From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Tinami Amori

Well, since Kolyada is my favorite skater, I wouldn't mind having, let's say, Samarin replaced by him :shuffle:
I love Kolyada, but that would not be fair. Kolyada did not just miss the RN, but the whole season. Plus, i doubt he will gain his top shape by Worlds (unfortunately). He had his surgery last week in October, 25-30? and has not been on the ice since then, until now.

My wish, is that he returns at least to a condition where he can skate in shows this spring and summer, to make some money, he needs it, and never mind competing this season.. :lol:

Eislauffan

I love Kolyada, but that would not be fair. Kolyada did not just miss the RN, but the whole season. Plus, i doubt he will gain his top shape by Worlds (unfortunately). He had his surgery last week in October, 25-30? and has not been on the ice since then, until now.

My wish, is that he returns at least to a condition where he can skate in shows this spring and summer, to make some money, he needs it, and never mind competing this season.. :lol:

Mikhail Kolyada was off the ice for four months actually. But since he was not injured (nothing broken, nothing torn) I guess he can regain his shape rather quickly. He probably needs to do the Russian Cup Final (Feb 18-22 in Veliki Novgorod) as he missed Nationals. It's important for being on the reserve team at least and getting funding. Makar Ignatov for example last year missed most of the season due to injury. He then skated at the Russian Cup Final and did well, was taken into the reserve team (I believe). The Russian Figure Skating officials said at Nationals that the Russian Cup Final is a chance for skaters that missed Nationals or didn't do well at Nationals.
Anyway, this was just Mikhail's first day on the ice and it is already good news that he is back.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

:eek:

This is so unfortunate, and I really don't appreciate the people making fun of her about this. On first thought, giving 32k to a fortuneteller sounds naive and stupid, but there was probably more to it. She was probably heartbroken about breaking up with her boyfriend, and con artists prey on people when they're vulnerable. They probably took the money in small payments - $1,000 here, $1,000 there. And they also told her they could heal her sister - Adelina has said before that she is very close to her sister and cares deeply about her. Plus, she probably feels embarrassed enough already that the story is in the news - the last thing she needs right now is people laughing at her mistake.

UGG

Well I am going to put this out there right now- anyone who pays that much money for a psychic regarding a boyfriend is very mentally ill and she probably needs psychological help. For her to be in that state of mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was abusive in some way and has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Those people are complete mind f**ks.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Well I am going to put this out there right now- anyone who pays that much money for a psychic regarding a boyfriend is very mentally ill and she probably needs psychological help. For her to be in that state of mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was abusive in some way and has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Those people are complete mind f**ks.
That is such a judgmental and unfounded statement. Psychics are for the most part swindlers. They prey on vulnerabilities, and someone who just went through a breakup would be vulnerable.

I'm sure Sotnikova didn't walk in and hand over $37K or whatever her total spend was. Con artists usually start small, they gain their target's confidence and then start asking for increasingly large amounts. Even thoroughly rational and intelligent people have been victimized by scam artists.

Tinami Amori

On first thought, giving 32k to a fortuneteller sounds naive and stupid, but there was probably more to it. She was probably heartbroken about breaking up with her boyfriend, and con artists prey on people when they're vulnerable.
--
Plus, she probably feels embarrassed enough already that the story is in the news - the last thing she needs right now is people laughing at her mistake.
Oh no she is not...... embarrassed.... :rofl:
Adelina is a drama queen, does not mind speaking to the press about EVERY event in her life, falling in love, falling out of love, boy-friend issues, and other sensations.

There have been at least 5 boyfriend dramas since 2016, that Adelina shared with the world... :D
- In 2016 she started dating a young TV host, Alexandre Molochko.
- then he cheated on her and it was a big drama, and Adel was posting "betrayed" stories on IG.. and gave interviews ...
- then in 2017 she hooked up with a son of a famous pop singer Valeria, Artemii Shulgin...
- then the previous one, Molochko, got dumped by his girlfriend and tried to get back with Adelina.. Adelina tried to sort it out between Molochko and Shulgin, and Shulgin left her for another girl, whom he knew from school and she was in his social league and rank, they are now married.
- then in 2018 Adel got into footballers and hockey players.... and started an affair with Vladimir Tkachev, AkBars hockey team in Kazan. She was flying there very often, more than he was flying to Moscow to see her. That affair went sour, he cheated and left her. She was giving interviews left and right how she is on a verge of a nervous break down, blaming the guy..

