From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinplus

And there you have it. Canada is talking about restricting province to province movement and everything is closed. Ontario has 2793 cases and quebec 4611, Japan has total 2362 cases. Japan has banned incoming from 73 countries and tomorrow April 3rd they will announce more travel restrictions. So it she is going to Japan to do the show this could be her last chance.

And who is to say things in Japan won't be closed down as their infections are rising?

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
It would make sense...Japan is in recovery stage while in Canada even with the lockdowns cases are soaring...They could issue a no fly edict at any point and it is possible EM might have to quarantine upon arrival for safety. At least this way she may be out of quarantine and allowed to practice when the time arrives.
Japan is not in the recovery stage. There was an outbreak in Hokkaido, and the passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Tokyo is currently seeing a surge of new cases and the government is concerned. Abe states that the health system is “barely holding the line”.
That doesn’t sound like a recovery to me.
Medvedeva is being incredibly irresponsible and selfish.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I just don't understand the reasoning. She's very likely to be stuck for months in Japan with nothing to do. If she'd been stuck for months in Canada with nothing to do, at least she'd be in familiar surroundings. She says she went with members of her team (which ones, I wonder); I can't believe none of them said "Wait, hold up, this probably isn't going to work out."

starrynight

The show has international cast members like Andrew Poje who is from Canada. So there’s all those issues for cast members who might not be interested in risking travel and quarantine (although they might be desperate for a pay cheque).

I dunno. Even if Japan gets everything under control I would expect they will still want to limit big public gatherings for some time. And be very resistant to allowing travel from infected countries too.

I wonder if this is just a roundabout way to try to get ice time? For example if Japan opens rinks before Russia and Canada?

I just think everyone needs to keep perspective and be responsible.

barbarafan

And who is to say things in Japan won't be closed down as their infections are rising?
They are rising swiftly in Canada...If things get worse in Japan they will shut down more things then would prob.cancel show. If she did not leave then for the show she may not get in Japan and then if show not cancelled she will not be able to get in the country.

greenapple

There is no IF things get worse in Japan. So far only remote islands in the South Pacific have been spared from anyone contracting it, so Japan will see cases rise just like every other nation. How many or how few remains to be seen, but given that countries like Canada were pro-active before it really took hold and yet is still dealing with rising numbers, it is almost impossible to imagine that any show will take place in Japan in June.

Andrew Poje won't be going anywhere because it seems very likely there will be a lockdown in the coming days in his home province of Ontario.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
She may be little, but she is amazingly fit and strong. In fact, I think she could have beaten the Russian guys pushup challenges. I'm pretty sure she isn't being starved.

starrynight

Read an interesting twitter thread that basically speculates that Medvedeva going to Japan is not so much about the show, but about getting access to training ice as the rinks are still open there. The show was a means of getting into the country before the border closes. As I understand it, when Canadian rinks closed, Medvedeva went to the USA (where they were still open). She then had to self-isolate when she returned to Canada (after the USA rinks closed).

Chasing ice to Japan sounds like a giant, irresponsible gamble that will probably just result in her being stuck somewhere or having to spend even more time in quarantine.

Does anyone know the situation in Japan? Is it even possible that the rinks remain open?

Given the border closures around the world, I can't really imagine any major international competitions occurring in 2020. Given that she's not a Canadian resident, I wonder if she has to leave Japan that she will have no choice but to go back to Russia? Even if she has been given a work visa to Japan, I don't think that they will let her stay there for the longer term.

It's interesting to me, because in my country right now if a major athlete did this, they would be criticised so harshly by the media etc it wouldn't even be worth the competitive edge they might get. But yet Medvedeva openly published her movements.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Apparently the rinks in Belarus are still open. Am surprised the Russian skaters did not end up there, taking they don't need a visa to travel to Belarus.

Tarasova/Morozov are back to Moscow and are `having a nice vacation' in their living rooms, according to Vaytsekhovskaya's latest interview with Zueva. Frankly, to me it sounds as if their vacation will never end and they will not go back to skating.

Medvedeva - am not sure what is her status in Canada, but there is a good chance staying there without a possibility to train was way too expensive and she had to leave anyway. Japan might had been chosen because the rinks are open, but perhaps because she simply has a visa...

hanca

Values her privacy
Medvedeva - am not sure what is her status in Canada, but there is a good chance staying there without a possibility to train was way too expensive and she had to leave anyway. Japan might had been chosen because the rinks are open, but perhaps because she simply has a visa...
I didn’t think staying in Japan would be cheaper than staying in Canada. If she left Canada for financial reasons, wouldn’t she go back to Russia?

barbarafan

Read an interesting twitter thread that basically speculates that Medvedeva going to Japan is not so much about the show, but about getting access to training ice as the rinks are still open there. The show was a means of getting into the country before the border closes. As I understand it, when Canadian rinks closed, Medvedeva went to the USA (where they were still open). She then had to self-isolate when she returned to Canada (after the USA rinks closed).

