From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Sylvia

TBD
Youth Olympic Games figure skating medal count for Russia so far:

GOLD (1): Apollinariia Panfilova & Dmitry Rylov (pairs)
SILVER (2): Diana Mukhametzianova & Ilya Mironov (pairs) & Andrei Mozalev
BRONZE (1): Daniil Samsonov

Tomorrow's YOG events:

In 1st after the RD: Irina Khavronina & Dario Cirisano (he was born in Crotone, ITA)
In 2nd after the RD: Sofya Tyutyunina & Alexander Shustitskiy

In 2nd after the SP: Kseniia Sinitsyna
In 3rd after the SP: Anna Frolova

Re-posting thiss interesting tidbit here from the YOG Ice Dance thread in the Kiss & Cry section:
His [Cirisano's] mother is Russian, father - Italian. He was born in Italy and they lived there all together until his parents divorced. When he was 5, his mother and Dario moved to Russia.

MorganaLefay

With all due respect to Liza's amazing technical progress, her non-jump elements have not improved and no one in her camp is even paying any attention to those. I would watch Miyahara or even Konstantinova, not to mention Kostornaya any day over Liza, although Liza's tenacity is quite admirable.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
With all due respect to Liza's amazing technical progress, her non-jump elements have not improved and no one in her camp is even paying any attention to those. I would watch Miyahara or even Konstantinova, not to mention Kostornaya any day over Liza, although Liza's tenacity is quite admirable.

She's perfectly aware she needs to bring up her PCS -- she's said so. Now, whether she'll manage to do it remains to be seen. But to say no one's paying attention isn't accurate.

Ka3sha

I find it to be more Mishin’s problem rather then Liza’s. As @Wyliefan said, she is perfectly aware of her flaws and is ready work on some of them. But at the same time she has a chronic back injury, so she can’t really work on her spins, I guess.
As for her PCS. Yes , her ice coverage is pretty small and she has very few transitions , but the same can be said about someone like Trusova.
She is ready to try new choreographers and spend her own $$$ on it (something very uncommon for Russian skaters). I think that her SP to Florence and the Machine was actually pretty good and did have some transitions in it :lol: It gave us a more edgy and modern look on Liza.
But once again she had to fought for this program and asked Mishin to get back to it.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Interview with Stanislava Konstantinova

- Stasia, the first half of the season came to an end after Russian Nationals.
-
The beginning of the season was quite good - I took part in the festival in the USA as a preparation for the season, then there were test skates. They went with some errors, but also not bad, and then ... Then there was a crisis, from which I am still trying to get out.

- What are the reasons?
- There was some reappraisal. I worked-worked, coped with problems, knew that I could do it, knew that you can never give up. At some point, I turned off these thoughts, and at that very moment it struck me.
I began to doubt myself, to think - what is wrong with me? Or maybe something is fundamentally wrong with me? It was a very a painful moment. So painful that three weeks after I couldn’t manage to tune in for an event in Bratislava. Plus, my skates broke at that time.

- One “joy” after “another”...
- That's for sure, and it didn’t add any great emotions at all. And then it was time for the Grand Prix event in the USA and it was a complete collapse, failure. I worked a lot after that, tried to disconnect, did everything, and then I became satisfied with myself, I saw the difference. And then the Grand Prix in Moscow came and that fall on lutz. And I panicked! And the more mistakes you make, the more you panic.

- And then there was an error in the free.
- A small one, and not that was upset or tired of fighting. It just happens that way sometimes - the athlete is clamped, and that’s it. And he can no longer do more.

- Stasia, you try to add difficulty all the time, but have you ever thought about concentrating on what is already there? Or you have to break through the walls with your head in figure skating?
- I think it's good to fight a little bit. But, probably, it is necessary to differentiate everything to the maximum, so that all of this doesn’t affect elements I already know how to do. Plus you have to be confident, because sometimes you can’t even show a quarter of what you can do.

