From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbk

I’ve been completely converted by that skate. I had heard people say that Plushenko is/was electric to see live.

It’s always just so exciting to find an old skating video that literally jumps out and basically punches you in the face with its awesomeness.

I saw him skate live eight or ten times. He could be electric or just a jumping machine. This choreography was fantastic. Many times his choreography was not. However, his skating always had attack and speed. The international competitions where both he and Yagudin skated were usually terrific.

I also miss the fun and power of a fast straight line step sequence. (Though, as now, most skaters had painfully slow step sequences -- but the fast ones were just plain fun to see and often really capitalized on the music.)

Ka3sha

Russian Sports Minister announced today that Novogorsk (closed training center) and Krugloe (also a closed training center but mainly for gymnastics) will open on Monday. And 4 more centers will start working from June, 1st.
Athletes from 21 disciplines can start training, including 3 ‘winter’ disciplines.

Most likely, figure skating is one of these 3 winter disciplines. But I guess this is only for the athletes from the main team.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
However, his skating always had attack and speed.
In general, yes. Not in Vancouver (or Tallinn Euros, but it wasn't clear he was choosing to pace himself) in 2010.

I found the Nijinsky program telegenic, but weak in the rink, and his ice coverage was limited. I was really looking forward to seeing this live, but was sorely disappointed. My favorite program of his I saw live was St. Petersburg 300, which he performed over two seasons, once as his championship FS, and then as his quali round program the following season.

Ka3sha

The Head of Novogorsk training center: around 50 figure skaters are arriving on Sunday
We are ready. If the minister reported to the president, then we are ready. We don’t have an arrival schedule for the whole National team, but I know for sure that about 50 skaters are coming on Sunday

Ka3sha

Am curious who will go to Novogorsk. Skaters from Moscow? St. Petersburg?
No one knows for sure yet. For now it seems that all athletes from the Main Team (36 skaters) and their coaches are going to Novogorsk, but what about reserve lists or juniors?

Another question is if there is any sense for St Petersburg athletes to come to Moscow just to train in Novogorsk (using planes or trains just to get there), especially since there are some rumors that rinks could be opened in St Petersburg pretty soon (not just for main team athletes, but for all professional skaters). And especially since the epidemiological situation in St Petersburg had been way better than in Moscow.
Also, there are coaches like Moskvina and Mishin who are in respectable age and at risk during this outbreak..

starrynight

Am curious who will go to Novogorsk. Skaters from Moscow? St. Petersburg? Both? Tutberidze's group without Tutberidze?

Out of the national team for the ladies - Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Shcherbakova and Kostornaya are in Russia and are probably ready to start training. Medvedeva is abroad somewhere. Not sure if Zagitova is ready to start again.

Wonder what happens with the coaches? That's Mishin, Plushenko's team, Tutberidze team would need to be there.

For pairs and dance there are also athletes and coaches who will need to be there.

The logistics of choosing who gets access will be interesting.

Also, there are coaches like Moskvina and Mishin who are in respectable age and at risk during this outbreak..

If St Petersburg will reopen the rinks soon, maybe they might choose to just wait? Or maybe just send the athletes down to Moscow to do a bit of preparations and then start the real work when they return to St Petersburg?

Tinami Amori

The coach, Oleg Sudakov, explains how Khuda/Bazin team was formed.

After Sofia's departure, we looked at several ladies skaters for Bazin. Our search stopped with Khuda. for many reasons, one is because of her body structure/configuration so similar to his previous partner (Sofia).It would be easier for the new team to adjust. We believe in the athletic future of this team.

The team will train in the city of Tolyatti, at the "Trud" Rink ("Labor" Rink), where Sudakov's team is located, and also in the suburbs of Moscow, other locations.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

First group of 54 skaters to relocate to Novogorsk Camp will be "Moscow skaters. Eteri's group" said the Head of Novogorsk training center

Bellanca

If St Petersburg will reopen the rinks soon, maybe they might choose to just wait? Or maybe just send the athletes down to Moscow to do a bit of preparations and then start the real work when they return to St Petersburg?
My sister, currently in St. Petersburg, has heard the rumors of reopening, but was also informed they would be one of the last to reopen. The source also said the situation was too fluid to really know. Of course, processing this, I’m thinking, okay, so are they or aren’t they getting back to business? However, she just got there (on assignment) from the countryside, where she said people are moving around more freely than expected. It doesn't sound as restrictive now. I’ll probably get an email next week, as emails can take a few days for us to receive on our end (always been that way) but I'm patient and thrilled they’re getting some (cautionary) action back on the ice again (in some cases) 👍

lala

I’ve been completely converted by that skate. I had heard people say that Plushenko is/was electric to see live.

It’s always just so exciting to find an old skating video that literally jumps out and basically punches you in the face with its awesomeness.

He is hypnotic to watch live. No matter what type of music he skates to, the crowd eat from his hands. But he likes the dramatic performance the most. If you didn't see

Carmina Burana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tACddIQUWkc

Adagio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4sxbyDGUqk

It's something special https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57grdU9z-70

to the Jackson Five https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfjdeVky2Lg&t=2m36s fun to watch!

The Sex Bomb is the most famous figure skating program ever( on facebook there is a video more than 46 millions viewers), but Plushenko is not only that.

Last edited:

mjb52

Aren't Tolyatti and Moscow pretty far apart? Looks like 13 hours or so by car. This situation is intriguing but confusing.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I thought Bazin had moved to Moscow to be coached by Samokhin?

I’d understand if they’d made a temporary move to Tolyatti at the moment but it’d be very unsettling for a new team to have two coaches/coaching locations so far apart as a permanent arrangement.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

New interview with Evgeny Rukavitsin

Bigbird

Aren't Tolyatti and Moscow pretty far apart? Looks like 13 hours or so by car. This situation is intriguing but confusing.
Seems to me it might have been better to stay with Filatov with DS and group. Tolyatti has no one else and hardly any resources. Pretty confusing. Sigh.

DobrinFan

From the federation's website. Novogorsk and Kislovodsk are the 2 training bases.

Russian national skaters plan to start training
May 23, 2020
Starting next week, Russian skaters plan to start training at the Olympic base in Novogorsk, and in early June at the federal sports base in Kislovodsk.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

It is said that people in districts near Moscow don't need QR codes anymore. In Moscow QR codes are still needed.
(Well, getting a QR code isn't difficult. Cities were not closed: people could go to Moscow and from Moscow.)

getting liberty :)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

RIA sport. Alina Zagitova is joining the training team in Novogorsk.
But she arriving few days later.

This is not in the link. info from other sources:
fyi - She is in Izhevsk now, and return arrangements have to be made for the family (including 2 dogs and 1 cat).
She may also stay in Moscow to take her High School State Completion Examination.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Aren't they going to test everyone first? Do they have available tests in Moscow?
I would hope so. And they'd need to test fairly regularly, everyone on site.

As long as the rigor meted out to the care of these athletes does not exceed that for frontline medics battling the disease all good.

Regretla

I think it's a bit less dangerous than opening the rinks and having the skaters train with the other skaters from the group not knowing where they have been before etc. But still even this solution poses a risk to the older coaches, I guess they will probably have to stay home and send the younger coaches of their groups to Novogorsk.

If I understood well, Eteri's group sessions will be arranged by age, Zhuk and Svinin will have a big group as well there, and all groups will live and dine separately and the rinks and rooms will be disinfected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information