From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatingguy

decently
Speaking of Stolbova and skating though. I truly did like her with Andrei. It was just the beginning and didn't last, but I saw a lot of potential. What happened? Why did she retired?

I still don't know because the announcement came in early 2020 and that was the time I disconnected from FS. And world in general, later with the lockdown, so I didn't follow any news.
I don't remember if there was anything specific other than Russian Nationals didn't go that well, and they were clearly not going to crack the top 3 in Russia.

Amantide

I don't remember if there was anything specific other than Russian Nationals didn't go that well, and they were clearly not going to crack the top 3 in Russia.
I remember the nationals. I loved those programs and their skating, as in SS.
Pity.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
The lizard of ice dance. The lizard of figure skating. What shall we name him? :D

screech

ROC's official statement. Some of their claims (copied and pasted from English translation):
  • The doping test of the Athlete who gave a positive result does not apply to the period of the Olympic Games. At the same time, the Athlete repeatedly passed doping tests before and after December 25, 2021, including already in Beijing during the figure skating tournament. All results are negative.
  • In accordance with the All-Russian Anti-Doping Rules and the World Anti-Doping Code, the Athlete requested RAA RUSADA to hold an expedited hearing regarding the provisional suspension applied to her.
    The hearing took place on February 9, 2022. Following the results of the hearings, the Disciplinary Committee of RAA RUSADA canceled the temporary suspension applied to the Athlete. The decision entered into force immediately.
  • Thus, at present, the Athlete has the right to train and take part in competitions in full without restrictions until the Court of Arbitration for Sport decides otherwise regarding her status in relation to the Olympic Games.
  • Given that the Athlete's positive doping test was not taken during the Olympic Games, the Athlete's results and team competition results during the Olympic Games are not subject to automatic review.
  • The Russian Olympic Committee is taking comprehensive measures to protect the rights and interests of the members of the ROC Team, and to keep the honestly won Olympic gold medal.
  • The ROC also proceeds from the fact that a full-fledged investigation will be carried out, as a result of which all relevant legal and factual circumstances of the incident will be established," the ROC said in a statement.

ETA, apparently the US can prosecute those involved in Valieva's doping case under the American Rodchenkov Act (RADA)
The RADA bill was signed into U.S. law in 2020 and empowers American prosecutors to seek fines of up to $1 million and jail terms of up to 10 years, even for non-Americans, if actions have affected American athletes’ results.

soogar

He has a doctorate of law - the op either didn't understand the difference, or wanted to mislead - given that they posted a Youtube link without any info about what it was or the source I'm going with the 2nd option.
Europeans call lawyers "Dr" because of the degree.

alexikeguchi

ROC's official statement. Some of their claims (copied and pasted from English translation):
  • The doping test of the Athlete who gave a positive result does not apply to the period of the Olympic Games. At the same time, the Athlete repeatedly passed doping tests before and after December 25, 2021, including already in Beijing during the figure skating tournament. All results are negative.
  • In accordance with the All-Russian Anti-Doping Rules and the World Anti-Doping Code, the Athlete requested RAA RUSADA to hold an expedited hearing regarding the provisional suspension applied to her.
    The hearing took place on February 9, 2022. Following the results of the hearings, the Disciplinary Committee of RAA RUSADA canceled the temporary suspension applied to the Athlete. The decision entered into force immediately.
  • Thus, at present, the Athlete has the right to train and take part in competitions in full without restrictions until the Court of Arbitration for Sport decides otherwise regarding her status in relation to the Olympic Games.
  • Given that the Athlete's positive doping test was not taken during the Olympic Games, the Athlete's results and team competition results during the Olympic Games are not subject to automatic review.
  • The Russian Olympic Committee is taking comprehensive measures to protect the rights and interests of the members of the ROC Team, and to keep the honestly won Olympic gold medal.
  • The ROC also proceeds from the fact that a full-fledged investigation will be carried out, as a result of which all relevant legal and factual circumstances of the incident will be established," the ROC said in a statement.

ETA, apparently the US can prosecute those involved in the doping of Valieva under the American Rodchenkov Act (RADA)
Thanks for the summary. The penultimate bullet point stuck out to me and unfortunately indicates why the team event medal ceremony is never going to happen. The optics of giving out gold medals to a team when everyone is now aware of the controversy would just be unacceptable. At the same time, given when and where the positive occurred and jurisdictional issues, I think ROC might have a better chance of keeping Kamila in the individual event even if the medals are ultimately redistributed. I'm not a lawyer though.

soogar

If Liza hasn't been asked to come to Beijing now, I doubt she will have time to come before the ladies event should Kamila not be allowed to compete. :( Really wish they would get her there just in case
I think they need to request blood tests and hair samples from Sherbakova and Trusova. The problem is that they only rely on urine and would never ask the teammates to subject themselves to testing if they haven't failed a test. I can only imagine what they may find in a strand of Trusova's hair since she has never cut it.

