From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I loved Lipnitskaya and am still sad what happened. However I know her jump quality wasn’t good and when she grew that was it. I’m always a sucker for bendy spin positions so that was probably what won me over. I have seen on YouTube there is a baby Russian who does very similar spins so I just need to wait 5 or so years till she moves up :lol:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
All I want is that there is a clever camera person at Nationals grabbing various coaches faces and while I'm very grateful there will be a stream hosted by Ted Barton, I'm a little sad that I won't get to hear Tarasova yelling. Not that I understand a word of Russian, but you can tell by her tone of voice what her point is. We will have to rely on the Russian speakers on board to insert her comments into the PBP.

hanca

Values her privacy
All I want is that there is a clever camera person at Nationals grabbing various coaches faces and while I'm very grateful there will be a stream hosted by Ted Barton, I'm a little sad that I won't get to hear Tarasova yelling. Not that I understand a word of Russian, but you can tell by her tone of voice what her point is. We will have to rely on the Russian speakers on board to insert her comments into the PBP.
There is usually no yelling. There will be various noises, from moaning with pleasure, to heavy breathing, sighs, and various noises that are hard to identify... (At times I am wondering what exactly she is doing there, and I am tempted to offer some money for them to put a tiny picture of her in the screen corner, so that I know what’s going on there).

muffinplus

Not so much linguistics, but this is the definition of the skating skills. As you can see it includes more than only gliding

While skating skills is a broader term..A lot of people do use "skating skills" colloquially to talk about gliding. Not sure why it's important

Am just curious - have you ever seen her skating while sitting on the rink? Because it took me seeing Patrick Chan skating live to understand why he is a different league and what is the real difference between him and the rest of the field. His gliding did not look so much different than, say, Pluschenko's on the TV.
The same goes with Sotnikova - her gliding was superior to those she competed with. Fortunately for her she never competed with Chan, Hanuy, Abbott, Verner, Brown, Kozuka, Lambiel, Vassilevski or Uno

No I have not seen her live but that doesn't necessarily preclude me from having an opinion?.. she is nowhere near the best in "glide" or "skating skills" ...not even close to the best female contemporaries she competed against (Yuna Kim) Her edges are not amazing, her flow is average. I don't know why we are comparing her against other Russian female skaters. Being better than some Russian ladies doesn't make you great or wonderful.

Perky Shae Lynn

Can someone tell me whether the supposed comments from Eteri's sister (basicallty calling Zagitova lazy) are real? I am so confused by the Russian drama at this point. I am here with my popcorn. But not loving this part if true.

Perky Shae Lynn

There is usually no yelling. There will be various noises, from moaning with pleasure, to heavy breathing, sighs, and various noises that are hard to identify... (At times I am wondering what exactly she is doing there, and I am tempted to offer some money for them to put a tiny picture of her in the screen corner, so that I know what’s going on there).
My goodness, this is quiet a VIVID description.

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova and Tatiana Navka were guests on "Night Urgant" on Russia Channel #1, talking about "Sleeping Beauty" show and skating in general.

Video with english translations hopefully soon be available. In the mean time few fotos and a link.

Polaris

Are you sure you want to know?

Tinami Amori

Can someone tell me whether the supposed comments from Eteri's sister (basicallty calling Zagitova lazy) are real? I am so confused by the Russian drama at this point. I am here with my popcorn. But not loving this part if true.
It's not that simple.... :2faced:
In a nut-shell. A bunch of people, pretending to be "Zagi-fans" (and they were not, other "eager beavers" checked them out), attacked Eteri's IG, accusing her of failing her girls (various issues) and listed about every girl she ever trained.

Eteri's sister got involved, and posted a "general reply" to all issues, something like (my recall) "well, if one does not miss practices, does not get capricious, works hard, etc.. (few other ifs), one would succeed and would not have to blame coaches". She did not name anyone particular. People started to attribute those comments to the "skater of their choice" - Lip, Med, Zagi, etc. Media and bloggers picked it up and linked it to Zagi.

It's pretty much coming from the same "corner" where the rumors "Kostornaia is permanently injured or she moved to CSKA" and "Valieva is in a cast, will never skate again".... :lol:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
While skating skills is a broader term..A lot of people do use "skating skills" colloquially to talk about gliding. Not sure why it's important
A lot of people are saying a lot of things, I gave you a link to the ISU definition
No I have not seen her live but that doesn't necessarily preclude me from having an opinion?
Ah, ok, so basically you have no idea what you are talking about. Bye

muffinplus

A lot of people are saying a lot of things, I gave you a link to the ISU definition

I have no idea why because I didn't ask for one...you corrected me referring to "glide" as "skating skills", when as I said, that's something that's used colloquially for glide.

Ah, ok, so basically you have no idea what you are talking about. Bye

So according to you, your opinion is a fact of life that trumps all because you have seen her live? Sense of entitlement /superiority complex much??? OK, bye. :lol:

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

I have no idea why because I didn't ask for one...you corrected me referring to "glide" as "skating skills", when as I said, that's something that's used colloquially for glide.

So according to you, your opinion is a fact of life that trumps all because you have seen her live? Sense of entitlement /superiority complex much??? OK, bye. :lol:
I love it. Questioning @TAHbKA's knowledge of skating. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

muffinplus

I love it. Questioning @TAHbKA's knowledge of skating. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because nobody is allowed to be questioned? :lol: I don't think you understand the difference between disagreeing with with someone insists their opinion is fact is not the same as questioning someone's knowledge. Seriously, this place feels like it has such a giant clique vibe sometimes (or like 70 percent of the time?)...

