Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

Her inconsistency in her competitive career was reflective of her turbulent life. It really kept her from reaching her full potential, sadly.
Yes. Plus, she certainly didn’t need people who turned out to be steaming piles of 💩 bashing and harassing her when she was calling them and their cohorts out.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Thanks, but I believe there is a misunderstanding. I know what a Counter-Kim is. From memory, aside from Kim Gwang-Suk, I recall Gogean, Bégué and Hategan performing one. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few gymnasts. But that wasn't the skill I was describing. I was thinking of a Tkatchev with a flip, or, if you prefer, a Counter-Kim caught on the same side of the bar than a Tkatchev (assuming the preceding giant goes in the same direction). I guess that no answer must mean that it hasn't been done yet. :)

A MAG I think from Stanford was training this several years ago. There was a video floating around. He didn’t catch the bar though but it was close. I tried to find the video when you first posed this question but could not.

Choupette

A MAG I think from Stanford was training this several years ago. There was a video floating around. He didn’t catch the bar though but it was close. I tried to find the video when you first posed this question but could not.
Oh cool, thanks for the tip! :cheer2: I just typed "Tkatchev flip" into YouTube and I may have found it. Cade Raggio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4ci3htUDQ

Sam Mikulak attempted it too back in 2011, but he wasn't as close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vw13D3c3I8

I expected it from MAG rather than WAG because I assumed a lot of amplitude was required, but I pictured it in my mind as catching the bar on the way down. Both really went for full amplitude and rotation, which makes it spectacular.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Yes that's the clip I was thinking of! You had better luck than I did and believe me I tried a lot of search terms. I remembered rightly that it was a Stanford gymnast.

Choupette

Yes that's the clip I was thinking of! You had better luck than I did and believe me I tried a lot of search terms. I remembered rightly that it was a Stanford gymnast.
Indeed, good memory! :) I believe you, in fact I can hardly believe my luck in finding those!

VGThuy

Ok, a double-double off of beam is BANANAS and I never thought was possible until Simone did it (and it was undervalued by the FIG), but a triple-double? What value are they going to give it? Barely above a 1/1 piked?

ilovepaydays

Ok, a double-double off of beam is BANANAS and I never thought was possible until Simone did it (and it was undervalued by the FIG), but a triple-double? What value are they going to give it? Barely above a 1/1 piked?

I think the real question is “Could Simone get it all the way around and land it without tearing an ACL? Or meniscus?”

FiveRinger

I think the real question is “Could Simone get it all the way around and land it without tearing an ACL? Or meniscus?”

I think so. She just started training again 2 minutes ago and she’s doing the unspeakable. There’s no telling what skills she will have added by this time next year. But is she is intending to perform this? I don’t really think it’s worth an injury.

Rob

Beach Bum
I guess she's having fun pushing herself even if she doesn't compete it because it is undervalued. The only way for FIG to let anyone get near her is to undervalue her upgrades, sux.

floskate

Vacant
I've started a new youtube channel because I didn't want to post any more gym on my skating one. This will be more oldies, most never seen on youtube before or upgrades in video quality. Starting out waaaaaaay back at the Olympics in 1960. It's great to see how much the sport has changed. Feel free to subscribe to the new channel which I've called floskate's gym....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvuEAjgDcv8J9W1OOiZtbw

1960 Olympics Men's Team Final (Partial)

Nadia Comaneci - 1980 Moscow Compulsory BB (10.00)

The Nadia one is a different angle and better quality than seen before. Interesting footage of the Karolyi's afterwards. Marta actually looks happy! Can't say Nadia does :(

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Thanks @floskate for the link to your new channel! I've been getting lost in You Tube videos and channels since this whole bug thing started and yours will be another one added to my list. :cheer:

bardtoob

Alexei Nemov looks like a more in-shape Boris Yeltsin.

Click on the link, regardless of the Instagram preview, and seem him do a standing Y balance position and two standing back tucks.

ETA: His pool party music seems funny to me because it's American 80s :D

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I'm watching Athlete A. I'm more pissed now than I was and I didn't think that was possible. Maggie's parents are implying that she did not make the team because she reported Nassar. That never crossed my mind. But when I think back on Nationals and Trials at the time I can see how they drew that conclusion. USA Gymnastics needs to be dissolved. They're disgraceful. Steve Penny and the Karolyis are despicable people.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Athlete A was very well done.

I'm watching Athlete A. I'm more pissed now than I was and I didn't think that was possible. Maggie's parents are implying that she did not make the team because she reported Nassar. That never crossed my mind. But when I think back on Nationals and Trials at the time I can see how they drew that conclusion.

My two cents is that Marta broke Nichols, i.e., yet another injury at her death camps, and shrugged it off like she always did. An "oh well, can't use you anymore. Next." If anyone got robbed of that Olympic team, I think it's Ashton Locklear, but I've already said that a million times. If Nichols was singled out because of the investigation, it's interesting that Raisman was not also punished since she participated in the internal investigation and gave the HR person Moroney's name as a victim. Of course, Raisman was also uninjured, finishing near the top of the standings, and more marketable having already been an Olympian so that may have "redeemed" her in Penny's :bribe:-hungry mind. Or maybe Penny thought Raisman's parents were pushing less for justice. Or he was mad at Nichols' coach for making the report.

I'd have to go back and look at Nichols' scores, but I'm also not sure that I would have chosen her as an alternate. Skinner was there to replace Biles or Raisman (strong floor and vault). Locklear's the alternate to replace Douglas or Kocian (national champ on bars). And Smith was the alternate to replace Hernandez (strong beam). Nichols wasn't better than Skinner on her two strong events nor Locklear's best one. And I want to say Smith did better on beam, which doesn't leave room for a Nichols alternate. The Trials were so close to the Olympics that a few weeks probably wasn't going to give her enough time to catch up. Nonetheless, I still think she was treated poorly and giving her parents different treatment demonstrates that USAG wasn't giving her a fair shake anyway.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Under Marta, getting injured was a mortal sin. Marta just cancelled an injured athlete until the athlete was able to beat Marta’s current top 3. No discussion, cancelled, done. How DARE you get hurt in the run up to the Os?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information