From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @Ka3sha for starting a separate GSD thread again this year for the junior & senior test skates: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2020-russian-junior-and-senior-test-skates.107468/

ETA:

Russian pair girl updates in other countries...

Liza Zhuk is back in the Czech Republic with Martin Bidar: https://instagram.com/p/CDrSqwdpa4A/

Nadya Labazina will make her competitive debut with TJ Nyman in the coming week at the Cup of Colorado club comp. where they are scheduled to compete their Senior SP. They are based in Monument, CO: https://instagram.com/p/CCMMCoIpa4A/

Daria Danilova flew from Moscow yesterday, presumably to rejoin NED’s Michel Tsiba: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDoEZEiJp7b/

Lena Pavlova may still be in St. Petersburg?

Last edited:

DobrinFan

Valieva can perform at adult skates
"This option is being considered," Gorshkov answered by phone when asked about Valieva's performance at the adult skates. "The athlete has such a level that it makes sense for her to compete in adult competitions where possible. I think it would be right."

hanca

Values her privacy
Now we understand more clearly why Kostornaia and Trusova left?
Well, Trusova has a number of quads, whereas Valieva has only one. She also won’t get the PCS Kostornaya gets. I can’t see that they have anything to worry about. Four years ago situation was different because neither Medvedeva nor Zagitova had anything extra, it was only about being consistent. Now it will be more about the technical mark.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And for all those who accused the coaches for making poor little Trusova do those nasty quads, they were the ones trying to reign her in. She makes it very clear it was her idea to do them and she wants to do 5 just like Nathen. And a 3A. Her parents reward her with dogs for new achievements.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
And for all those who accused the coaches for making poor little Trusova do those nasty quads, they were the ones trying to reign her in. She makes it very clear it was her idea to do them and she wants to do 5 just like Nathen. And a 3A. Her parents reward her with dogs for new achievements.
Well, now that team Eteri has been proven innocent of forcing Trusova to do more quads than her parents wanted, clearly there are no problematic things happening at the Sambo rink. Color me convinced.

I'm not sure who Nathen is, though.

muffinplus

Well, now that team Eteri has been proven innocent of forcing Trusova to do more quads than her parents wanted, clearly there are no problematic things happening at the Sambo rink. Color me convinced.

I'm not sure who Nathen is, though.

You will never be convinced anyways. 🤷 But at least you won't be going around saying she is pushing everyone to cram as many quads as possible maybe?

Tinami Amori

You will never be convinced anyways. 🤷 But at least you won't be going around saying she is pushing everyone to cram as many quads as possible maybe?
For the last two years russian "rink insiders" were saying that Trusova and TeamTut were fighting over jumps vs. other elements and choreo. Trusova wants to only jump, and when coaches were not looking she would drop doing other elements and start jumping. It is her right to jump if that's what she wants and to find those who'll let her jump. It's her life and her career.

muffinplus

Who's been saying Eteri made her do them, anyway? All the reports say it's Trusova herself who insists on doing as many as possible, and as far as I can tell, everyone believes it.

Who? how about everyone has been building a narrative that Eteri makes these girls do quads until they are injured and crams Trusova's programs with quads while ignoring everything else?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Got any names of those pushing this narrative? The only narrative I'm familiar with in that respect is that Trusova wants to do the jumps and Eteri lets her. Those of us who criticize Eteri do so because she pushes risky diets and teaches bad technique, not because she makes anyone jump.

muffinplus

Got any names of those pushing this narrative? The only narrative I'm familiar with in that respect is that Trusova wants to do the jumps and Eteri lets her. Those of us who criticize Eteri do so because she pushes risky diets and teaches bad technique, not because she makes anyone jump.

Oh please. These all go together. Just because you weren't saying it doesn't mean lots of others weren't. I'd say go look it up on twitter or maybe even here around the time when Trusova's layout was announced to be 5 quads, but then I don't recommend it.

Tinami Amori

Now we understand more clearly why Kostornaia and Trusova left?
It will never be 100% clear because there are many overlapping factors: Money, lack of sponsors, lack of guaranteed events due to xxxxxxxx and uncertainty in the future.

Both ladies and parents expected sponsors to come running, but they did not. Yana Rudkovskaya is a "business lady" and promised to find them sponsors. The issue of "why Kostornaya is not getting sponsors" was a subject of several articles this Spring. And Trusova can't figure out either why with all her cute dressed up dogs and her jumps she is not getting much commercial attention. The most worried ones were their parents.

