From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder how they will decide whether skaters can compete at both juniors and seniors or if they have to pick only one. Until now, pairs were allowed to skate at both levels of Russian cup in the same season. Ice dancers skated only at one level, junior or senior. Singles were allowed to skate at only at one level Russian cup, juniors or seniors, but they could qualify to both junior and seniors nationals if they skated at junior grand prix and did senior Russian cup events, or if they skated at JGP and qualified to JGPF. If the only qualification to the nationals this season is through Russian cups, (no JGP or JGPF), unless they allow skaters to do both levels events, the skaters will have to choose whether they want to compete in junior nationals or senior nationals. That’s partially important for skaters who plan to move seniors next season (Valieva, Usacheva, Khromykh), because junior nationals will qualify them to junior worlds, but senior nationals would decide about funding for the next season (to get to the main senior team).

Ka3sha

Interview with Tamara Moskvina

This woman is a legend :respec:

Did the virus have a big impact on the preparations for the new season?
- I can't say that it influenced the training process a lot, now everyone is returning to normal life. We took the methods of the Lesgaft University of Physical Education and Sports, exercises from acrobatics and gymnastics. We made notices from the process of recovering from long-term injuries. As they say, if your legs hurt - work with your hands. If your legs and arms hurt - work with your head, watch TV, the Internet, watch masterpieces of theatrical art, ballet. Anything you can use to keep up.

- What is happening now affects the Olympic prospects? And the results become unpredictable, and we can’t be sure the Olympics will take place at all.
- It does, so what? Nothing is wrong. And who was waiting for the appearance of telephones, satellites, Skype? But it happened, and somehow we adapted. Even if the Olympics do not take place, this won’t be a disaster. There have been boycotts and cancellations of the Olympics in the past. No one will die because of the cancellation. Let's say 150 skaters will be interested in the Olympics. And out of the billions of people living on the planet, tens of millions will ask: "What is figure skating?" And the Olympics will continue to exist forever.

Boikova and Kozlovsky, for example, have not yet participated in the Games. This means that they will participate later, since it will be so destined and if the competitions do not take place in Beijing or will be postponed. The sports journalism industry will probably be at more difficult position, they will have nothing to write about.
- And for figure skating, this will not be a blow? Don't you believe that even the current scale of the pandemic is disastrous for sports? Sponsors of major competitions leave, skaters follow and retire.

- It is very difficult to predict. But we, for example, did not have personal sponsors even before. Parents help their children, the Russian Figure Skating Federation, too, of course. But in general, Tamara Moskvina's Figure Skating Sports Club is self-sufficient.

- But wouldn't you like the best Russian couple to be approached by brands with advertising offers?

- I would like to. But it is better to ask those sponsors why they do not ask us. At the moment we have something to do, and such conversations only distract from the work. We do not attach great importance to this topic, it is not the main determinant of success. And we try to perform well. Here I am 148 centimeters, but I would like to be 170 cm and have 90/60/90 measurements. But somehow it didn’t work out. Just why talk about non existent things.

- Sometimes such stories can influence on the athletes. The other day Alena Kostornaya left the group of Eteri Tutberidze, and it is quite possible that in her and Alexandra Trusova's cases financial nuances played a role.
- Sort out the reasons for the coaching changes yourself, dear correspondent. And I need to work with high-level skaters, take care of my husband, honored coach Igor Borisovich Moskvin, who will soon turn 91, and not forget about my health. I'm at risk, after all.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Russian skates who had to pass State Exams after graduating from schools got their results.
Petr Gumennik got 97 points (out of 100) on his Chemistry exam and 98 points on Russian. He also passed specialized Maths on 74 points and he didn’t even need this exam (regular Math exam and 35 points are enough to graduate from school).

It’s not news but deserves a mention since it’s an outstanding result for any student and here we have a high-level athlete :respec:

Bellanca

Russian skates who had to pass State Exams after graduating from schools got their results.
Petr Gumennik got 97 points (out of 100) on his Chemistry exam and 98 points on Russian. He also passed specialized Maths on 74 points and he didn’t even need this exam (regular Math exam and 35 points are enough to graduate from school).

It’s not news but deserves a mention since it’s an outstanding result for any student and here we have a high-level athlete :respec:
97 out of 100 / chemistry. Impressive! 👍👍

3T3T

I hope T/M aren‘t changing Bolero. I’m looking forward to seeing it again this season, even in an abridged one.

Who else has John Kerr choreographed for? Is it any good? I’ve probably seen his work it but don’t recall the couples. I see there is nice comments from Duhamel, Marchei and Jeremy Barrett.

I’m not a fan of Vladimir‘s facial hair.

mjb52

I read about Gummenik awhile ago but for whatever reason I transposed him with Danielyan in my head so when there was finally a picture of Gummenik the third or fourth time I read about his high results (the Russian figure skating media seems pretty proud of this!), I was shocked to realize I had been congratulating the wrong person mentally for a few weeks!

reut

Who else has John Kerr choreographed for? Is it any good? I’ve probably seen his work it but don’t recall the couples. I see there is nice comments from Duhamel, Marchei and Jeremy Barrett.

If you go through his Instagram you will see some familiar faces. :)
Like it was mentioned above he choreographed "That Man" (Olympic SP), he also worked with Duhamel/Radford ("With or Without You" Olympic SP), James/Cipres (in season 2017/18, but I don't remember which program - edit: mentioned above too).

Actually it's a shame that it's rather not easy to find information about specific choreographer, sometimes there is a name in ISU profile of the skater, but you're not sure which program (order should matter if there are a few names, but it's not always accurate), sometimes to find even that is problematic, especially for previous seasons...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

DobrinFan

Adelina has opened her own school, Sotka School. She will coach 2 groups. Says she wants to make skating affordable and give kids the opportunity to qualify to the best schools and has an agreement with Buyanova. Fedor Klimov will have a group there as well.

School's Instagram

Press

Bigbird

God Rozanov is handsome lol. Literally the second coming of a young Alain Delon. I don't know what the hell is going on with Russian figure skating rn, this is nonstop drama EVEN by the high standards of what we are accustomed to, so I am holding tight to that as my anchor.

They never disappoint.

But handsome is too strong a word though, cute maybe?

dinakt

If the little excerpt from Boikova/Kozlovsky's training played their music, then here it is. They will probably use an instrumental version.

It is a song from 1975 Soviet movie, "The Star of Alluring Happiness", which retells a true story about wives of the Decembrists voluntarily following their husbands to exile in Siberia in 1820ies.
So, Romantic, historical, poignant.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

If the little excerpt from Boikova/Kozlovsky's training played their music, then here it is. They will probably use an instrumental version.

It is a song from 1975 Soviet movie, "The Star of Alluring Happiness", which retells a true story about wives of the Decembrists voluntarily following their husbands to exile in Siberia in 1820ies.
So, Romantic, historical, poignant.

This sounds perfect for them! Can’t wait to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information