- Since we are talking about numbers. Is your high double axel a good base for a triple axel? Do I understand correctly that you are still thinking about it?
- Of course! No matter how difficult it is. It is foolish to limit yourself to the limits of your own abilities. I couldn’t get axel back from this summer - it was either better or worse. Problems are with technique and weight.

- Nevertheless, you have your own strengths.
- I understand that each has its own advantages. For example, after September test skates I didn’t have any doubts about my future. I told myself: I can skate for as long as I want. And if something doesn’t work out now, don’t be so upset - it won’t make situation better. If you have a great wish and work hard, everything is possible. And there are many worthy examples. People came back from oblivion, and how!

The same can be said about Liza Tuktamysheva - whom I infinitely respect and admire, even despite the fact that she is my rival. Or Carolina Costner, who gives people a great joy.
I work very hard, I work on such an exertion, as if I am squeezing out all the juices from myself. But now I think - maybe it’s better to work with a bright head otherwise this eternal race for the result won’t be that successful. Yes, I had a panic attack. But I love to skate. And further, even if I am left without a Grand Prix, I can take part in Russian Cup events and even at the “gas station championships” [in Russia it’s a name small local events] I will do it - I like to skate.

- Many are already retiring at 19 nowadays.
- Many of us try not to read the comments. It hurts when people write: "you have to retire"; "you take someone's place." When a person has a particular profession, does his job day after day, doesn’t cope with something, and you tell him - go and look for another job, you have nothing to do here. Or when person studies at a university, studies for a long time, but they tell him - go and look for another one, what have you forgotten here? How is that even possible?

I understood for myself - there are people who just like you and there are those who really care about you. Yes, I’m not looking for excuses for my unsuccessful events - you are an athlete, you must do it, even if they wake you in the middle of the night. But personally I have decided for myself - I will fight. I have time and energy. And I am sure I’ll pull myself out of this mess, out wherever I will have to.

- How important is your communication with your coach in difficult situations?
- We try to minimize communication on the ice. Valentina Mikhailovna, as a coach, says what to do and I do it. Or ask my opinion. Yes, I like to talk, to philosophize, but in that case she says to me: "We will discuss this after the practice is over." On the ice she is demanding, and if I need her support in life we have another type of communication.

- What qualities you think you are lacking? What would you like to learn?
- Probably, reckless courage. Without additional questions like "what if," "what if suddenly something happens."

- Strange, you don’t look like a timid girl.
- I am brave, but sometimes I allow myself to doubt myself. I am very self-critical and demanding.

-Perhaps you need to slow down in this regard? Self-criticism is wonderful, but doubts about your own’s strengths are not that good.
- That’s true, it’s a kind of excess. And I would also wish myself to become thick-skinned. They say: "you are not in great shape," "you have gained weight." And I want just to plug my ears, sit and cry.
But when I felt the support of the audience at the Moscow Grand Prix, I felt it and the excitement has returned. And no matter how great is someone’s wish to take a break, to promise yourself "I will return as a new man," we must fight. Returning after a pause in our sport is incredibly difficult. Show, work, study, and you're already living a different life. The progress in our sport is unrealistic, so skate, solve your problems, do what you should, get ready for the next start and show what you can do. But it’s not easy to go out, knowing that people are expecting another failure from you.

- But are other people's expectations important for you?
- Probably not now. I want to be the best version of myself, and I understand that this season will be a turning point for me. I’m not going to pause and don’t want to, I want to keep myself in shape. And I have many plans for the next season.

Tinami Amori

Leonid Sviridenko (St. Pete. beat Danielian at 5th Cup of Russia) lands his 4th type of quad - 4T (he already has 4S, 4F, 4Lo). He posts "it took me over a year and a half to get the full turns right").

Sofia Titova (Angels of Pluschenko) learning 3A

Makar Ignatov - quads/quad seq.

Tinami Amori

Anna Nevskaya-Pogorilaya - in "Snow Queen" ice show.