Lack of shows and uncertainty of prize money - Plushenko signed them up for his winter shows, one of them is "Snow Maiden". With Lipnitzkaya out being mother and Sotnikova's popularity fading, Trus and Kost are Plushy's new stars, with contracts and guaranteed pay.

Pluschenko is also paying them a "stipend" either a one time fee, or in portions. Both families will take whatever money they can make now, because there is no guarantee the girls will win Olympics, or if Olympics will even take place in their time span. Trusova can't jump like that forever, and Kostornaya announced she is going to Med school after 2022.

Then of course "personal". Kostornaya did not get alone with a few girls in the main group, bunch of little things that added up to resentment on both sides, the "other girls" would not accept Kostornaya's self-appointed prima status and stood up to her. Kostornaya did not want to train with them on ice or in a gym.

And with Trusova, she said it her self - they don't let her jump as much as she wants to.

If the Worlds took place, depending on how the 3A would place, the layout of the situation could have been different... :cool:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
For the last two years russian "rink insiders" were saying that Trusova and TeamTut were fighting over jumps vs. other elements and choreo. Trusova wants to only jump, and when coaches were not looking she would drop doing other elements and start jumping. It is her right to jump if that's what she wants and to find those who'll let her jump. It's her life and her career.

It is her life and her career. She is young, though, and I hope she has the wisdom to see down the road.
I loved Plush explaining what he wants her to change about her quads. So very interesting.

mjb52

It is definitely interesting that Shcherbakova was the one who got the contract with Nike since she started out the season as the least well known of the three while Trusova had already received so much attention for her quads and Kostornaya got so much attention for her artistry. But didn't Trusova also have some kind of commercial deal? I thought it was Kostornaya who people were surprised to see left out, not both of them.

Tinami Amori

Anastasia Tarakanova confirms (with a photo) - She is figure skating on rollers... :)

Tinami Amori

It is definitely interesting that Shcherbakova was the one who got the contract with Nike since she started out the season as the least well known of the three while Trusova had already received so much attention for her quads and Kostornaya got so much attention for her artistry. But didn't Trusova also have some kind of commercial deal? I thought it was Kostornaya who people were surprised to see left out, not both of them.
Shcherbakova is very photogenic and has not done or said anything provocative, she 2x National Champion. She recently was voted one of the most beautiful female athletes in Russia (along with Zagitova and Sharapova) in a Japanese publication (I can find the link if anyone wants to see it). She actually speaks English fluently, and not brags about it yet then asks for a translator. She come from a very good family, with dignity and class and acts accordingly.

Shcherbakova got a Nike sponsorship. Trusova got Adidas a year ago. I don't know if they get paid or just free clothes.
Kostornaya, imo, acts feisty and standoffish, and she is a show-off, i've been saying this for the last 3 years... that her attitude about her self and others will come back to bite her. At present she is not simpatico for the advertisers, regardless of her great skates she does not touch people as a personality. If she wins Olys..... then maybe things will change. Trusova expected more business because of her jumps and "cute dogs", but other than Adidas and a recent diet powder advert Amino-Vital (procured by Pluschenko's team), and this brand of teenager bags/totes (https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbFO8ZoYfQ/) nothing major was yet offered.

... Everyone remembers Sharapova's commercial, and want the same.... :)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

If Plushy really got her a diet powder ad, that sucks. I say that if he did it, and I'd say it if Eteri did it, and I'd say it if Brian or Raf or Mishin or any other coach in the world did it.

My kingdom for a coach who gets his student an ad for chocolate bars!
It's a Japanese product, Amino Vital, it comes in powder and has different products that serve different functions.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Amino Vital is not a diet powder. It's a series of function powders for people who do sports to get various useful amino acids.

It was sorta unexpected to me that she got a Japanese sponsorship after leaving Eteri. Maybe Plushy have connections with Japanese companies.

DobrinFan

Valieva can perform at adult skates

Per Channel 1 website, Valieva was removed from the list of candidates for Junior test skates :watch:

hanca

Values her privacy
Lena Pavlova may still be in St. Petersburg?
If the Russian forum was correct, she may be skating with Spiridonov.

ETA: Actually, it may have been a different skater with the same surname. Maria Pavlova is skating with Spiridonov, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information