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The comments are real. The context however, is questionable (I never saw what was she replying to) and she never named Zagitova (for all I know she could be writing about Lipnitskaya or Medvedeva or any other hypothetical skater)
The only place where she did name Zagitova is `Alina will be fine'. Not particularly scandalous.

Perky Shae Lynn

Because nobody is allowed to be questioned? :lol: I don't think you understand the difference between disagreeing with when someone insists their opinion is fact vs questioning someone's knowledge. Seriously, this place feels like it has such a giant clique vibe...
Oh you can question anything. But you keep questioning things that are obvious. You can argue ad nauseam, but it doesn't make you right. So no, you are not arguing with an "opinion", you are arguing with an ISU definition. But in the immortal words of Bill Clinton, ""It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is", right? In a broader sense, anything can be anything.

Perky Shae Lynn

The comments are real. The context however, is questionable (I never saw what was she replying to) and she never named Zagitova (for all I know she could be writing about Lipnitskaya or Medvedeva or any other hypothetical skater)
The only place where she did name Zagitova is `Alina will be fine'. Not particularly scandalous.
Context is everything. But classy anyway. :rolleyes:

Tinami Amori

Are you sure you want to know?
There is no need for "tiny picture" of TAT, she is often shown full-screen with her antics... and actually, not many people like it that much, especially regular audience (vs. devoted fans) who just want to see skating as a show. TAT's gifs are common.

The latest one is her reply to the press "Go all to hell, all of you!".

The drama is not over. Now there is a squabble between Plushenko and TAT, on something he said about Tarasova back in 2017, which is viewed as an insult.
The part of the original interview is posted today: Evgeniy Plushenko "Tarasova is not an authority to me with her opinions. In her work she always displayed unsportsmanlike behavior".

Two time Olympic Champion Evgeniy Plushenko talks about his opinion about the Honored Coach of Russia, Tatiana Tarasova.

Q: Has anyone tried to poach you from Mishin?
EP: Tatiana Anatolievna Tarasova tried to poach me. And she attempted it throw Kolya (Nikolay) Morozov. It was in 2001. Before the SLC Olympics. After one of the competitions we were sitting the Nikolay Morozov in a hall-way, talking. He told me directly: "Oh, never mind that Yagudin, he is nothing...".. that was the year when i beat Yagudin everywhere, at every event possible... "Come to America with Tatiana Anatolievna, we'll train and practice together" tried to entice me Morozov, with all his "come on, come on, come on".. But i abruptly refused. Nothing since then, that was the only case in my history.

Q: Did Tarasova ever tried to give you an advise?
EP: Of course not, and could not possibly, because we were in a head-on competition with Yagudin. At the tournaments we each walked in different directions.

Q: And before Yagudin?
EP: No, never. And i would not have listened to her anyway. The opinion of Tatiana Anatolievna holds no authority for me. I respect her accomplishments, and if came to me and offered an advise, i would be polite and say "thank you very much". But would not take any of her information.

Q: Is she not a great coach?
EP: Maybe she is great... but not for me. I simply know so much information about the behavior (what's happening) in her group, her own behavior, that can simply say, as soft as possible, it is unsportsmanlike. And when there is an unsportsmanlike behavior, even if you win medals, it's the lowest of the low. Besides, it took place not just in men singles, but in all other disciplines where she trained. She is a good psychologist, but as far as a coach - i don't know".

The original interview was on R-sport. It's longer, google-translates well (he talks a bit about Yagudin, how Medvedeva is behind Radionova and Sakhanovich in some aspects, Zhulin, other men skaters he knows).

zebraswan

Does anyone at the higher levels of Russian skating actually like each other? I guess at least you always know where you stand with such brutal honesty. Not sure if it's better or worse than the kind of fake superficial niceties and bland PR speak you typically find in the US, while so many disturbing things are going on behind the scenes.

Maybe Ted Barton will gather everyone together to sing "Kumbaya" after the medal ceremonies...

aftershocks

Banned Member
I wonder whether one of the reasons Ted Barton is doing the commentating is because there is such widespread interest throughout skating in what's going to happen at Russian Nationals, especially among the Russian ladies and Russian pairs disciplines.

Tinami Amori

Does anyone at the higher levels of Russian skating actually like each other? I guess at least you always know where you stand with such brutal honesty.

Some have old time alliances and friendships, and those stand (unless a serious conflict of interest). Some are linked for professional and financial and at times strategic interests, which come and go.

There is also "art of war", "36 stratagems" "the prince" tactics and sentiments - "enemy of an enemy is a friend", "friend of an enemy is enemy", "enemy of a friend is enemy", "weaken the enemy by hands of others", "divide and conquer", "befriend and consume his energy fighting others, then get him", etc..

And then there are true friendships and respectful relationships, few.. but there are.

Perky Shae Lynn

UPDATE: Oh yes she did. Look at what he just posted on his Instagram. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Can someone translate? I will take a stab at it: "How dare anyone insult the legendary TAT? Just look at her achievements. She is an amazing person and a great coach. I personally would die for her. Why can't we all get along, people?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information