From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

Russia closed borders for foreigners on March, 18. After that date international flights could arrive only to Moscow Scheremetievo airport and were mostly governmental ones (operated by Aeroflot) in order to help all Russian people abroad to make it back to Russia.

It depends on what to call a state-controlled quarantine. All people returning to Russia have to stay at their homes for 14 days, they have to fill in forms and questionnaires in the airport and etc.
A friend of mine returned from the US and she has described the procedure on her social media. On the next day after her arrival, a policeman came to her apt to check if she was at home. Then a doctor also came in three days to check if she has any symptoms. She felt ok, had no increased body temperature but her throat was a bit sore, so the doctor decided to test her for BB (The test turned out to be negative later).
Another friend of mine lives in Vienna now and was thinking about coming back to Russia during these difficult times. In the end she decided to stay in Vienna after contracting Russian authorities - she doesn’t have her own place in St Petersburg and in case she had decided to return to Russia, not only she would have to stay in quarantine for 14 days, but also her parents (since she would have been staying with them).
They have turned one of the motels near St Petersburg into a closed place for those who don’t stay in quarantine at their homes after return. Police find those people and send them to that motel for 14 days.

That’s how the situation is in St Petersburg, can’t be sure about other regions/cities.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Sharm-al-Sheikh has seen evacuations due to terrorism in the Sinai. WTF were they thinking?
As far as I know, Russia had only few direct flights to Egypt (mostly Moscow-Cairo), due to political situation.
Very ‘surprising’ choice of place for family vacation, even if you don’t take current situation into consideration :confused:

starrynight

Russia closed borders for foreigners on March, 18. Since that date international flights could arrive only to Moscow Scheremetievo airport and were mostly governmental ones (operated by Aeroflot) in order to help all Russian people abroad to make it back to Russia.

Thanks! It seems odd to me then that Trusova’s family waited so late to return?

Isn’t Sharm-al-Sheikh the place where there was that awful terror attack on the Russian plane?

muffinplus

Russia closed borders for foreigners on March, 18. Since that date international flights could arrive only to Moscow Scheremetievo airport and were mostly governmental ones (operated by Aeroflot) in order to help all Russian people abroad to make it back to Russia.

From what I understand March 30 is a total closure of borders for other means of transit? I saw a few articles but I'm not sure if it applies to nationals vs foreigners

Last edited:

muffinplus

Thanks! It seems odd to me then that Trusova’s family waited so late to return?

Isn’t Sharm-al-Sheikh the place where there was that awful terror attack on the Russian plane?

It seems like the commercial flights were suspended on March 27:

Tinami Amori

Sasha Trusova is back home and safe..
IG tag "Cheers from me and my team ADIDAS.
Voiceover: "Cheers from me and my team ADIDAS. I am on quaranteine, continueing with training (gym, at home), and studying my school courses for end of the year exam. Stay healthy."

FYI: Trusova's family left Moscow for Egypt (vacation) right after the cancellation of Worlds was announced. It was before the info about specific restrictions or boarder closures where announced (in Russia).

At the time when cancelling of the Worlds was announced, it seemed logical to take vacation outside of "hot areas for xxxxxx" and right away, in case the Worlds would be moved to a later time in Spring or Summer. The more precise info about everything (connected with this xxxxxx) became available in Russia after 20th of march...

PS - where is Russia and Egypt..... and where is USA and Canada on the list...?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Sofia Vazhnova - Novice, young talented skater, from CSKA, "Quaranteine - no reason to stop practicing" (in play yard).

Few of her interesting performance.

Also - Lubov Rubtchova - novice - 3A on the ground in building's play yard. Trains in Sambo-70, by S. Rozanov.

last competition's skate.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Russia closed its border with China January 30th!
Not just China. The President of Belorussia, Mr. Lukhoshenko, is openly and publicly ticked off, that Russia is closing the borders with Belorussia as well. He thinks there is no need and no danger.

Just an FYI - the flight that got Trusova's family ex Egypt to DME (Moscow, Domodedovo) was not Aeroflot but Belavia (flight B29702).

Belorussia is helping a lot with passengers going back to Russia but have their segment of the flight cancelled. Belorussia has not cancelled many of their foreign destinations, and their airline is allowed to fly.

barbarafan

Eteri is apparently in US ( Miami) - but don't know if this one is a rumor or not though? Cannot find any sources. Guessing she went to the US to be with Diana? I forgot if Eteri has citizenship there as well, if not I don't even know why they are in the US?

Totmianina went to Thailand for vacation with her children (was there on March 20!!!) and just got back though I'm not surprised given that her husband is a moron.... well that whole famlly is
Eteri was married to an American and Diana was born in the US. Eteri would have been eligible to get US citizenship so it would make sense especially seeing as you can retain your original citizenship in both US and Canada.

Ka3sha

Oleg Vasiliev tested positive for BB..
He called the doctors after his wife and daughter came back from Switzerland, the whole family is waiting for the second test and are at home right now

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Well, according to the media (and friends in Moscow confirm) Moscow is locked down - people have QR codes which state where they live and they are only allowed going to the closest supermarket/take the trash out/100m from home.

zebraswan

There will be more cases in FS. Unfortunate, but it is literally everywhere now. And some people continue to downplay the seriousness or act like people in sports were fine to keep training and congregating - because they "get tested all the time" - give me a break!!! :rolleyes: Look how many of our basketball players have it.

