From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I sort of hope they don't qualify. I agree they have the right to do it, but they already were really lucky to have two easy GP assignments and medal. And those medals IMO helped them with their reputation and helped them get a high placement at senior Nationals. They aren't super consistent either. It wouldn't look good if they lose to the other teams at Junior Nationals or Junior Worlds. If I were them I would leave well enough alone.
I have to disagree. If they qualify and they want to give themselves a chance to go to Jr Worlds, I see nothing wrong with it. Let them compete at the Jr nationals and see which three pairs emerge for Jr worlds. If A/N skate well enough to qualify, I see nothing wrong in them competing in Jr worlds.

olympic

OK. So, Russia will announce its Olympic / Worlds team soon? I understood from another poster somewhere that the team would be announced when they send the list to China, but I assumed it would be a grand announcement.

Rina RUS

dmitry_solovyev: Happy Figure Skating Day!
In this post I also want to answer to numerous messages with questions about my health. Thank you, dear friends, I am recovering step by step. I am following all the doctors' recommendations, which also include using my phone as rare as possible. So unfortunately I can’t respond to your messages and comments now. As far as possible I read them, I’m very pleased.
Yes, there are some consequences, including some issues with speech. I'm sure I'll cope with them soon.
I hug you tightly.

hanca

Values her privacy
Apparently Tumanova/Kunitsa are not skating together any more.

This week are Russian junior nationals.

Marco

OK. So, Russia will announce its Olympic / Worlds team soon? I understood from another poster somewhere that the team would be announced when they send the list to China, but I assumed it would be a grand announcement.
My understanding is Jan 20.

The pairs and ice dance entries are non-controversial, so the real nailbiter is really the 3rd men's spot between Semenenko and Mozalev and the women's team. I don't even know if the men's 3rd spot is supposed to be determined by the skate-off at Euros at all but now with Mozalev beating Semenenko two times in a row, things can get interesting. And my guess with the ladies is that the Euros podium will be sent to Beijing. If Anna had been 3rd or below, Liza might still have a chance to be considered. But not silver.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
dmitry_solovyev: Happy Figure Skating Day!
In this post I also want to answer to numerous messages with questions about my health. Thank you, dear friends, I am recovering step by step. I am following all the doctors' recommendations, which also include using my phone as rare as possible. So unfortunately I can’t respond to your messages and comments now. As far as possible I read them, I’m very pleased.
Yes, there are some consequences, including some issues with speech. I'm sure I'll cope with them soon.
I hug you tightly.

Best wishes to him for a full recovery. It must be such a difficult time for him, but he seems to be handling it bravely.

Arch-

My understanding is Jan 20.

The pairs and ice dance entries are non-controversial, so the real nailbiter is really the 3rd men's spot between Semenenko and Mozalev and the women's team. I don't even know if the men's 3rd spot is supposed to be determined by the skate-off at Euros at all but now with Mozalev beating Semenenko two times in a row, things can get interesting. And my guess with the ladies is that the Euros podium will be sent to Beijing. If Anna had been 3rd or below, Liza might still have a chance to be considered. But not silver.
Not real sure it's a nail biter for the men's or women's anymore. Women's team is set w no question.

Mozalev forced their hand by beating Seme at Nats and winning the overall short at Euro's. Then beating him in the LP and outright. Imo...he also passed the eye test better.

I VERY much like Seme. He seems like a good funny kid in interviews and he has good clean edging but his landing position, like someone just punched him in the gut, is an enormous problem. Who allowed him to make that a habit as a jr should be tarnished.

But it is RUS so who really knows until the skaters hit the ice. Lol

Kelvster

I am so anxious about the men’s selection. Mozalev’s style of skating is just beautiful. Pleeeease send him! I like semenenko too but yes he neeeeeeds to sort out those landing problems.

Sylvia

TBD
Mozalev is in:

Marco

RUS Olympic team:

Valieva, Shcherbakova, Trusova

Kondratiuk, Mozalev, Kolyada

Mishina / Galliamov, Tarasova / Morosov, Boikova / Kozlovskii

Sinitsina / Katsalapov, Stepanova / Bukin, Davis / Smolkin

Fair to go with Mozalev after he beat Semenenko at both Nationals and Europeans. Funnily Mozalev might not have had a chance to beat him the second time if his training mate Kolyada hadn't pulled out.

The women swept the podium and deserved to be named.

That said, all alternates should continue training and be ready to compete since things are still very unpredictable with YKW.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
RUS Olympic team:

Fair to go with Mozalev after he beat Semenenko at both Nationals and Europeans. Funnily Mozalev might not have had a chance to beat him the second time if his training mate Kolyada hadn't pulled out.

That said, all alternates should continue training and be ready to compete since things are still very unpredictable with YKW.
The alternates are all going to the pre-Olympics training base in Krasnoyarsk, from what I understand.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Any guesses as to why there are 3 alternates for dance but 2 for all the other disciplines?

becca

RUS Olympic team:

This is a fair team.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is a fair team.
I am not sure what you mean by fair. Really there is and should be be anything"fair". It is not like the everyone gets a Blue Ribbon for participating.
This hopefully based on merit, year's of grueling work an the ability to deliver when it counts.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Cross-posting from other relevant threads.

Team Russia gathers to hear Putin’s pre-departure pep talk, via Zoom link from the Kremlin to the various cities in Russia that are hosting the specific-sport groups (fig skaters in Krasnoyarsk). In today’s Channel One news report, the skaters can be seen beginning at the 2:51-minute mark…Kamila is the spokesperson!

Ka3sha

Interview with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in Vogue Russia

clairecloutier

Betina Popova announces split from husband Denis Khodykin (Pavliuchenko/Khodykin):

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Betina Popova announces split from husband Denis Khodykin (Pavliuchenko/Khodykin):

well that lasted less than a year.

Kids marriage never works out, even if Popova considers herself the mature of the pair.

Amy L

That's kind of a bummer. She was responsible for coming up with a lot of the acrobatic moves P/K were doing this season. Who gets custody of Schnapps the dog??

On a happier note, Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva announced her engagement to Kirill Blagov (a producer for Russia Channel One) a few days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZEQBlzI8RP/

She's 19. Teenage marriages seem to be kind of common for Russian figure skaters, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information