From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Don't think it is going to be possible any time soon. Their coaches seem to be content with the way things are going.
I read somewhere when she (Zhuk) said working with outside choreoghers is quite expensive.
Okay. Well it is what it is.

OTOH, can anyone say what has become of Ekaterina Katashinskaya? She is amazing. She outgrew her previous partner and I haven't heard or seen much thereafter. She can dance and skate. She reminds me of Tessa Virtue and Lena Ilinykh rolled into one. Can't she find a partner outside of Russia in Canada or the US maybe? There is so much talent there.

irenemulindwairen

Okay. Well it is what it is.

OTOH, can anyone say what has become of Ekaterina Katashinskaya? She is amazing. She outgrew her previous partner and I haven't heard or seen much thereafter. She can dance and skate. She reminds me of Tessa Virtue and Lena Ilinykh rolled into one. Can't she find a partner outside of Russia in Canada or the US maybe? There is so much talent there.
I too have been wondering what became of Ekaterina Katashinskaya. So sad to see a great talent like her waste away.

Bigbird

I too have been wondering what became of Ekaterina Katashinskaya. So sad to see a great talent like her waste away.
Yeah. Hopefully though good news will come later in the season. If only they had another Valerie Angelopol who was a smidge taller. She needs someone built like an Andrew Poje who can match her skills. Time will tell.

Bigbird

According to this article from March Katashinskaya seems to skate with Matvey Grachev.

Who is Matvey Grachev? I have never heard of him or seen him perform? He seems more like a training partner or temporary fix rather than and actual partner?

Is she still in that training group though? I don't see her in their latest group photos.

irenemulindwairen

I missed listing Morozov/Bagin's Skate America spot in my post #45. M/B were #14 SB in 2019-20 season due to Golden Spin of Zagreb (known for inflated scores?) & #62 in WS. I think it would have been fairer for them and Shevchenko/Eremenko (#26 SB that season/#26 WS) to have split 2 GP assignments. Hopefully S/E will get the Rostelecom Cup TBA:

ETA that Shevchenko/Eremenko's coaches are supportive of them:
What an injustice.

Ka3sha

Evgenii Semenenko graduated from high school with honors and gold medal

Ka3sha

Tamara Moskvina and Alexei Mishin received an ISU Lifetime Achievement Award

Acceptance speech

Mishin and Moskvina's skaters with a short number (Max Trankov as a guest star)

Sylvia

TBD
Zahorski/Guerreiro are in England to stage a free dance with Christopher Dean, according to this July 9th article:

Bigbird

Zahorski/Guerreiro are in England to stage a free dance with Christopher Dean, according to this July 9th article:
They trust K/A to butcher/polish that programme throughout the season? My heart goes out to them. Aren't there any good ice dance choreographers in Russia?

Ka3sha

starrynight

ugh. It's pretty mean spirited. Clearly no one ever told her that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

She's further expanded on her comments (to the media) and has already cited Russia's ban on 'gay propaganda' as some kind of defence.

Is she just normally like this, or is she trying to play politics? (as her husband is quite high ranking politically).

I must say it is a bit of a (perhaps needed) reality check for me.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
It's the usual "men should be masculine, women should be feminine"-stuff we already got from Yagudin and others.
Here, Navka posted a video of a male rhythmic gymnast, stating that it's not normal and she doesn't want her children to see stuff like that and to grow up not thinking that this is the norm.

Russians gonna russian, I guess.

Ka3sha

I bet she doesn't know that Irina Viner is behind Men's rhythmic gymnastics in Russia, openly said that they deserve more recognition and she plans to work on it and develop this sport. Also, they held Russian junior nationals for men's rhythmic gymnasts this January :p

starrynight

Man. A bit of a reality check. Honestly, sometimes I've thought the politics-lite insta virtue-signalling gets a bit stale. BUT I've realised that comes from a place of complacency. I'll take that any day over having to see something awfully mean like that from Navka get half a million views and thousand of comments.

I wonder who that athlete is and if they realise some retired figure skater is orchestrating a high profile online attack on them.

As for mens rhythmic gymnastics - I've seen some very very cool stuff involving hoops. Not everyone has to wear a sparkly leotard if they don't choose to. Same as with skating, some of the men wear plain costumes and others wear more embellished ones, it's all a choice.

Last edited:

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Does Navka not realize that a lot of people would not see ice dancing as a masculine sport?

Sylvia

TBD
2 photos of Zahorski/Guerreiro with Christopher Dean in Nottingham, England: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRjRUVIpyM3/
Tiffani's machine translated message:
We had a great time working with a true legend. Our creative process is coming to a close and we are so excited about out new free dance that we can't wait to show you. Thank you Christophr Dean for creating this masterpiece for our Olympic season...
Jonathan shared a short clip of them working with Dean: https://www.instagram.com/p/CReWNLNIONm/

mjb52

I didn't watch it because it was long but I was really impressed to see that it looked like Tiffany did a 40 minutes live instagram interview thing in Russian. I'm terrrrrrible at languages so I'm always really impressed when other people pick them up successfully., it's like alchemy to me.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I didn't watch it because it was long but I was really impressed to see that it looked like Tiffany did a 40 minutes live instagram interview thing in Russian. I'm terrrrrrible at languages so I'm always really impressed when other people pick them up successfully., it's like alchemy to me.
She has been in Russia for 7 years, that is a long time! So she is pretty much fully integrated into Russian life and culture.

mjb52

also, I wish the Navka's and Yagudin's would think about the young Russian skaters who they harm with these comments. They aren't responsible for them, but they inevitably probably surround them with a bit of a dark cloud, even though they aren't their fault and they obviously can't stand up to these hugely prominent people who also hold a lot of financial power over who gets to do what. If Navka and Yagudin care about the sport, they would keep these thoughts to themselves, even if they aren't educated enough not to have them. I think that whole generation sometimes seems to have trouble letting go of the spotlight.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What is Tatiana Navka doing on her Instagram? It sort of looks like she’s being really very mean and picking on a gymnast just for the sake of it?

Link to Navka’s post here:

Maybe an unfortunate choice of costume...Egyptian diaper? Bad for any gymnast, male or female.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information