To add, I often felt the Canadians were sore sports going on TSL and talking smack about Russian ladies. Now I'm not so certain.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Europeans call lawyers "Dr" because of the degree.
The original poster used the word 'doctor' - an interview with a doctor. Using the title Dr. in front of the name of someone with a doctorate is completely appropriate. In the context of the original post the word 'doctor' without any other information didn't make it clear what the interview was about - it was a legal opinion, not a medical opinion - or who the interviewee was - he's a lawyer who specializes in cases before the CAS. The original post was misleading.

screech

As many people have been wondering the reason for the delay in Kamila's test results, apparently it was due to C0v!d.

"According to the data sent by the laboratory to RUSADA, the reason for the delays in the analysis and reporting by the laboratory was another wave of coronavirus and an increase in the incidence among laboratory personnel, as well as quarantine rules,"

barbarafan

ETA, apparently the US can prosecute those involved in Valieva's doping case under the American Rodchenkov Act (RADA)
Wow!!..I have a problem with the bit about the test not being taken during the Olympic games so not really counting. This drug has been on the banned list for many years, is definitely performance enhancing, and is counted as one of the drugs which the athlete cannot take at any time, not just competition time as it is the gift that keeps on giving. What is new is the discovery that the migraine drug can cloud the results so you it is difficult to prove if the makeup is from the migraine drug or if they also have the angina drug in their system. So by also giving an athlete both (bearing in mind quantities, size of person etc etc. when it is given) you can end up not being able to prove it. Let us hope if it was taken at all that the team is disqualified. Eteri has many strange friends...Putin, doping doctors, Russian Fed...Judges.

NAOTMAA

I assume everyone's test was sent to Sweden for validation? Or was it just Kamila cause her's originally came back positive? Hopefully Anna and Sasha are cleared in the process

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I assume everyone's test was sent to Sweden for validation? Or was it just Kamila cause her's originally came back positive? Hopefully Anna and Sasha are cleared in the process
There aren't any WADA-approved labs in Russia, so RUSADA has to send all tests out of the country. I believe the lab in Stockholm has been used by RUSADA for many sports and events over the last several years.

altai_rose

As many people have been wondering the reason for the delay in Kamila's test results, apparently it was due to C0v!d.
I thought that the laboratories under WADA need to make sure they have sufficient personnel and resources to be able to process tests in a timely manner, or else they can't be a WADA lab. My lab split shifts during peak COVID, 1/2 of the lab worked nights. I remember in Tokyo there was a story about the lab working 24 hrs a day to get the larger than usual number of tests processed. Though I guess 5-6 weeks, double the usual time, may still be acceptable. In any case, it's a moot point.

If I'm understanding correctly, the Russian argument is that the positive test occurred during Russian Nationals, for which RUSADA has jurisdiction, and RUSADA can suspend and choose to revoke the suspension as they have done, probably because sample B hasn't been tested, Valieva is 'protected', etc. And IOC/ISU/WADA is appealing to CAS that RUSADA cannot revoke the suspension.

Trillian

Wow!!..I have a problem with the bit about the test not being taken during the Olympic games so not really counting. This drug has been on the banned list for many years, is definitely performance enhancing, and is counted as one of the drugs which the athlete cannot take at any time, not just competition time as it is the gift that keeps on giving.

I haven’t read their statement, but if that’s RUSADA’s only justification for lifting the suspension, it’s just bizarre and certainly doesn’t help their credibility. It’s like getting arrested for drunk driving and arguing that it doesn’t count because you didn’t actually consume the drink while you were behind the wheel.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Tests taken during the Olympics are expedited. The standard year-round testing, in and out of competition, isn't systematically expedited. It is complicated in Russia, because there are no approved labs in Russia, and they have to send samples to labs where they can't force their own prioritization/work rules or have the same cv protocols.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
IIRC he was not a string jumper. May be that pretty much decided that they would never make the world team.

NAOTMAA

There aren't any WADA-approved labs in Russia, so RUSADA has to send all tests out of the country. I believe the lab in Stockholm has been used by RUSADA for many sports and events over the last several years.
So we can, at least at this moment, assume that everyone on the Russian Olympic skating team is negative of any illegal drugs except Kamila?

Evilynn

((Swedish skating dudes))
I doubt the lab techs can work from home, so if enough of them were out with symptoms, or stuck in quarantine because one of their family members were (or they met someone with the crud), I can easily see how they might not have met the deadline (I think the Guardian said it's usually 20 days from receiving the sample?). And as someone said, Swedes are off on Dec 24-26, Jan 1 and Jan 6.

I think the admittedly horrible timing probably isn't a conspiracy, so much as c0vid quarantining protocols keeping people from the lab. The labs doing the actual c0vid testing were also swamped, and at one point in January the health agency gave up and told everyone to assume it's the crud if they were having symptoms, and to follow the quarantine guidelines.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So we can, at least at this moment, assume that everyone on the Russian Olympic skating team is negative of any illegal drugs except Kamila?
If their A sample results are all in and negative, or B tested and negative, and there haven't been other, unpublicized RUSada suspensions lifted.

It was the timing of the TE medal ceremonies and second postponement that opened the current can of worms. Had Valieva not competed in the TE, who knows whether this would have come to light at all.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

That's a really loaded question - let's put it this way - no one else has failed a drug test.
Exactly. As many others have pointed out, there are lots of examples of athletes who tested clean until they didn't, and declared their innocence until the evidence was inarguable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information