladies AA will be shown live on TV and the Men’s AA will be broadcast on live on the RTE player. Bar the Olympics, I doubt gymnastics has ever been shown in Ireland.

I’m really happy to see the Iordache has made the Olympics, Romanian representation is good for the Olympics. Very sad news for Arthur Dalaoyan. I really enjoy the Russian Men’s gymnastic Programme, they are very exiting to watch.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Bar the Olympics, I doubt gymnastics has ever been shown in Ireland.
Actually I think ever since Rhys has been doing well RTÉ have been showing it in some format. After winning Commonwealth and European gold in 2018, they were scheduled to show the event finals, but then Rhys ended up crashing out in qualification and not making the pommel horse final. :drama:

This is definitely Ireland’s best ever performance at a European championships.

bardtoob

My understanding is that two Romanian ladies have qualified for the Olympics. Who else besides Larisa?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Cannot believe that I am watching gymnastics live on Irish terrestrial TV.

Question: Are the chavvy messy buns compulsory now for the women? :yikes:

3T3T

The All Around has kicked off. Iordache and Steingruber are both out.

Martha Pilhan Kulesza was doing a lovely routine to vote on Floor but injured her knee on a leap and pulled up.

Elizabeth Seitz is competing in a unitard. Lovely bars routine bit a bit scrappy. Score just over 14.

Very good first vault from Melnikova.

On RTÉ, two experts in the studio and one on commentary. Never knew we had so many. The hall seems very dark.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
On RTÉ, two experts in the studio and one on commentary. Never knew we had so many.
Gymnastics Ireland has done a lot of development work for officials etc. Am guessing that a number of them might be judges. Gerry Kelly has been commentating on gymnastics at Olympics for as long as I can remember.

millyskate

The BBC has FOUR commentators including Christine and Beth Tweddle. Only one would have been needed tbh.

3T3T

That was a great effort from Emma. I really enjoyed it, she worked well with the music. 12.3 not bad.

I can remember Gerry Kelly, definitely back to Barcelona. I was never convinced he knew gymnastics that well. His pronunciation of the surnames used to be very poor.

I always enjoyed Christine and Mitch on BBC along with enthusiasm of Matt Baker. Is it red button only?

millyskate

Anyone else think that Listunova looks a young Evgenia Tarasova? She definitely reminds me of someone.

Melnikova wuzgifted on UB :shuffle:
Majorly impressed with Martins from Portugal. I'd never seen her before :cheer:

Last edited:

3T3T

Where are Nina Derwael and Melanie Dos Santos? I hope they are not injured.

I liked Verkest on beam. is there live scoring. I presume Listanova is in the lead.

Emma Slevin is in 14th after 2 rotations, I hope she keeps it up. 🍀🍀

3T3T

Melnikova is having a nightmare. So disappointing for her. Hopefully she can finish strong on floor. Could she still medal?

someone is doing a floor routine to Bella Ciao, hopefully we get to see it.

millyskate

You know you're watching eurobeam when the commentator calls round-off flic double twist " a big dismount" :rofl:

millyskate

Jessica Gadirova looks set for bronze :cheer: If only she'd been able to do that performance in qualifying :shuffle: Possibly the only circumstance where the qualifying was more important than the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information