From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nune

If it's true that she took a pill for her migraine, it is also true that already many experts have confirmed that this drug it's not a performance enhancement. If all this scandal doesn't affect her, she is going to win fair and square!
Oh no… what a kind of evtl excuse to take a pill for your migraine. I don’t trust the Eteri camp at all. Sorry. Even she’s developed great skatees, there is a kind of suspicious development and she’s got such a power and connections That to me it seems as kind of a mafia.

morgan rye

Oh no… what a kind of evtl excuse to take a pill for your migraine. I don’t trust the Eteri camp at all. Sorry. Even she’s developed great skatees, there is a kind of suspicious development and she’s got such a power and connections That to me it seems as kind of a mafia.
a pill for migraine. that's about the only thing i have heard it isn't used for. she will never win fair in my eyes.

euterpe

The "doctor" in the video appears to be talking as a lawyer, not a medical professional, as he addressed the legal aspects of a minor accused of having taken a banned substance. After all, he is a partner in a Swiss law firm. When the subject of whether the drug in question was performance-enhancing, he did not comment on that issue, but rather that all drugs on the list need to be reassessed. Spoken like a lawyer.

skatingguy

decently
The "doctor" in the video appears to be talking as a lawyer, not a medical professional, as he addressed the legal aspects of a minor accused of having taken a banned substance. After all, he is a partner in a Swiss law firm. When the subject of whether the drug in question was performance-enhancing, he did not comment on that issue, but rather that all drugs on the list need to be reassessed. Spoken like a lawyer.
He has a doctorate of law - the op either didn't understand the difference, or wanted to mislead - given that they posted a Youtube link without any info about what it was or the source I'm going with the 2nd option.

euterpe

The MIGRAINE drug is not performance-enhancing. But the migraine drug can decompose into substances similar to those produced by the heart drug which is performance enhancing. For that reason, a skater who has migraine needs to ask for permission to take the migraine drug and offer medical documentation in support of the request.

Diuretics are not performance enhancing, either, but they can mask the presence of other performance-enhancing drugs. That's why skaters can be banned for taking diuretics (and there was a case in the last decade of a skater being banned for taking a diuretic given to him by his father for a 'headache'). The father took the drug for high blood pressure.

Judy

I think it’s obvious that she was found doping and Russian is appealing = legal issue along with the minor child issue. Despite the fact that even Russia media released her name.

I hate doping in any country including my own. I just can’t respect this skater at the moment. Russia .. well .. yup. There is a big reason why they are ROC.

muffinplus

The MIGRAINE drug is not performance-enhancing. But the migraine drug can decompose into substances similar to those produced by the heart drug which is performance enhancing. For that reason, a skater who has migraine needs to ask for permission to take the migraine drug and offer medical documentation in support of the request.
What's the source for this? (not saying this is not true, just wondering what the source is?)

NAOTMAA

I'm very likely in the minority but I believe they were extremely careless and stupid not having the medication cleared and that's all. Eteri's been a high profile coach since 2014 and has had more skaters under her watch then any other coach in the same time period (probably by a large margin too). This is the first time something like this has happened to one of her skaters. There's no hint of a history of it. Questionable health diets and training methods but not this. So that's why I believe it was just flat out stupidity and not some nefarious act of corruption as unbelievable and ridiculous as it sounds

muffinplus

I feel like this was explained to you already in a different thread but maybe it was someone else- athletes need to list their medications and request medical use exemptions for any that might show up on a test.
Exemption is for something that is prohibited. This medication is not prohibited, so I'm simply asking what the source of the information that they have to seek an exemption for it (even if it's not TUE).

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Exemption is for something that is prohibited. This medication is not prohibited, so I'm simply asking what the source of the information that they have to declare it (even if it's not TUE).
Athletes have to fill out forms at every competition, and every time they are tested indicating all medications or supplements they are taking.

Willin

My understanding is that athletes need to make it known even if they’re taking a drug that’s not on the prohibited list even if a TUE is not needed.
Yes, for the most part you need to submit a list of all medications you take even if they're not banned. At least that's how it works in the US.

