From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Tinami Amori

That’s Tsareva’s daughter, Maria Zhakarova, who qualified to junior nationals. I think she is 12.
Yes, she did. Maria was showing good results last two seasons.

2018 her programmes

2019 her programmes

Mad for Skating

Alina Zagitova's Shiseido "Alina Red" advertisements: 1 video, several versions, for TV, electronic billboards and smart-phones, of various length and content.

Alina Zagitova's new TV/elect. billoard advertisement/contract with "Aqua Minerale - Active".

Tatiana Navka skating fragments from "Sleeping Beauty" with Zagitova (promo show on Red Square - 2 segments).

Alina is so stunning.

Mad for Skating

I agree. Wow! Alina is turning out to be the Russian equivalent of Peggy Fleming-1968! What USFS and NBC would give to have a gorgeous USA female-singles champion with these classic looks...a face to launch 1,000 media campaigns...and put “butts in seats” at live skating shows.

We had Gracie Gold a few years back and USFS definitely used her as a poster girl. It’s too bad nothing lasts forever.
But back on the topic of Russian skating, Alina is gorgeous and I hope she is featured in many more ads to come, if she wants.

Finsta

US has many attractive singles skating girls. Your comment is shameful. To insult an entire US team in attempt to make Alina look pretty is childish. Shame on you

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
We had Gracie Gold a few years back and USFS definitely used her as a poster girl. It’s too bad nothing lasts forever.
But back on the topic of Russian skating, Alina is gorgeous and I hope she is featured in many more ads to come, if she wants.

Peggy lasted a very long time...still our icon of skating beauty! :) Gracie - a lovely hope in 2013-15 seasons...maybe back soon?

Frau Muller

Was just watching “Novosti” (news) on Russia Channel 1. Alina featured in the opening of the big ice rink on Red Square for the holidays! Also Navka, looking great. Maybe one of our Russia based members can download?

Finsta

I think a lot of US girls are attractive but it’s been a long time since we have had a champion or even a ladies Olympic medalist
But that’s not what poster said. She said US needs a singles champion with a pretty face to get butts in seats. That’s insulting to US champions. Alina is a cute child, but to insult an entire US team and imply unattractiveness is wrong.

LoopCombo

But that’s not what poster said. She said US needs a singles champion with a pretty face to get butts in seats. That’s insulting to US champions. Alina is a cute child, but to insult an entire US team and imply unattractiveness is wrong.
Maybe she meant US champion as in US Olympic champion — and the US hasn’t had a ladies Olympic champion in a while at this point. Also, I don’t see how the comment had anything to do with race as a previous poster suggested. It is possible to think that the current US ladies are beautiful, but to lament that the US has no recent Olympic champion — like Alina.

feraina

A gorgeous champion with ‘these classic looks’ — it did immediately occur to me that the poster meant a white woman. Not just any white woman sure, but I can’t imagine anyone ever describing Michelle Kwan as ‘gorgeous with these classic looks.’ But it did not at all surprise me. Because implicit racist comments like this one are commonplace. What did surprise me was someone noticed it other than me. So thanks for calling it out.

Frau Muller

Maybe she meant US champion as in US Olympic champion — and the US hasn’t had a ladies Olympic champion in a while at this point. Also, I don’t see how the comment had anything to do with race as a previous poster suggested. It is possible to think that the current US ladies are beautiful, but to lament that the US has no recent Olympic champion — like Alina.

Right. Alina and Peggy - and Sonja and Katarina - were extraordinarily special in possessing extreme beauty, in addition to the skating skills to win Olympics. Now that we see the woman Alina, we can appreciate what a marketing gem she is...the Shiseido face! All of the quads and 3ple axels in the world won’t give a Ladies fs champ that double whammy: FS Oly ladies gold medal PLUS marketable beauty. Sonja, Peggy, Katarina, Alina. :sarah1:

LoopCombo

A gorgeous champion with ‘these classic looks’ — it did immediately occur to me that the poster meant a white woman. Not just any white woman sure, but I can’t imagine anyone ever describing Michelle Kwan as ‘gorgeous with these classic looks.’ But it did not at all surprise me. Because implicit racist comments like this one are commonplace. What did surprise me was someone noticed it other than me. So thanks for calling it out.
Honestly, I can imagine many people referring to Michelle Kwan as ‘gorgeous’ — the classic figure skating images she created over her long career are second to none in the minds of many skating fans. I do have an issue with the assumption that the term ‘classic’ must mean ‘white.’ When I think of the term ‘classic,’ I think of excellent, enduring, memorable, and sophisticated. Maybe archetypal of the sport in some way.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Right. Alina and Peggy - and Sonja and Katarina - were extraordinarily special in possessing extreme beauty, in addition to the skating skills to win Olympics. Now that we see the woman Alina, we can appreciate what a marketing gem she is...the Shiseido face! All of the quads and 3ple axels in the world won’t give a Ladies fs champ that double whammy: FS Oly ladies gold medal PLUS marketable beauty. Sonja, Peggy, Katarina, Alina. :sarah1:

I don't think any of them except Alina were exceptionally beautiful. Pretty, sure, but not drop-dead gorgeous. But tastes differ.