Also, Adelina was posting "betrayal stories" on IG, and that's when she got the swamie's help, who promised to "entice him back to her with magic".
- that did not work, and the next one is..... a footballer, from "Lokomotiv Moscow Club".. Dmitry Barinov..
... and Adel is giving interviews "she is in love"... :lol:

On her IG Adel posted "my mother is my best friend, but others often betray, i trust very few people". (but she keeps doing it.... :lol:).

In 2018 a guy, who was supposedly Adelina's fan and was giving her a lot of attention, one day burgled her beauty salon business. He walked in while customers were there, sprayed gas into customers' eyes, and grabbed the expensive cosmetic products off the shelves into a bag.. Police came, etc. It made the eve. news, on TV and in print (like TASS..... :lol:)

They probably took the money in small payments - $1,000 here, $1,000 there.
For the record.... she found them and contacted them first. in my experience, too many russian women believe in this stuff..

If one googles in russian "how to make your husband come back to you" or "make your lover marry you" or "how to scare away women who are after your man", "how to make him chose your and leave his mistress" you will get:
  • swami services
  • card reading services
  • ancient methods of "enticement" services
  • prayer you can say or we can say for you services
  • magic you can try yourself
  • herbs and flowers you can put in his food/drink
  • magic methods and words.
  • social and psychological methods/tricks..
Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) posts "prayers to make your husband come back" on youtube...

ROC - What to do if your husband cheats with another..

(Free) Video with instructions for a ritual "how to make your husband come home (away from mistress)"

(Free) Video with instructions "how to make him not-able with another woman".
etc...... :D

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Sometimes when I read your posts, @Tinami Amori , it is like from a completely different world. YouTube link on ‘How to make him not able with another woman’.... wow!!!....what can I say. I really struggle to comprehend that there are people who actually believe this. Using a banana... do majority of Russians believe in witches then?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Sometimes when I read your posts, @Tinami Amori , it is like from a completely different world. YouTube link on ‘How to make him not able with another woman’.... wow!!!....what can I say. I really struggle to comprehend that there are people who actually believe this. Using a banana... do majority of Russians believe in witches then?

I’m so sorry I clicked on that link. God knows what YouTube will suggest to me now.

I could do a long post about how Russia is still a feudal country with a lot of peasant superstition but there’s plenty of that garbage in the west as well. I’m old enough to remember the Ouija board fad and in college learned to read Tarot cards.

Perky Shae Lynn

I travel to Russia occasionally for work, and my Russian co-workers are not very different than anyone in Toronto for example. It all depends on the person's education, environment, and the host of other factors. I wouldn't speak of a "majority" anywhere, not in Russia, not in Canada, not in the U.S. There are cultural trends and differences; but it's impossible to paint a whole country with the same brush. Internet changed everything, people watch YouTube everywhere, same TV shows, etc. - the "borders" are greatly diminished.

p.s. It's a bad idea to take anything @Tinami Amori posts as an indication of how Russians think, or what they believe.

Last edited:

UGG

That is such a judgmental and unfounded statement. Psychics are for the most part swindlers. They prey on vulnerabilities, and someone who just went through a breakup would be vulnerable.

I'm sure Sotnikova didn't walk in and hand over $37K or whatever her total spend was. Con artists usually start small, they gain their target's confidence and then start asking for increasingly large amounts. Even thoroughly rational and intelligent people have been victimized by scam artists.

I don’t think it is unfounded. It’s common for people to develop mental health issues after break ups. That’s what makes them vulnerable in situations like this.

babayaga

I travel to Russia occasionally for work, and my Russian co-workers are not very different than anyone in Toronto for example. It all depends on the person's education, environment, and the host of other factors. I wouldn't speak of a "majority" anywhere, not in Russia, not in Canada, not in the U.S. There are cultural trends and differences; but it's impossible to paint a whole country with the same brush. Internet changed everything, people watch YouTube everywhere, same TV shows, etc. - the "borders" are greatly diminished.

p.s. It's a bad idea to take anything @Tinami Amori posts as an indication of how Russians think, or what they believe.
Well, unfortunately I can confirm. I can only speak about Ukraine, but it is very similar to Russia in that regard. When I go home, local TV is full with advertisements of witches and fortune tellers who promise all sorts of crap. Their business is blossoming. Of course it depends on a person, and most of my friends would never use such services. But they are sadly a minority.

babayaga

I don’t think it is unfounded. It’s common for people to develop mental health issues after break ups. That’s what makes them vulnerable in situations like this.
But it is also part of culture in many post Soviet countries. Maybe most of the population there is mentally ill already, I don't know how to explain the popularity of witchcraft otherwise.