The Bukin Family - "Polovetzkie Dances" - Sr. vs. Jr. - side-by-side comparison.

mjb52

It still blows my mind that Bestemianova and Bukin were never married. I thought they were for like three decades until finally finding out they weren't last year or so. I think with so many married Soviet pairs/dance teams I just assumed they were too.

puglover

Well, I am not sure why but I thought Tatiana Volosozhar was married to Stanislav Morozov and I thought how awkward it must be for him to be an assistant coach when she partnered with Maxim Trankov and the chemistry between them was evident.

Amy L

I thought Volosozhar and Stas Morozov were an item for a long time? I recalled they were still together when he decided to retire, and Max had a long-term girlfriend when V/T began. They had some pretty immediate chemistry and their other relationships ended fairly quickly after.

Elka

It still blows my mind that Bestemianova and Bukin were never married. I thought they were for like three decades until finally finding out they weren't last year or so. I think with so many married Soviet pairs/dance teams I just assumed they were too.
Well, you are not the only one. They even wrote a book about it. "Пара, в которой трое" The couple, where there are three. IIRC it was around 2011.

Tinami Amori

They were always good friends and partners.
Bestemianova, since she was young, dated and then married Igor Bobrin, a single skater then and later a coach, they married in 1983, when Besty was still competing, till 1989 (?).

In the same time frame, Bukin Sr. was dating another skater, Olga Abankina, they also married in 1982 or '83. He later had a 2nd wife (E. Vasukova), and the son Ivan Bukin.

I thought Volosozhar and Stas Morozov were an item for a long time?
They were pretty much сommon law husband and wife. In Russian it is called "cohabitation partners" - "жили вместе".

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova, Anna Shcherbakova, Alexandra Trusova, Alena Kostornaya - foto session.
For Tatler Magazine, modeling new clothing line - Zimmerman Fashion Summer 2020.

IG Video:

Tina was not forgotten..

Few fotos:

Designer info: https://www.zimmermannwear.com/us/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NKjv82B5wIVBffjBx2jdg5wEAAYASAAEgLoBvD_BwE

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

1) Elena Radinova - Solo performance (ice+concert show) - Carpe Omnis 2020

2) Here are some videos ad clips from Pluschenko's show "Cinderella".
There is no official full video of the show (yet), but there is a fairly good full-show fan recording, and some clips. When/if official video comes available, i will post it in its own thread.

Fan recording (full show).
Upper level seats center-left side view.

Upper level seats - right side view

Radionova and Ryabova (and Sandhu) - "Evil Step Sisters" in Plushenko's Cinderella.

Lipnitskaya and Dima Bilan

with Yulia Lipnitskaya as "Cinderella"

with Pluschenko as "prince"

with Gnom-Gnomych - baby-Pluschenko

More partial clips of the show.

Original promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpTcOM70r0

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Youth Olympic Games figure skating medal count for Russia so far:

GOLD (1): Apollinariia Panfilova & Dmitry Rylov (pairs)
SILVER (2): Diana Mukhametzianova & Ilya Mironov (pairs) & Andrei Mozalev
BRONZE (1): Daniil Samsonov
More YOG medals:
GOLD: Irina Khavronina & Dario Cirisano
SILVER: Sofya Tyutyunina & Alexander Shustitskiy
SILVER: Kseniia Sinitsyna
BRONZE: Anna Frolova

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Bobrin also choreographed some wonderful programs.
... and prior to that created few comedy routines for his own exhibitions.
parody of pairs skating
"newbie skater"
"sleeping cowbow"
(which he repeated at a show in later years)

This exhibition number he originally called "The waiter" but the Sports Committee for some odd reasons forbade to use this title for the number, and Bobrin had to rename it as "Garcon".

The "classic" one was "Musketeer"

In the 1980's he started his own Ice Show, at the time called "The Teatre of Ice Miniatures", and it still exists, at least up to 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information