I really hope Oleg will recover...I'm sure he's pretty active for his age, but nobody can be sure how it will affect them. And I hope very much that nobody he works with was exposed.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Well, according to the media (and friends in Moscow confirm) Moscow is locked down - people have QR codes which state where they live and they are only allowed going to the closest supermarket/take the trash out/100m from home.

The bit about QR codes is news to Tiff and my friends in Moscow?
They don't have QR codes?

Tinami Amori

That's what this article said. My friends were mainly discussing the `what if I hate smart phones and can't even receive the QR code, nevermind show it'. IIUC they haven't yet received anything of the kind
Probably those without smart-phones will have to go to or to contact some existing or newly created government office and get an address confirmation/verification on paper (based on ownership proof or rental agreement of the unit they reside at), with a photograph, for all family members without a phone, and carry it with them...

Last edited:

Ka3sha

St Petersburg will be also on total lockdown starting from tomorrow. No info about QR codes yet, but I can confirm what @TAHbKA said about Moscow/QR codes (also got this from Moscow friends)

Amy L

I found an interesting interview with the former pair skater Ekaterina Borisova:

Auto translate works well. She had to stop competing because she contracted meningitis and came back too early :yikes:, which gave her heart complications. She now skates in cruise ships, so obviously right now she is not working. She's still friends with Amina Atakhanova, and then I found a link to an older article about her:

The auto translate doesn't work as well as the other interview, but it's still understandable. Amina was one of my favorite junior skaters, and I was sad that she had to quit due to a knee injury that wouldn't heal.

She speaks very highly of Nikita Volodin, they are still friends and she even helped his new partner Taisiya Sobinina when they first got together. She didn't have an amicable breakup with Ilia Spiridonov, but they made up enough to where they no longer have animosity but are still not friends. Amina is going to enroll in university to become a coach; she wants to train pairs. As of last autumn, she was working with Elena Berezhnaya. She's choreographed for the small children at her rink and has been a performer in Elena's shows.

She also claims that Natalia Pavlova never weighed her. This was the same coach that almost killed Julia Antipova, so hopefully she learned from that.

I think pair girls are very fascinating little creatures, so both interviews were interesting reads!

starrynight

How does the 100m rule work for someone like Zagitova who has a dog that needs walking? Does she just have to walk the dog in short laps around her block?

Eislauffan

Oleg Vasiliev tested positive for BB..
He called the doctors after his wife and daughter came back from Switzerland, the whole family is waiting for the second test and are at home right now

Apparently this news article is not correct. He and his family have been tested after his wife's trip to Switzerland, but they are waiting for the result. It's too early to say he tested positive.

These tests are a problem anyway. When you are just infected the test might be negative. You need several tests apparently before you can be sure. The German chancellor Angela Merkel was tested three times by now after being in contact with a doctor that meanwhile tested positive. So far Merkel's tests all were negative, but she still remains in home quarantine.

hanca

Values her privacy
An 8-year old, "Elena Kostileva" (CSKA/Boyanova/Davydov), solidly lands 3Lz-3T.
Again, she is only 8 years, 5 months old... and yet is able to do these jumps of high difficulty.
Just realised how many Russian skaters seem to have their surname based on ‘bones’. (Kost)
Kostornaya, Kostiuk, Kostiukovich, Kostileva...

Tinami Amori

How does the 100m rule work for someone like Zagitova who has a dog that needs walking? Does she just have to walk the dog in short laps around her block?
Zagitova's family recently moved out of their old 2-room very old rented flat and bought finally their own apartment with few more rooms. From the photos (very rare to find) it looks like it is a newly built modern apartment, they usually have enough space and grass segments to walk the dog or for kids to play. Even the old style apartments usually come in sections of 2-3-4 buildings which also share a large yard/square. 100 meters is enough to walk a dog and run with her along the buildings. The area outside most apartments will pretty much look like this - modern and old-soviet built.
old style...

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Just realised how many Russian skaters seem to have their surname based on ‘bones’. (Kost)
Kostornaya, Kostiuk, Kostiukovich, Kostileva...
except that none of the listed family names' roots have anything to do with "bones" (kosti). The history of these last names each have their own longer roots and meanings..
Kostileva - is linked (originates from) the word "crutches" - kostil' or kostyl'
Kostiuk and Kostukovich - are versions of old greek version of name "Konstantin", the short version of which is "Kostya".
Kostornaya - origin is the word "koster" which means "bonfire" and has links to turkish...

I have links in Russian if you want to read more details and versions of name origins...

hanca

Values her privacy
except that none of the listed family names' roots have anything to do with "bones" (kosti). The history of these last names each have their own longer roots and meanings..
Kostileva - is linked (originates from) the word "crutches" - kostil' or kostyl'
Kostiuk and Kostukovich - are versions of old greek version of name "Konstantin", the short version of which is "Kostya".
Kostornaya - origin is the word "koster" which means "bonfire" and has links to turkish...

I have links in Russian if you want to read more details and versions of name origins...
I see. I thought Russians must be obsessed with bones! ;)

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
CAS to hold hearings on WADA-RUSADA dispute on second week of July
1260117.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information