Chasing ice to Japan sounds like a giant, irresponsible gamble that will probably just result in her being stuck somewhere or having to spend even more time in quarantine.

Does anyone know the situation in Japan? Is it even possible that the rinks remain open?

Given the border closures around the world, I can't really imagine any major international competitions occurring in 2020. Given that she's not a Canadian resident, I wonder if she has to leave Japan that she will have no choice but to go back to Russia? Even if she has been given a work visa to Japan, I don't think that they will let her stay there for the longer term.

It's interesting to me, because in my country right now if a major athlete did this, they would be criticised so harshly by the media etc it wouldn't even be worth the competitive edge they might get. But yet Medvedeva openly published her movements.

Interesting plot. I wouldn't like to live in your head. Med went to the states and did the choreography for one of her programs after she did seminars in Mexico. She was with ShaeLyn and posted pictures in instagram. The US bad news was being covered up by their fearless president. Why don't spend your quarantine time looking for the good in people instead of dreaming up dirt on others. There is enough evil in the world that really exists without making it up.

starrynight

There is enough evil in the world that really exists without making it up.

Wondering why Medvedeva travels to Japan right now when all the advice around the world is to stay home makes me evil? lol cool.

The response of athletes to this whole thing has been interesting to observe. For the most part figure skaters and their coaches have been really sensible and responsible.

On the other end of the spectrum is Helmut Marko who is in charge of Red Bull motorsports (referenced in that twitter thread) who said he wants all his drivers to get infected with BB so they can develop resistance and get back to training faster.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Wondering why Medvedeva travels to Japan right now when all the advice around the world is to stay home makes me evil? lol cool.
You are not wondering...You are accusing a young girl. Her home is not Canada...it is Russia. Japan is her next committment she has made and as of yet it has not been cancelled. That is being responsible to one's committments. Unless the gig is cancelled she is where she needs to be next. If it does get cancelled it would make sense that she return to Russia where her life and family and friends are until it is safe to continue her career.

hanca

Values her privacy
Wow, he sounds as if he was unfairly sent to the prison. All he was asked is to stay at home for a week or two; is that so hard to do? Ice skating rinks are closed so he can’t coach anyway, skating shows has been cancelled; it is not as if he could work if he was allowed out, therefore he is not losing any money by staying at home. What’s his problem?

Bigbird

Wow, he sounds as if he was unfairly sent to the prison. All he was asked is to stay at home for a week or two; is that so hard to do? Ice skating rinks are closed so he can’t coach anyway, skating shows has been cancelled; it is not as if he could work if he was allowed out, therefore he is not losing any money by staying at home. What’s his problem?
Mid-life crisis. Old man stuck at home with his wife and child. A major catastrophe. LOL. I wonder how his wife feels.....

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Tarasova/Morozov are back to Moscow and are `having a nice vacation' in their living rooms, according to Vaytsekhovskaya's latest interview with Zueva. Frankly, to me it sounds as if their vacation will never end and they will not go back to skating.

Really? What makes you think so? I haven't seen the interview, so I'm just curious.

Perky Shae Lynn

Unless you know exactly what the circumstances are (financial, work obligations, family situation, etc.) - it's nothing more than baseless accusations. Simmer down.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Medvedeva is my favorite lady skater. And regardless of the reason for her travel to Japan, I feel it is ill-advised and irresponsible. And no, I don't know all of the background behind it, I'm just a medical professional who knows that the majority of the world is on a lockdown because of the current situation, so no need to lecture me.

RoseRed

That may be why she went to Japan, but don't think the US part is true. That's just someone trying to make her look worse (and I don't think she should have gone to Japan). As @barbarafan pointed out, she didn't just go to the US to skate. She went to meet Shae-Lynn and get choreo done, which was probably already scheduled.

Also, I'm not sure when she left, but she was in California by at the latest March 9th. I don't know about the TCC rink, but things in Canada were not shut down yet by then. She would 100% still have been able to find rink time around Toronto at the point when she left for the US.

Perky Shae Lynn

Medvedeva is my favorite lady skater. And regardless of the reason for her travel to Japan, I feel it is ill-advised and irresponsible. And no, I don't know all of the background behind it, I'm just a medical professional who knows that the majority of the world is on a lockdown because of the current situation, so no need to lecture me.
It's a no win situation right now. I have several clients with international contractual obligations that have not been terminated or rescheduled as of now. We've been trying to figure out what to do. Until Wimbledon got cancelled (only 4 days ago, despite a full-blown crisis in the UK), players were preparing to participate in the tournament. And travel from Monaco and other locations. Part of the issue is that businesses (including promoters) do not have "pandemic insurance" and are looking at huge losses. One of my clients needs the income from an obligation to support his personal training business. He is toast without it. This is a crazy situation. In any case, stay safe and take care of yourself.

muffinplus

If things were to bad really bad, would she have insurance in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information