I'm very likely in the minority but I believe they were extremely careless and stupid not having the medication cleared and that's all. Eteri's been a high profile coach since 2014 and has had more skaters under her watch then any other coach in the same time period (probably by a large margin too). This is the first time something like this has happened to one of her skaters. There's no hint of a history of it. Questionable health diets and training methods but not this. So that's why I believe it was just flat out stupidity and not some nefarious act of corruption as unbelievable and ridiculous as it sounds
You're in the minority because this medication is not a medication 99.99% of teenage girls would ever need - and if they did need it they would certainly not be cleared by a doctor to participate in any sort of elite sports. So there's 0 logical reason for her to take this medicine.

muffinplus

Athletes have to fill out forms at every competition, and every time they are tested indicating all medications or supplements they are taking.

Sorry what I was asking was not the source saying they need to declare it, but one stating that they need to ask for permission to take it... I misspoke, the post I quoted and highlighted said they would need to apply for permission tot take it. That they need to declare it I do get that...

skatingguy

decently
Sorry what I was asking was not the source saying they need to declare it, but one stating that they need to ask for permission to take it... I misspoke, the post I quoted and highlighted said they would need to apply for permission tot take it. That they need to declare it I do get that...
Okay, so no they don't need permission to take medication that is not on the banned list.

mackiecat

In one of the articles yesterday shown that some drugs you are not allowed during a competition and others you are not allowed at all. This one you are not allowed at any time. She tested positive on a random urine drug test in December. It is for heart disease. If she actually has the heart disease I guess she could get a medical exemption certificate but it most be submitted before.
This medicine is not authorized for paediatric patients so there is NO way she would have been prescribed this Even if she dI’d have angina.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Okay, so no they don't need permission to take medication that is not on the banned list.
Right, they don’t have to apply for a TUE if it’s not on the banned list. But when doing the paperwork for drug testing, they do need to list even permitted substances. Like, you don’t need permission to take Tylenol, but you’d still have to list it.

skatingguy

decently
Right, they don’t have to apply for a TUE if it’s not on the banned list. But when doing the paperwork for drug testing, they do need to list even permitted substances. Like, you don’t need permission to take Tylenol, but you’d still have to list it.
Maybe more importantly - they have to be damn careful about what they take - when they take it - and most top level athletes are going to be talking to someone about anything they consider taking, or having a plan for 'if A' take this because this is safe for you to take.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

What I really don't understand is team Eteri had skaters like Anna, Alena and Sasha attempting multiple quads and 3As in international competition way before Kamila hit the scene yet they never, that we know of, tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. Even when Sasha was ultra ambitious and trying 5 quads a program, no positive test. So why should I believe Eteri and her team of coaches are purposely doping athletes now? Why would Kamila be singled out by them? It doesn't make sense to me. There's got to be more going on

Perky Shae Lynn

What I really don't understand is team Eteri had skaters like Anna, Alena and Sasha attempting multiple quads and 3As in international competition way before Kamila hit the scene yet they never, that we know of, tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. Even when Sasha was ultra ambitious and trying 5 quads a program, no positive test. So why should I believe Eteri and her team of coaches are purposely doping athletes now? Why would Kamila be singled out by them? It doesn't make sense to me. There's got to be more going on
I hate to say it, I really do - it is possible they were never caught... The girls obviously would have no clue. An argument can be made that an endurance/recovery booster could helps these young teenagers survive team Eteri's extreme training conditions.

aka_gerbil

Everyone has jumped to the speculative conclusion that it was Eteri, but (and I’ve shared this in other parts of the board), it could’ve been adults specific to Valieva and not the coaching team.

I don’t think Eteri cares which specific skater wins, but I bet the parents do. The stiffest competition the Russian ladies have is domestic. It’s a blood bath to get out of nationals. Not all parents have their child’s best interest in mind or they have a distorted sense of ways to help their kid succeed.

NAOTMAA

I hate to say it, I really do - it is possible they were never caught... The girls obviously would have no clue. An argument can be made that an endurance/recovery booster could help these children and young teenagers survive team Eteri's hunger games.
They passed international drug tests over and over and over for five plus years? Plus you can go even further back to Evgenia, Alina or Julia. No positive tests. She's got so many skaters competing and every one of them gets tested multiple times a year. Maybe (crazier things have happened) but I don't believe it

aka_gerbil

They passed international drug tests over and over and over for five plus years? Plus you can go even further back to Evgenia, Alina or Julia. No positive tests. She's got so many skaters competing and every one of them gets tested multiple times a year. Maybe (crazier things have happened) but I don't believe it
That’s what I keep coming back to—all the skaters, all the years, and this is the only one. (And also why I’m tired of others accusing all of the skaters past and present of doping when there is no evidence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information