Perky Shae Lynn

What USFS and NBC would give to have a gorgeous USA female-singles champion with these classic looks...a face to launch 1,000 media campaigns...and put “butts in seats” at live skating shows.
Winning will put butts in the seats. Having another Michelle Kwan will put butts in the seats. Did Michelle have the classic looks per your definition? I don't know. To me she was beautiful. Beauty is so much more than symmetrical features, perfect hair and the "ice princess" image.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
In other words, of European, not Asian or African, heritage. Got it. :rolleyes:

Mariah and Bradie are European-American and neither will be World Champions, although I think Mariah and her endearing cuteness could sell cosmetics if she had the hardware and image. It remains a fact that the US best hope for a World or Oly medal at this point is half-Asian, and those that see beauty only in pure white faces will have to suck it.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Was just watching “Novosti” (news) on Russia Channel 1. Alina featured in the opening of the big ice rink on Red Square for the holidays! Also Navka, looking great. Maybe one of our Russia based members can download?
Look up a page before your post. There are two videos of the short segments of the show on Red Square last night.
Here is one from the Channel #1 news:

Few fan-videos were added since then, and one from Japanese TV (it made the news there).

Other clips and fotos

And Navka's costume is stunning!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Lots of news about Eteri's girls coming up in the media and social media... so here is more.

Vogue - Italia - "Sport and beauty at the Grand Prix of Figure Skating with the Russian Champion Alina Zagitova"

Fan-clip - Zagitova crying/cringing when Kostornaya falls from 3A in practice.

Trusova sends gifts to the kids at her former skating rink in Ryazan.

Shcherbakova - a good recap of her accomplishments and prospects (so far) on sports.ru (google-translates ok).

Kostornaya's last week interview (google-translates ok). She is happy that she, Sasha and Anna won gold, Gold for the whole team.

Tursynbaeva's Award Ceremoney short video (Best Athlete of the Year in Winter Sports).

--
Eurosport. Ranking of the top senior Russian Ladies before the GPF (listed in reverse order, starting with #10, results and tech elements listed under each name. google-translates ok)
1. Trusova
2. Kostornaya
3. Shcherbakova
4. Zagitova
5. Tuktamysheva
6. Medvedeva
7. Samodurova
8. Konstantinova
9. Tzibinova (Tsybinova)
10. Sakhanovich
----

Last edited:

_Lola_

Alina is of Tatar decent. Tatars originate from Mongolian region. I wonder whether they are considered Asians or Europeans? Alina is indeed drop dead gorgeous.

Kamila Valieva is also of Tatar decent.

Putin's mistress Alina Kabaeva is of Tatar decent as well.

Japanfan

Right. Alina and Peggy - and Sonja and Katarina - were extraordinarily special in possessing extreme beauty

Honestly, I can imagine many people referring to Michelle Kwan as ‘gorgeous’ — the classic figure skating images she created over her long career are second to none in the minds of many skating fans.

With the right make-up, lighting and clothes, pretty much anyone can become beautiful, or almost.

Michelle Kwan was not a typically 'pretty' girl, but she grew up into a very attractive women. A lot of that is polish and confidence.

ETA: And, make-up.

Last edited:

Finsta

I will agree with the make up comment. Alina wears a lot of make up for a teenager girl. Maybe it is Russian thing. Many interviews I’ve read they talk of make up.

Fairuza

Alina is of Tatar decent. Tatars originate from Mongolian region. I wonder whether they are considered Asians or Europeans? Alina is indeed drop dead gorgeous.

Kamila Valieva is also of Tatar decent.

Putin's mistress Alina Kabaeva is of Tatar decent as well.
For your information, only 5 percent of Tatar genetic code has got anything Asian in it. Volga Tatars have been living exactly where they are living for around a thousand years, have intermingled with all the surrounding ethnic and genetic groups, so their genetic code around the same as any other ethnic group in Russia around that area.

Japanfan

I will agree with the make up comment. Alina wears a lot of make up for a teenager girl. Maybe it is Russian thing. Many interviews I’ve read they talk of make up.

Don't most girl/female skaters wear a lot of make-up?

I've never worn any make-up other than foundation and lipstick, the reason being that when I was young, I was allergic to all the kinds of make-up that I tried. Plus was influenced by the whole 'natural look' thing of the 60s and 70s, I guess. So I never got into the habit. But I recognize that make-up can do much to enhance a person's appearance and regret that I never learned how to apply it skillfully. I'll add that in my view, most people do not know how to apply it to optimal effect.

That said, I don't think that teen girls particularly need make-up, as they have the beauty of youth. Had I had a daughter, I'm sure there would have been some battles about that.

I watched a video of Gabbie Daleman applying her (heavy) face make-up, a process which took about 30 minutes. Too me that was just a bit much. I do understand that FS has a gendered culture in which the girls and ladies make themselves up and do their nails. And that some make-up is needed for people who are under TV lights. However, I hope that some girls/ladies have challenged the dominant culture in wearing less rather than more make-up.

If I had had a daughter, I'd probably have enrolled her in a martial art rather than FS or ballet or gymnastics. And then she would have rebelled by going all girly on me. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information