Ka3sha

This.

Also, I believe that a lot depends on what people want to read/watch/look for - where there's a will there's a way.
I may come across few weird “fortune tellers” ads or tv shows, but can’t say that it’s very widespread. It’s the same as in Europe or USA (but that’s just my personal experience).

UGG

But it is also part of culture in many post Soviet countries. Maybe most of the population there is mentally ill already, I don't know how to explain the popularity of witchcraft otherwise.

oh well I guess that makes it different then, if it’s part of the culture and is common . I did not know that.

babayaga

I have never seen a fortune teller add in the US. Not once. And I don't know a single person in the US who would believe in such a thing. In my opinion, the difference is huge.

mjb52

There's lots of cases of people being scammed by psychics in the US. At the same time, it doesn't feel like part of the cultural zeitgeist here.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I have never seen a fortune teller add in the US. Not once. And I don't know a single person in the US who would believe in such a thing. In my opinion, the difference is huge.
Really? They are all over some cable shows and there are even billboards advertising psychics. It may be regional. Perhaps the most famous example is Nancy Reagan who relied heavily on astrology and used it to influence her husband in decision making, especially his last two years in office when his early onset dementia had already begun manifesting itself. If you ever go to NOLA, fortune tellers are all over Jackson Square and the French Quarter.

As for Adelina being a drama queen and posting her issue on SM, pretty much all young women do the same. Did people read Gabby Dalemen's posts after her last breakup? A breakup which contributed to lot of her issues on the ice??? Many people post their entire lives on SM accounts.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Come on Americans, how can you not remember Miss Cleo? She was making millions (for her company) and was a minor celebrity, less than 20 years ago.

This shit happens everywhere. Lose the sanctimonious judgement.

Adelina is a drama queen, does not mind speaking to the press about EVERY event in her life, falling in love, falling out of love, boy-friend issues, and other sensations.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If only she was as disciplined as those Tutberidze girls, right?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Let us not attempt to give a medical diagnosis absent a medical degree and appropriate testing.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Come on Americans, how can you not remember Miss Cleo? She was making millions (for her company) and was a minor celebrity, less than 20 years ago.

This shit happens everywhere. Lose the sanctimonious judgement.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If only she was as disciplined as those Tutberidze girls, right?

Gosh, thanks for bringing in irrelevant information. Yes, mediums make money. They get clients. This in no way diminishes Sotnikova's stupidity and desperation.

VGThuy

Hopefully next time, Adelina will have learned to respect herself enough to “Lemonade” rather than give away tens of thousands of dollars to scam artists in the hopes of getting an ex-boyfriend back. Maybe this will bring awareness to her side of the world to the fact that astrology and fortune telling is nothing but a fun pastime at best not to be taken seriously at all and at worst, an industry ripe for scam artists to prey on the emotionally, psychologically, and/or intellectually vulnerable.

zebraswan

I remember all the ads for the Psychic Friends Network, Miss Cleo, Walter Mercado...and I don't really think that televangelists and "prosperity gospel" preachers are any better. Unfortunately there are gullible and vulnerable people everywhere, and wherever they exist, there will be people who prey on them.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I remember all the ads for the Psychic Friends Network, Miss Cleo, Walter Mercado...and I don't really think that televangelists and "prosperity gospel" preachers are any better. Unfortunately there are gullible and vulnerable people everywhere, and wherever they exist, there will be people who prey on them.
Absolutely. People give away their entire life's savings to televangelists most of whom use that money to fund their lavish lifestyles. I see no difference.

VGThuy

Absolutely. People give away their entire life's savings to televangelists most of whom use that money to fund their lavish lifestyles. I see no difference.

Yep. There is no difference. The only difference is that Adelina Sotnikova is a well-known (on this forum) Olympic figure skater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information